Contribute
Register

G5 Front Panel Quick Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
You threw me off just a tad. Do you mean to say I can go directly from the G5 case's I/O component to the mobo input with wires?
By headers do you mean the 18 pin cord?

The header body (or housing), as in the black deals the pins go into. I would solder your precrimped cables (the cut end) to each of the G5 leads that you will need, then you can insert them (the other end with the female terminal) into the housings in the appropriate place for ATX standards.

Firewire Ground_________________#2

Firewire Power__________________#1-----12v x2 for 24v

Firewire TPA____________________# 4

Firewire TPA+___________________#3

Firewire Shield Ground____________#5

Firewire TPB____________________#6

Firewire TPB+___________________#7

So you just match those up to your motherboard firewire header and all should match up nicely.

Now if you are not using a firewire then you still need to use the Firewire Ground #2 to ground the front IO for the power button and the LED to work. You can use the ground on the F_Panel on your motherboard for this.

Your firewire ground will be pin #3 on your board header and the Shield Ground goes to pin #10

So G5 front panel is #2 to motherboard ieee1394a header pin #3

and G5 front panel is #5 to motherboard ieee1394a header pin#10

On your motherboard pin 4 is not used: as well as the second power pin #8. It has been a while since building this but you do not need the 24v for the panel it will run on the one pin 12v, I do believe.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/downloads/brochures/peripherals/1394_1.pdf

Thanks and thanks!
I snagged it from the other site a long time ago and was unable to know who it was. Their initials are at the bottom of the page lol

Can someone confirm this?!
is their any particular cable to use for the usb, got the power button and led working not bothered about firewire at the moment, i used the pin 2 fw ground, but struggling a bit with the usb, could it be usb shield ground, what type of cable do i use for this, anyone thanks

Hey,

did the wiring today @ work. Luckily all the necessary parts and tools (except the wires) have been available! Some of the original G5 front panel wires had to be identified by a voltmeter.

I used Heat-shrink tubing for all the soldered wires and finaly sleeved it.

Attachments

• IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,087
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back