Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Cutting straight to the chase, I need suggestions for a full build for video editing (some gaming.)
I just got into the video production program at my university and would like to have a strong desktop to use for editing at home. Why have I decided to build my own hackintosh? The usual cliché reason: I looked at iMacs and Macbook pros, but just couldn't get the grasp of spending that much money for little fire power.

I know this post is vague, but I know there are people here who are far more knowledgable than I am and I greatly appreciate that! Therefore type away with suggestions, build list, tips, questions etc!

***BUDGET: $1000 (but if you can build cheaper that'd be awesome. I'm a college student lol)
***won't be doing any 4k rendering. Mostly 720-1080p files.
***Adobe Premier and FCPX will be the main editing softwares used.

Thanks!

Here's an example 1000 dollar build that I put together at Newegg.

TRS 2015-09-02 at 11.52.18 AM.jpg

This will work great for both video editing and gaming, probably better for Premiere Pro than
FCP X. It comes in at right about 1000 dollars when you use the available coupon codes and
send in the rebates. If you need a 1 or 2 TB storage drive you can reuse one you've already
got or buy a new one for under 50 dollars. Click through the links in the buyer's guide for
the components that you can. The PSU is larger than you need but leaves the option to upgrade
to a better graphics card a few years down the road. If you can budget in another 30 dollars for
a Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler that is a good idea. The stock Intel will work but your cpu will be
hitting higher temps under heavy use. You can spend less on the case and PSU but these choices
are very high quality and will last you more than 5 years if / when you upgrade the cpu and mobo
after that.

is the i7 necessary or can I get away with an i5?

Sure, you can go with a 4690K instead. Render times will be slower but it will still work
for you. I use the 4690k with a UD3H board and it's plenty fast for me. I don't overclock
it at all.

A i7 has more threads than a i5. With a Core i7 you have 4 cores and 8 threads with a Core i5 you have 4 cores with 4 threads. you will have slower render speeds with a Core i5 than a i7 id personally recommend going with a Core i7. But its all up to budget at the end of the day. if your planning using Final Cut Pro then id recommend going with a ATI Radeon GPU also. if your going to use Adobe Premiere and After Affects then go with a Nvidia GPU to take full advantage of Cuda Cores. Hope this gives you an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back