Contribute
Register

Frustrated! How do I remove all Multibeast files, so I can start over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloaded and installed the 10.8.5 NVIDIA driver, following the instructions in this post:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/109352-nvidia-updates-web-drivers-10-8-5-313-01-03f01-4.html

So far it didn´t change anything.
Still the same, nice startup and then it hangs at the [PCI configuration begin] line.

Will try to update CUDA drivers also.

I can boot in SAFE-mode, but still not in regular mode.
I think there´s a kext or driver-thingy installed from Multibeast that I need to get rid of. I think, but that´s just a noob speaking... :) :crazy:

GRAPHICS CARD UPDATE:
• Apparently I cannot install any new CUDA drivers.
• Benchmark programs don´t even recognize any GPU on my system
• Graphics are super-slow, jagged, lagging...the works. Behaves like the GPU is waaay to small for the system when asking it to perform 2-3 things at the same time.

NOTE:
On the startup screen (Chimera or whatever its called, the screen with the cartoon apple and cartoon lion) I checked "Video Info".
It says "VESA v3.0 14MB NVIDIA" -------what does that mean? Does the main GPU have a built-in mini-me-GPU??

I wonder why the official TonyMac shopping list includes the GTX780, when its almost impossible to find a way to make it function fully in a professional setup.

• I cannot use search function in Finder, since apparently NOTHING has been indexed. WTF? (Safe mode issue?)
• Flash/Youtube doesnt work; cant watch videos (safe mode issue?)

RANT:
After too many days and nights of this crap, Im starting to wonder if this whole show even makes sense. I´ve got very cool components - but cant make them work, and I am wasting valuable hours on writing code instead of working. Great. :banghead::banghead:

NB: My GPU is installed in slot 2 or 3, does that have anything to do with the commands?

Move your GPU to Slot 1, the x16 port nearest the CPU. Make sure if the graphics card requires power that it is also connected. The reason you are unable to use your system is that you can only boot in Safe Mode. All your issues are the same on any system that cannot boot by itself from the hard drive outside of safe mode.

I can´t move it to slot 1, unless I dont want Wifi. The small slot under slot no 1 is occupied by the Wifi card, and my GTX takes up two slots.
I dont think I can install the wifi card in a larger slot..?

Which all leads me back to my initial question:
Is the best thing to do simply to remove all the kext files etc (e.g. using Kext Wizard) and start over?
AFAIK I cant just delete the files without creating even bigger problems...

A Multibeast un-installer would be a god-sent right now....
Perhaps an idea for future MB versions...

I can´t move it to slot 1, unless I dont want Wifi. The small slot under slot no 1 is occupied by the Wifi card, and my GTX takes up two slots.
I dont think I can install the wifi card in a larger slot..?

Well that assures us of your boot problem. I guess the question is maybe an alternative Wifi solution.

all leads me back to my initial question:
Is the best thing to do simply to remove all the kext files etc (e.g. using Kext Wizard) and start over?
AFAIK I cant just delete the files without creating even bigger problems...

A Multibeast un-installer would be a god-sent right now....
Perhaps an idea for future MB versions...

You have completely lost me as to what you want to uninstall.

Well thats assures us of your boot problem. I guess the question is maybe an alternative Wifi solution.

Maybe. I just dont get why I would need that. I have followed the shopping list on this site, to make sure I have working, compatible hardware. And the wifi card is the exact one TonyMac recommends, along with the MB.
Are you telling me that the root of all my problems is the GPU not being in slot 1??
I´ll try removing the wifi card, and place the GPU in slot 1. Not a great solution, since I then need another wifi card, but i reckon it´s better than a machine not working ...:problem:

You have completely lost me as to what you want to uninstall.

Sorry about that :)
Just figured that the issue would be a kext file or similar - not the fact that my GPU is using slot 2.
I´ll be back shortly with news on the slot change.

Thanks again for your help!

Maybe. I just dont get why I would need that. I have followed the shopping list on this site, to make sure I have working, compatible hardware. And the wifi card is the exact one TonyMac recommends, along with the MB.
Are you telling me that the root of all my problems is the GPU not being in slot 1??
I´ll try removing the wifi card, and place the GPU in slot 1. Not a great solution, since I then need another wifi card, but i reckon it´s better than a machine not working ...:problem:

You do have compatible hardware. The wifi card works, the motherboard works. The graphics card works, On the Z87X-OC there are 4 PCI lanes. With your graphics card in slot 1 you should have room to put in your Wifi card.

sorry about that :)
Just figured that the issue would be a kext file or similar - not the fact that my GPU is using slot 2.
I´ll be back shortly with news on the slot change.

Thanks again for your help!

Its no problem and no need to be sorry. I could tell in your head that you wanted it work the way you installed your hardware. It had me baffled as to why it wasn't working.

UPDATE:

I tried moving the GPU to the TOP slot.
I am assuming that is "Slot 1".
The MB manual has a Motherboard layout blueprint, but none of the slots are called "1".
They are called (from the top and down):
• PCIEX16 (Large)
• PCIEX1_1 (small one)
• PCIEX4_1 (Large)
• PCIM (medium)
• PCIEX8 (Large)
• PCI2 (medium)
• PCIEX4_2 (large)

At any rate, there was no change. Still cant boot outside safe-mode.
I double-checked the BIOS and everything seems to be configured correctly regarding the GPU priority.

And FYI: Nope, there is no room for the WIFI card in the small slot when the GTX 780 is installed.
It´s simply too thick.

Back to kext/driver detective work?

Yes in the X16 port. Can you copy your org.chameleon.boot.plist and post it here please. You have Init Display First to PCI. Internal disabled?

• Yes, internal graphics disabled in BIOS.
• Yes, "PCI slot 1" as priority at boot (I can also choose "PCI" as priority)
I assume the graphics wouldnt work at all (black screen), if there was something wrong with the bios settings...? Or does the BIOS simply go back to using internal GPU if the GTX 780 doesnt work?

Here is the file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string<