Contribute
Register

Fresh installation of 10.9.1 on 4540s - only boots in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly don't! My mistake... I'll try the DSDT patch and see what comes up.

BTW, you might want to check that your CPU is not ES/QS (engineering sample/quality sample)... that it is a genuine OEM or retail CPU with 'SR' markings.

BTW, you might want to check that your CPU is not ES/QS (engineering sample/quality sample)... that it is a genuine OEM or retail CPU with 'SR' markings.

The CPU in question bears the mark SR0V0, which according to ark.intel.com is the S-Spec for the production i7-3632QM units.
It was bought on eBay.

The DSDT patch did not affect the system. It still only boots in safe mode.

Can you think of any other ideas?

The CPU in question bears the mark SR0V0, which according to ark.intel.com is the S-Spec for the production i7-3632QM units.
It was bought on eBay.

The DSDT patch did not affect the system. It still only boots in safe mode.

Can you think of any other ideas?

Post ioreg with DSDT patch in place: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Check 'lspci -nn' in Linux Terminal. See if MEI device is there. OS X will not work without an MEI device... Something is wrong with your CPU/system/BIOS if MEI device is not present. Hardware issue perhaps...

Check BIOS settings. Update BIOS version... Check for VT-d being disabled if available in BIOS. Have you already tried dart=0?

Those are all the ideas I have...

I used a Linux LiveCD to type the lspci -nn command you suggested on a terminal. No MEI device and no 8086:103a device.

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version - F.43. I then removed my DSDT/SSDT, reboot then used ProBook installer to create a new DSDT and then applied your patch. No noticeable change.

I went through all of the BIOS settings. Nothing related to MEI/IMEI. VT-d does not appear in BIOS settings (which is understandable as it's unsupported for this CPU). I tried booting with dart=0, no noticeable affect.

Attached is a copy of my ioreg.

Attachments

• ProBook4540s.ioreg
    2.7 MB · Views: 132
I used a Linux LiveCD to type the lspci -nn command you suggested on a terminal. No MEI device and no 8086:103a device.

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version - F.43. I then removed my DSDT/SSDT, reboot then used ProBook installer to create a new DSDT and then applied your patch. No noticeable change.

I went through all of the BIOS settings. Nothing related to MEI/IMEI. VT-d does not appear in BIOS settings (which is understandable as it's unsupported for this CPU). I tried booting with dart=0, no noticeable affect.

Attached is a copy of my ioreg.

I think you have a hardware problem.

I appreciate your help. Can you think of a way to determine which hardware component is the culprit?

I'm pretty sure the MEI device is in the CPU.

I'm pretty sure the MEI device is in the CPU.

I tested the system using a different CPU, the MEI device does not appear as well which leads me to believe that there is a problem with the motherboard.

Thanks for your help.

Hy guys, i've just updated my cpu from 3110 M to 3632 QM (ver. sr0v0 rPGA)

Meaning, I was running my hack (Mav 10.9.2) , just opened my probook 4540s and changed the cpu.

Reboot. Everything works perfectly !

By doing this, am I wrong ?
Do I miss something ?
Do I re do the post install ? ( SSDT and stuffs for power management )

PF : 3232QM rPGA does not have VT,-d (As my old I3 hadn't) only the 3632QM BGA has.

Hy guys, i've just updated my cpu from 3110 M to 3632 QM (ver. sr0v0 rPGA)

Meaning, I was running my hack (Mav 10.9.2) , just opened my probook 4540s and changed the cpu.

Reboot. Everything works perfectly !

By doing this, am I wrong ?
Do I miss something ?
Do I re do the post install ? ( SSDT and stuffs for power management )

PF : 3232QM rPGA does not have VT,-d (As my old I3 hadn't) only the 3632QM BGA has.

You should at least generate a new SSDT, otherwise you may not be getting full performance from the new CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back