Contribute
Register

Freeze Poll - Gigabyte Z87 boards in general (And perhaps with D,3 & H in the ending)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people seem to set the XMP profile and then leave the remaining memory settings at Auto.

You might like to try setting not only the XMP, but also memory speed settings.

Ths may resolve some of your issues.

Also, it is not a good idea to mix different modules from different manufacturers. Although they may be the same speed, the timings for each may be different. This will not be helpful.

Thank you for the info. What information is used to set an XMP profile? I'm assuming that is a bios setting but I don't have a clue what it is or how to do it. We have well over a dozen Hackintosh machines here that I've built but never do anything to mess with the clocking or memory speed because we are a video production company and need stability over speed.

1. I own a Z87x-UD5H
2. Yes I have had freeze issues but have not tried 2 dimms, it's not really an option as the purpose of this build was to have at least 32GB RAM.
3. Setting XMP to disable in BIOS has helped, I've also read about increasing memory voltage by +.1 which I'm about to try.
4. Still working on fixing it and will replace the motherboard if necessary but I'd rather not have to!
4. Currently don't have Windows but will test and report as soon as I have it installed.

ga-z87x-ud3h. Freezes*with 4 memory modules, works with 2.

I never had freezing with my Z87X-UD3H in OSX. But here's my story:

Two different sets of Corsair 1600mhz ram - only issue was a "looping sound freeze" in HL2 based games within Windows. Both sets involved just two sticks of ram. Never four. I could set the ram to 1333 and the issue would stop. Bios f8 seemed to help with this matter, I had much fewer looping sound freezes but they would still sometimes happen. And I tried every combination of manual settings, increased voltage on the ram, memory controller, etc. Problem would never go away completely.

So, the entire time - I'm convinced it's my ram. I think I was right. I got rid of the Corsair ram, and replaced it with a pair of 4GB G.Skill Trident-X running at 2400mhz. I set the XMP profile to profile 1, and have never looked back. I have not had one issue with several hours of gaming since swapping the ram. I don't want to bash Corsair - not here to do that - but I'm convinced they have some timing issues with their ram running on Z87x.

ARE YOU AN OWNER OF A GA-Z87*-*** MOTHERBOARD ?? If so - WHICH ONE ?
Z87X-UD5H

Do you have more than 2 DIMMs ?? Explain.

4 8GB modules purchased on Amazon: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3-1600 1.35V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Modules BLT4C8G3D1608ET3LX0 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A14ZT7E/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have you had FREEZE ISSUEs ? (With or more or less than 2 dimms ?)
Yes. So far the freezes have only happened when iTunes is running in the background. The system appears to be stable when iTunes is not running.

What did you try to resolve the issue ?
At this point I'm researching the issue.

How did you end up resolving the issue?
I initially set up my system with XMP profile 1 and auto settings. I'm going to try disabling the XMP profile and manually setting the RAM. I believe this will also force the memory to run at 1333MHz.

How did your system run WINDOWS with more than 2 dimms?
I haven't installed Windows on this machine yet. Brand new build.

Edit (5/3/14 10PM): I disabled the XMP profile in the bios and set latencies and memory clock manually. System has been stable. I have opened a ton of apps, been playing iTunes and running Prime95 with no issues for the past 2 hours. If I get a freeze I'll update this post.

1. ARE YOU AN OWNER OF A GA-Z87*-*** MOTHERBOARD ?? If so - WHICH ONE ??
  2. Do you have more than 2 DIMMs ?? Explain.
  3. Have you had FREEZE ISSUEs ? (With or more or less than 2 dimms ?)
  4. What did you try to resolve the issue ?
  5. How did you end up resolving the issue ?
  6. How did your system run WINDOWS with more than 2 dimms?

1. Z87X-UD4H
2. No, 2 8GB dimms.
3. Yes - Same 2 dimms.
4. Full reinstall firstly. Not using XMP seemed to alleviate the issue for a while but it came back. After reinstall I reinstated XMP and added 0.5V to the memory, along with +0.02V to System agent voltage, Cpu IO Analogue and CPU IO Digital. Touch wood ok so far, including an overclock of 4.3ghz.
5. See above - Not confirmed that the issue is resolved yet though, more testing required. Stable for approx 24 hours at time of writing.
6. Absolutely fine from very quick testing, freezing only occured in OSX and eventually was very consistently occurring approx 5 minutes after logging in after a fresh boot.

I'm wondering if those of you always talking about 4 dimms and it working with 2 dimms are actually just using 2 x 4GB dimms, and that perhaps the problem lay with 8GB dimms as well as fully populating all slots. So 16GB ram either way can cause the issue, whether you get there with 2 x 8GB or 4 x 4GB.

I don't know if this will help anyone but I did some troubleshooting and found that an app I was running, called Function Flip, was the culprit of my hackintosh freezing. I thought for sure it was a ram problem just by reading these forums, but it was not. I just deleted the app, and it is now stable. I hope this helps someone. :idea:

I am running Mavericks 10.9.3 and have a GA-H87M-D3H / Intel i7 4790 CPU / Crucial 32GB Ram Hackintosh.

ARE YOU AN OWNER OF A GA-Z87*-*** MOTHERBOARD ?? If so - WHICH ONE ??
Yes. A Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H.

Do you have more than 2 DIMMs ?? Explain.
No. I have 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Finned 1600 GHz memory that is on the motherboard's memory verification list.

Have you had FREEZE ISSUEs ? (With or more or less than 2 dimms ?)
No freezes are all.

What did you try to resolve the issue ?
N/A

How did you end up resolving the issue ?
N/A

How did your system run WINDOWS with more than 2 dimms?
N/A. I don't use Windoze.

To prevent problems, I used memory on the GA-Z87MX-D3H memory verification list. The memory was correctly identified with the BIOS Parameter X.M.P. set to Disable. Additionally, my PSU was Haswell ready/certified to prevent Haswell processor low wattage idle from causing "the issue."

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...ell-matx-ga-z87mx-d3h-i7-4770k-hd-4600-a.html

I have the Z87X-OC board with 4 pcs. Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb dimms. I also run a GTX 650 Ti Boost card. I have had the feeling the lockups are related to video, since I believe most every time it happens, I'm moving the mouse, or dragging an image, something like that. I don't think I've ever come up to it after being away for maybe an hour and found it locked up.

Early on, I had lots of lockups, but for some reason, after trying everything I could find, it seemed to just settle down and it ran almost perfectly for weeks, maybe even months. But now the lockups have somehow returned.

My memories are supposed to run 1600 but I noticed a while ago bios was reporting them at 1866 so I must have set that one day in error but it has run at 1866 and cpu at 4.5ghz for months now with only an occasional lockup. I've always run the factory 9-9-9-24 timing.

So today in utter frustration I began reading the forums again looking for "the answer". Bios is 9c. I defaulted the board today and have the most generic standard-performance setup running now but just after doing that, I was in Google Earth, I grabbed an image and spun it around, and it locked up.

I have not resolved it yet.

I almost never run Windows directly on it but I do run Parallels with Win7 a fair amount. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I get lockups in Parallels or not... but I guess I can't be sure of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back