Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Hello guys,

I am having a problem with a freshly installed Hackintosh on an ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING with i7 9700K and CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport 16GB.

First, the installer didn't want to boot, so I had to use Clover with emulated NVRAM. After that the install was successfully finished with no issues. After the first boot, the UHD 630 was shown with 31 MB ram. As this is not my first hachintosh, I knew I had to fix it later with SMBIOS and/or ig-platform-id settings. But before that, I ran MultiBeast with the following config:

- UEFI Boot
- Audio > AppleALC
- Disk > Intel Generic AHCI SATA
- Misc > FakeSMC
- Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet v2.4.0
- USB > Remove XHCI USB port Limit
- Clover UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM
- Graphics > Core Graphics Fixup AKA Whatevergreen
- Graphics > Intel HD630 (Coffee Lake)
- System Definitions > iMac > iMac19,1

After reboot I can reach the login screen and after typing my password the OS froze at the spinner or sometimes reaches the desktop but instantly froze. Then reboots. No crash log or KP (I guess because of emulated NVRAM). No info if I boot with -v, but does not freeze in safe mode. But the UHD 630's memory is at least shown properly.

I tried other SMBIOSes but only 19,1 shows the proper UHD630 values.

Last edited:
I am thinking it's the SMBIOS which causes the issue. With a fresh Clover install and the default SMBIOS, it's booting up and not freezing but showing 31 MB vram. Injecting Intel ID does nothing. After I change the SMBIOS to 19,1 or even 18,3, it's freezing up after login.

plz sear GUIDE or SUCCES with sme CM. you may find delta or element taht you need to use

plz sear GUIDE or SUCCES with sme CM. you may find delta or element taht you need to use

yeah, i was looking for guides with same or similar setups, but they all got it working. there was this post this post where the guy was experiencing the same with his config. i tried to use 14,2 SMBIOS too, but still froze.

Okay, I reinstalled macOS from scratch. Installed Clover manually and added the necessary Kexts and EFI drivers. I attached my EFI folder. Once I set SMBIOS to 18,1, it booted okay and the system could be used. Thats when I was trying to download and install AppleALC because no sound output was present. Just when I downlaoded the kext, the system froze and rebooted. It booted again properly then froze after 1 or 2 minutes. After each reboot, the time to freeze was getting shorter.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.4 MB · Views: 51

Hi there.

A few ideas:

I notice your first install used FakeSMC but your second attempt used VirtualSMC and its plug-ins. I guess there was a reason for the change?

As you say you installed Clover "manually" how did you decide what went where? Or did you just use the Clover "Customize" option?

You clearly understand the iGPU issues and the need for NVRAM emulation :thumbup:

Have you disabled the on-board wi-fi ?

As a test, I think I would copy the EFI folder you created to somewhere safe and then use MultiBeast to set things up, fresh. Once done just compare the two EFI folders so you can see where they differ.

:)

I notice your first install used FakeSMC but your second attempt used VirtualSMC and its plug-ins. I guess there was a reason for the change?

I was just trying out VirtualSMC if maybe there was something wrong with FakeSMC that caused the freeze. I was just experimenting

As you say you installed Clover "manually" how did you decide what went where? Or did you just use the Clover "Customize" option?

I installed Clover with NVRAM from the .pkg, then added the kexts and drivers. I was going one by one, always adding one thing that was needed to boot. (Lilu, WEG, Fake/VirtualSMC then Ethernet). Then I compared the drivers64UEFI folder with the one on the installed pendrive and there was one or two efi that was missing, so I added them.

Have you disabled the on-board wi-fi ?
The mobo does not have wi-fi, only ethernet slot.

The main thing that annoys me is that there is no log about the reboot. Nothing. The only thing I found in system.log that the windowserver was shut down with SIGABRT. Everything works fine in Safe mode :|

Feels like kind of a power management issue? Could it be? Or the mobo forces the shutdown because, like it's reaching a temperature threshold? I checked the CPU is about 30c, the mobo is around 24.

If I stay on the login screen without doing nothing, or just typing the password without pressing enter, the system keeps running. As soon as I login, the chassis fan spins up a bit and the system freezes and reboots.

EDIT: I made an experiment, waited on the login screen for like 5min, logged in and it was working. I did nothing on the desktop, all good, even opened terminal. I wanted to open Clover Configurator and then it froze. So i worked for like 10min then died.

Last edited:
This was solved thanks to @mattystonnie. I updated my BIOS to the latest version and with his help, used a new clover config with ACPI patches. That helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back