Contribute
Register

[Fix] Intel HD4200/HD4400/HD4600 Mobile on Yosemite

[FIX] Intel HD4600 Mobile on Yosemite

Rehabman,

Would you be able to update the thread title to "[FIX] Intel HD4400/HD4600 Mobile on Yosemite"?

Yes.

[FIX] Intel HD4400/HD4600 Mobile on Yosemite

Since Yosemite HD4400 mobile (8086:0a16) & HD4600 mobile support (8086:0416) has been removed from the AppleIntelHD5000* drivers.

Please note that only HD4600 needs the config.plist items. HD4400 is natively recognized by the kext, but as discovered the problems in the dylib are an issue (although it didn't crash my preview...)

Fixed for HD4400 using the same method as the-darkvoid indicated - Patching the HD4600 desktop ID with HD4400 mobile ID makes the plugin work, and fixes the crashes in preview/quick look:
Code:
# HD4400 only
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x86\x80\x12\x04|\x86\x80\x16\x0A|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib
(Make a backup of libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib first)

the-darkvoid: the regex in post #10 doesn't work with the default perl version in 10.10 (maybe you're using perl6?). Since we want to patch all 3 references anyway (and if there was any other in a future version, we'd want to patch them too), I just used the intel IDs in the regex and replace all.

It's partially working on my HD4400: Preview does not crash anymore but it's working only with small picture files. If i try to open a jpg bigger than around 1000 pixels wide, it's immediately covered with a grey block...
Also, if i open a small file, i can rotate it with no problem but if i try to upscale it i get the same grey block over it.

Have you tried bigger files and/or scaling?

It's partially working on my HD4400: Preview does not crash anymore but it's working only with small picture files. If i try to open a jpg bigger than around 1000 pixels wide, it's immediately covered with a grey block...
Also, if i open a small file, i can rotate it with no problem but if i try to upscale it i get the same grey block over it.

Have you tried bigger files and/or scaling?

That looks like the behavior I got at some point when I was trying different IDs. It wouldn't crash anymore, but it would fail to load or log anything. Can you make sure you're not spoofing your intel gfx id in anyway (i.e., fakeID in clover or via dsdt injection).

Also, try signing the framework - it shouldn't matter since we all use kext-dev-mode=1 anyway, but it can't hurt:
Code:
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/
and reboot afterwards.

To answer your question, while I didn't do any extensive testing last night (was late when I got it working), I browsed through dozens of personal pictures (all exported as 2048px on the long edge) in quick look and opened a bunch of them in preview without issues. I did try rotate, didn't try to scale. Will be good to get more testing/feedback - it's entirely possible some code in there doesn't work for HD4400.

Both versions of this patch contain typos and will give an error if you actually try them. Could someone edit these at the top of the thread and double check to make sure there are no other typos? Things are confusing enough....

Code:
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|([\xFF\xFC\x3D])\x86\x80\x12\x04|$1\x86\x80\x16\x04|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib[SIZE=5][B]2[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

There's an extra 2 at the end.

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|([\xFF[B][SIZE=5]|[/SIZE][/B]\xFC[B][SIZE=5]|[/SIZE][/B]\x3D])\x86\x80\x12\x04|$1\x86\x80\x16\x04|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib[/COLOR]

Comparing with the first, it appears the bold pipes do not belong.
Code:
[COLOR=#4C2F2D][FONT=Courier]Unmatched [ in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/([ <-- HERE \xFF/ at -e line 1.[/FONT][/COLOR]

That looks like the behavior I got at some point when I was trying different IDs. It wouldn't crash anymore, but it would fail to load or log anything. Can you make sure you're not spoofing your intel gfx id in anyway (i.e., fakeID in clover or via dsdt injection).

Also, try signing the framework - it shouldn't matter since we all use kext-dev-mode=1 anyway, but it can't hurt:
Code:
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/
and reboot afterwards.

To answer your question, while I didn't do any extensive testing last night (was late when I got it working), I browsed through dozens of personal pictures (all exported as 2048px on the long edge) in quick look and opened a bunch of them in preview without issues. I did try rotate, didn't try to scale. Will be good to get more testing/feedback - it's entirely possible some code in there doesn't work for HD4400.

Well, i'm not spoofing my intel gfx id (no Clover fakeid or dsdt injection)...

I've tried to boot with kext-dev-mode=1 (i've never used this flag before in all my beta/DP and final Yosemite installations since all kexts are working fine without it...).

Anyway, even with this flag i'm not able to fix the issue (cannot try codesign since requires xcode which is not installed on my machine).

I'm using a260006 ig-platform-id and MacBookAir6,2 SMBIOS - What are you using?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

i am using HD4600, following your guide, got following error:

gniu-pro:Libraries gniu$ sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|([\xFF\xFC\x3D])\x86\x80\x12\x04|$1\x86\x80\x16\x04|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib2
Can't open /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib2: No such file or directory.

There is libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib in /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/, no libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib2

What wrong with me??

i am using HD4600, following your guide, got following error:

gniu-pro:Libraries gniu$ sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|([\xFF\xFC\x3D])\x86\x80\x12\x04|$1\x86\x80\x16\x04|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib2
Can't open /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib2: No such file or directory.

There is libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib in /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Libraries/, no libCLVMIGILPlugin.dylib2

What wrong with me??

Read post #35.

Well, i'm not spoofing my intel gfx id (no Clover fakeid or dsdt injection)...

I've tried to boot with kext-dev-mode=1 (i've never used this flag before in all my beta/DP and final Yosemite installations since all kexts are working fine without it...).
My bad - I'm using it for my AppleHDA injector which needs to be in SLE, but I guess not everyone needs it if you can inject all your kexts from clover.

Anyway, even with this flag i'm not able to fix the issue (cannot try codesign since requires xcode which is not installed on my machine).
You can get codesign as part of the command line tools, without installing the full xcode. Just type make in a terminal, and it will download the CLI tools for you (~700MB download). Quite honestly, I'm not sure it will help, it's just the only difference I can think of between your setup and mine.

I'm using a260006 ig-platform-id and MacBookAir6,2 SMBIOS - What are you using?
Same here.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Nope.

You can get codesign as part of the command line tools, without installing the full xcode. Just type make in a terminal, and it will download the CLI tools for you (~700MB download). Quite honestly, I'm not sure it will help, it's just the only difference I can think of between your setup and mine.

Ok, i'll try this but i'm not too confident it will make any difference.
Al least on my machine, this patch is for sure an improvement (no crashes and ok with small images) but not a full fix (big files and image scale).

Anyway, the Preview issue is not affecting only Intel Graphics: another guy is reporting the very same problem with an Nvidia 560ti with the latest web drivers...:(

Thanks for your support.

Back