Contribute
Register

Fix for gigabyte 4 dimm memory instability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to post a thank you note
Same. Had to search high and low and would never have thought of doing these adjustments myself. Thanks oculto_One note though. I managed to get my machine to run properly (well at least boot up) by doing the adjustments suggested. But after incrementally decreasing the values closer to their original values to find the sweet spot where the machine wouldstill work without sacrificing anything, i found these values to work for my setup1) trfc- from original XMP profiles 128 to 1352) tfaw- from 24 to 343) dram voltage- from 1.5 to 1.56Might be able to go closer still but this is good enough for me.So if anyone else is using Corsair vengeance 4x4GB kits, this might help you out.using h87-hd3, i5-4570, corsair vengeance 4x4GB

Hi, try updating your BIOS from here :

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...beta-bios.html

solved all my problems :)

EDIT 23/01/2015 : Had another freeze again yesterday, the BIOS update from F8 tot F9f didn't solve the 4 dimms problem...BIOS settings without XMP does ! but then RAM works @ 1333 MHz instead of 1600 MHz...I doubt I can feel the difference between the two settings in practice (DAW) anyway...
Although the freezes stayed away for the longest time ever after installing beta-BIOS, Gigabyte should address this problem with a decent BIOS-update for all their MB's coping with this problem...
RAM @1333 MHz it shall be for the moment. Tired of searching for another solution.

Thanks oculto - I tried a lot of different things to fix the constant (every few minutes) freezing I got with a clean install of Yosemite on my build with 4 x 8Gb DIMMs - Corsair (CMX8GX3M1A1600C11 XMS3 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL11)

Nothing worked (BIOS, voltage changes, CStates, clock speed), except your changes to the memory timings.

I changed:
increased tRFC to 280 and tFAW to 50, and tRRD to 8

Now > 30 hours without a freeze. Back to happy!

Thanks

No freezes anymore with 4 dimms of 4GB RAM @1600MHz (XMP profile 2) after I flashed BIOS back to F8 and installed AppleACPIPlatform.kext rollback 10.9 from multibeast...

No freezes anymore with 4 dimms of 4GB RAM @1600MHz (XMP profile 2) after I flashed BIOS back to F8 and installed AppleACPIPlatform.kext rollback 10.9 from multibeast...

how long have you already been without freezes? did you run heavy tasks or tests?

how long have you already been without freezes? did you run heavy tasks or tests?

No freezes so far...fingers crossed...(BIOS F9f, XMP profile 2, Vt-D+Wake on LAN+onboard Audio and Graphics disabled,... ).
Did multitrack recording in Logic X and Ableton, moved plenty of GB's to USB-HDD, lots of multitasking without a problem...
I'll report if I get a freeze...

Success for now and testing on memtest 5.01. So far no Errors !!!

2x8GB + 2x4GB Crusial Ballistix Sport, BLS8G3D1609DS1S00 and
BLS4G3D1609DS1S00

In the beginning i couldn't get more than 2 ram strips in the machine. Ending up in an Endless loop.
ALREADY SEARCHING FOR THE ASUS Z97-A …. AS AN ALTERNATIVE.

Than followed exactly Ocultos description on first page.

1) note (or print/photo) all RAM TIMINGS you are using on XMP profile. OK
2) disable XMP profile and put memory timing on MANUAL OK
3) change manually all timings values to the XMP values you printed, but increase tRFC to 280˜310 and tFAW to 50˜80, also change tRRD to 8 or higher ..... it seems this could solve the problem with 4 dimm... (**) /OK
4) adjust memory voltage to XMP values and memory multiplier to 1600MHz (depending on RAM, it could be changed…) /OK
5) put the memory mode to NORMAL or ENHANCE STABILITY. verify if command rate is 2T /OK

This made it possible to add at least 2x4GB to the 2x8GB

THANX A LOT YOU GUYS !!!

DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE VOR SLIGHT OVERCLOCKING?

I have 2 dim memory 16gb but when I put in another 16gb it freezes I also have a gigabyte board I am new in the bios if I can ask what can I do I am using Yosemite thank you

I tried to downgrade bios says I can't. I have bios f10beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back