Contribute
Register

First time build! Motherboard advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Nothing yet
CPU
i5 3570K
Graphics
GeForce EN210(temporary)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So, I'm new to the hackintosh world and plan on making a hackintosh compatible computer for Christmas. Most of the components are already at my place. I only need to order the motherboard and graphics card.:D

Specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (I will get an SSD after Christmas.. I'm short on money after buying presents!)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX 80+ Bronze 600 Watt
GPU: ASUS GeForce EN210 (This will get upgraded to the newest generation of cards when they get released.:cool:)

So, I need to buy a motherboard that is not too expensive. I can see that most are running the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H, but that isn't really my cup of tea because I will use this as a gaming rig and that motherboard only has support for 5.1 analog audio and no digital audio. So i was looking at the GA-Z77-D3H but that one doesn't have audio support at all in OS X. And my main question is should I get the DS3H and buy a separate sound card or buy the D3H and get one of those cheap USB sound cards or can I buy a completely different board at roughly the same price but without those drawbacks?

So, I'm new to the hackintosh world and plan on making a hackintosh compatible computer for Christmas. Most of the components are already at my place. I only need to order the motherboard and graphics card.:D

Specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (I will get an SSD after Christmas.. I'm short on money after buying presents!)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX 80+ Bronze 600 Watt
GPU: ASUS GeForce EN210 (This will get upgraded to the newest generation of cards when they get released.:cool:)

So, I need to buy a motherboard that is not too expensive. I can see that most are running the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H, but that isn't really my cup of tea because I will use this as a gaming rig and that motherboard only has support for 5.1 analog audio and no digital audio. So i was looking at the GA-Z77-D3H but that one doesn't have audio support at all in OS X. And my main question is should I get the DS3H and buy a separate sound card or buy the D3H and get one of those cheap USB sound cards or can I buy a completely different board at roughly the same price but without those drawbacks?

Have you looked at MSI or ASUS boards? With a BIOS from http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/ and considering the advice here http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desk...-gigabytes-z77-h77-b75-motherboards-uefi.html , there is no reason to think the Gigabyte boards are any better OOB than the ASUS or MSI, you can probably find one to fit your needs/budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back