Contribute
Register

Finally Works Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tested!!!!, the Framebuffer "Bulrushes" doesn't work! Duckweed does, so i will leave it like that.

Do you have dual dvi working? Or are you using one dvi and one hdmi?

Rectify, with a DVI, Bulrushes doesn't work, but Duckweed does.

I haven't tested Bulrushes with HDMI yet ;)

I was able to get my Sapphire 6850 working today after much work, crashes, and basically stalking every post redshift has in this forum (Thanks Redshift).

Eventually, what got it working for me was making sure I didn't have any conflicting Ati Kexts in S/L/E. Then reinstalling my DSDT using the latest version of Multibeast. Then I set GraphicsEnabler=Yes, AtiConfig=Bulrushes, and AtiPorts=4, and voila it seems to be working great. Fully recognized by the system, dual monitors, and I seem to be getting full hardware acceleration. Though I'm looking for ideas on how to test that.

I'm running a Gigabyte-P67A-UD3 F4 with Lion 7.2 installed.

wingjosh said:
I was able to get my Sapphire 6850 working today after much work, crashes, and basically stalking every post redshift has in this forum (Thanks Redshift).

Eventually, what got it working for me was making sure I didn't have any conflicting Ati Kexts in S/L/E. Then reinstalling my DSDT using the latest version of Multibeast. Then I set GraphicsEnabler=Yes, AtiConfig=Bulrushes, and AtiPorts=4, and voila it seems to be working great. Fully recognized by the system, dual monitors, and I seem to be getting full hardware acceleration. Though I'm looking for ideas on how to test that.

You're Welcome! Thank you for doing the search and I'm really glad that you were able to work it out for yourself because you will have learned a lot in a short time about hackintosh fault finding! :thumbup: I thought I was being stalked but then I just realized I'm paranoid!

To test acceleration, just run DVD Player or Chess. If it doesn't crash, your good to go.

For the OP, the DVI-D port does not work OOB with Bulrushes, but the DVI-I port that is on the same slot as the HDMI port does. If it doesn't, then likely you have installed some additional kexts that are conflicting including the ATI patches in Multibeast.

To restate, HDMI, DVI-I, and DP ( although triple monitors will only work if you have 1 Active Display Adaptor ) work OOB with AtiConfig=Bulrushes, AtiPorts = 4 for the Gigabyte 6850C HD 1 GB card. We have proven it time and time and time again. If its not, you have installed a conflicting kext, and need to do a search and read of some of my fault finding posts to correct.

Good Luck! I haven't replied to any more on this as I think all of the answers are included in other posts and help that I've given over the last month or two.

If all else fails, set up a small hd partition, reinstall Lion without any graphics options from Multibeast other than Radeon Monitor, and try it that way with the right config in the org.chameleon.boot.plist file.

wingjosh said:

I'm running the i52500k with a sapphire HD 6850 also, but on a GA-z68a-d3h-be mobo. I'm new to hacking tosh, when you say you set GraphicsENabler, aticonfig and ports, where do you actually do this? In the command line just before booting that comes up if you start typing? What specific ATI Kexts did leave/remove.

I deleted all the ATI kexts except ATI support, ATI600, and one other then
I booted with GE=yes, AtiConfig=Bulrushes, and AtiPorts= 4, and not the screen starts to boot at the apple logo, followed by a weird blue blocks flicker or maybe 1/3 second then go to what would be the desktop because I have a mouse but everything is grey. It's the same for both DVI ports.

I went back and booted with everything the same but with Duckweed again and it's still grey. Any thoughts?

Tried to add second monitor (#2) 1920x1080 in addition to my Apple Cinema Display (#1) 2560x1600. Wrote both Aticonfig=Bulrushes and Duckweed in as kernel flags and added them as strings to no avail. Always including AtiPorts=4

DVI PORT
Not able to achieve anything using the second DVI used both Bulrushes and Duckweed.
Monitor #2 is recognized with bulrushes, no picture
Duckweed does nothing as far as i can tell
Picture on #2 runs through BIOS and into chameleon boot screen, drops afterwards
Bulrushes causes my #1 screen resolution to fall from max of 2560x1600 on my main display to 800x600 max
Dual screen works perfectly in windows.

HDMI PORT
HDMI is recognized regardless of flags
Picture only with Bulrushes .
Bulrushes causes my #1 screen resolution to fall from max of 2560x1600 on my main display to 800x600 max.
Bulrushes causes image blur and color distortion on monitor #2, allows full 1920x1080 resolution
Picture drops out on #2 right after bios and before chameleon boot screen.

Was really happy with the Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850 at first when it was OOB for first display, but having real problems setting up the second. I am not real sure what Duckweed or Bulrushes accomplish. I assume Duckweed is loaded by default because it truly does nothing. If there is another solution other than these flags I would love to know because they absolutely do not work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back