Contribute
Register

Final Customac Pro Socket 2011 Build - Am I good to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone! I’m putting together the final details for my new socket 2011 build for video editing and motion graphics and I’m hoping I can get some confirmation this is a workable build before I spend all the money. I’ve taken all of my items from the May 2014 Customac Socket 2011 Buyers guide with 2 exceptions: the CPU and the graphics card. I’m hoping you folks can let me know if the substitutes I’ve come up with are still workable for a OSX.

I’ve substituted the GTX 760 for what seems like a better card – the GTX 770 (4 GB) – I’d rather have the GTX 780, but my understanding is that it’s extremely difficult to get working as opposed to the 770 which works out of the box. Is this correct? I do notice that the GeForce GTX 760 is the only card listed in the Socket 2011 plan and also says ‘required’ next to it, so I want to make sure getting a different/better card wont be an issue.

I’ve also substituted the Xeon E5 1650 v2 for what looks like a better version of the same processor, the Xeon E5-2630 v2. Is this okay? If not, should I just go with the Intel i7-4930K?

I’ll need this build to at least be able to install OSX Mavericks so I can run the Adobe CC products. I also need to have a graphics card that will support CUDA for Premiere and After Effects. Here’s the complete build below:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2630

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 (Water)

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 (4GB)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 (8x4)

Drive: Samsung 840 EVO-Series 250GB SSD

PS: Corsair AX 760 Watt Modular

Case: Corsair Graphite 600T

Can anyone tell me whether this build is workable? I'm ready to pull the trigger and build this thing!

Thanks so much for your help!
Luke

Where the guide says "required" next to the graphics card, I believe that means that you will need a graphics card (i.e., any compatible graphics card) rather than the GTX 760 specifically, because the CPU will not have a built-in GPU. I can't comment from personal experience on the ease or difficulty of getting a GTX 780 working, but if it's listed in the guide then it should work (but might take you more effort than a GTX 770).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back