Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AsRock Fata1ity Z270 Gaming ITX
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
WX5100
I decided to update from Sierra to Mojave. Installation seemed like it went well. Most things seem to work like Ethernet and Audio but what I am having a problem with is fan speed of the CPU fan and possibly the GPU. The CPU fan is spinning at around 3300 rpm even when set to Silent in the BIOS setting. It will not go down at all. This was not an issue on Sierra. The GPU fans seem to be spinning fast too but the CPU fan is more concerning to me. My system is the same as in my profile except that I got a RX 560 GPU instead.

I decided to update from Sierra to Mojave. Installation seemed like it went well. Most things seem to work like Ethernet and Audio but what I am having a problem with is fan speed of the CPU fan and possibly the GPU. The CPU fan is spinning at around 3300 rpm even when set to Silent in the BIOS setting. It will not go down at all. This was not an issue on Sierra. The GPU fans seem to be spinning fast too but the CPU fan is more concerning to me. My system is the same as in my profile except that I got a RX 560 GPU instead.

Hi there.

First thing I would do here is flash the BIOS to the latest version. Even if you already have this, re-flash it etc. :thumbup: Fan speeds were an issue with some Gigabyte BIOSs and this was fixed at around F4 or F5 (my memory fails me as to exactly which version).

Once done if the problem persists and there has been no hardware change and everything worked okay in Sierra, then double-check what Hardware Monitor app and extensions you have installed. Remove them and see if this makes a difference. If they are not installed to begin with, there might be some Clover setting causing this. Using Clover Configurator to examine your config.plist, in the Acpi tab and SSDT section, do you have the PluginType tick-box ticked? That helps the CPU power-states. Otherwise macOS doesn't know how to access a BIOS directly. True, a BIOS can get corrupted or reset, and there's a setting in MultiBeast to help prevent this, but I suspect that is a different issue anyway.

For your RX560, can you boot Windows and load the manufacturer's (Gigabyte/ASUS etc) GPU utility? In there you can see the fan curve and by default the fan should not come on until 60-degrees-C. Does this all work okay?

Hopefully all that will give you something to go one. Let us know etc. :thumbup:

:)

Hello,

So I tried to flash the BIOS using Gigabyte APP and it only reflashed and didn’t get the newest BIOS which is F23a or something. I’ll try that suggestion for Clover Config on the ACPI when I get a chance. I did install Windows 10 on a separate SSD to test the GPU using MSI Afterburn( it is an MSI GPU) and according to the app the fans were running fine. I guess the GPU is just loud in general . I’ll post back when I try Clover Config.

So I went to the section you were telling me about and there is no tick check for it. It has a drop down option of 1 or 2. I also was able to flash to newest BIOS of F23f and jo change in the CPU fan.

So I went to the section you were telling me about and there is no tick check for it. It has a drop down option of 1 or 2. I also was able to flash to newest BIOS of F23f and jo change in the CPU fan.

Okay.

Three things ...

1) Here is the tick-box I mention. It's to the right of the pull-down menu:

2) What version of Clover are you using? You might think about updating FakeSMC to the latest and also resetting any NVRAM emulation you have. You can manually remove the NVRAM.plist in the EFI partition and then use Clover to install the latest NVRAM emulation, or use the latest MultiBeast to install Clover along with NVRAM etc.

3) Finally, I don't think this will work but if you feel confident installing and removing kexts it might be worth testing the NullCPUPowerManagement kext from the Drivers/Misc tab in MultiBeast. Remove it again if there's no difference.

Good luck :thumbup:

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back