Register

FaceTime camera kext for 4530S

Status
Not open for further replies.
blueking said:
GFX34 said:
blueking said:
Alright. Then we will have to add this!

Is there a way to add all the device id's into one kext?
You should be able to duplicate the contents of the kext and add different ids. OS X will pick the relevant one and ignore the rest.

What do you mean by duplicating the contents?

What exactly would I duplicate?

I think he means adding multiple ids to the .plist so it recognises all of them.
Only other thing I can think of is copying the kext and having a different device id in each which I think is a bit of a waste.

I found this thread because I am also trying to fix the FaceTime issue that others have complained about; looking *very* pixelated… as if the camera were only 30 x 70 pixels… that, and after a half minute, the whole image starts flickering madly.

According to ideasonboard.org the Sunplus 1bcf:2809 webcam that comes with the Dell 3550 *is* supported by the Linux UVC driver, but it didn't say anything about whether the Sunplus 1bcf:2888 that came with my HP 4530s is UVC. I mean it is 28XX like the Dell's... so, it probably is, wouldn't you think?

At any rate, I followed the instructions to the letter, editing the AnyiSightCam.kext (all 3 instances of both ID's in hexadecimal) and then installing it in S/L/E. In 'About my Mac' the webcam did show up as a 'Built-in iSight", which it didn't do before the kext... Unfortunately, the webcam simply doesn't function with kext installed... I get no image at all. Same with PhotoBooth.

Here is a before and after file and a portion of the actual edited kext, highlighting the edits.

Before.pngAfter.pngkext (cropped).png

Anyway, I removed the kext and I'm pretty much back where I started... highly pixelated FaceTime.
AND is there anything else I can do aside from the instructions to get my this webcam to function as it is supposed to?
Thanks in advance for any help.Rob

Anyway, I removed the kext and I'm pretty much back where I started... highly pixelated FaceTime.
AND is there anything else I can do aside from the instructions to get my this webcam to function as it is supposed to?
Thanks in advance for any help.Rob

This kext helps a little bit for cameras that are already recognized and working to some degree. It looks like yours isn't compatible.
What about trying different one? 4530S camera modules are $5 on ebay and replacement takes like 2-3 minutes (no scredriver needed)

just for the record since we don't have 4530S wiki:

my module has SN9C234A Sonix PC-CAM controller
http://www.sonix.com.tw/sonix/family.do?f=3#PC-CAM Controller

25L5121E Macronix 512Kb serial flash
http://www.macronix.com

Camera identifies itself as Primax VID:pID 0x0461:0x4DC7

After using this kext it worked as expected - changed the webcam id and name in my system, but there's another problem - I can't use Fix for dark cam anymore. Can anybody post an old kext for HP Fixed (vendor: Chicony) webcam, please? I tried to re-run the ProBook installer 6, but it didn't replace that new iSight kext with the old one.

Thanks

--
UPDATE: no need, simply unloading and removing the kext reverted all the changes.

@bigdonkey
I have a probook 4530s with same webcam as you (same vendor/product id). I installed the kext you attached and my camera works for about 5-15 seconds before it stops. Do you have any ideas what might be causing it to freeze?

Re: iSight Video camera kext for 4530S

Thanks guys for testing!

Thanks for the pointers. I will look at Macbook dump for the proper name.

@lipo
Your ID's are different. Please try this one.

This kext is for Chicony camera ProductID=0xb230 VendorID=04f2
AnyiSightCamChico.kext.zip

@Inmike09
My Skype video also looks better than Facetime or Photo booth. This camera needs good light.

I googled for a chicory kext and found yours. I have a different Chicony camera, id 0xb59e, but I just wanted to let you (and anyone else googling) know I got it working by replacing the vendor id in config.plist.

For reference:

You can get a Chicony camera with id 0xb59e working on a hackintosh by downloading the kext attached to the quoted post, opening it's contents/config.plist, and replacing all occurrences of 45616 with 46494

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back