Contribute
Register

Extremely slow 6-7 minute boot time with Monterey 12.0.1

The question is: How long will that continue with the 970 EVO ? Keep an eye on it and report back in a few months. If it keeps working with no problems, you'll be having a different experience than everyone else using Samsung NVMe drives with Monterey.
I can say with absolute certainty that the boot times on this 970 are night and day from when I swapped it for the sn750. I’ll let it run for the 10 weeks it took for my sn750 to die and report back. Worst case, I’ve got a spare that’s identified by name by the OC Devs that’ll be here on Monday.

I have two 970 EVO Plus drives purchase back in mid and late 2020 and they are both Model MZV7S500. The PIN is MZLVB500HBJQ.
Whatever the model name if it's not made in 2021 it's got the Phoenix controller. Are you using them with macOS Monterey ?

I have no hackintosh but I have the same problem when replacing the blade in my iMac 27" 2017. Monterey was installed from scratch. It takes more than 3 minutes to boot after entering FileVault password.

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1TB
PN MZVLB1T0HBLR
MODEL MZ-V7S1T0 2021.10
Firmware 2B2QEXM7

>log show --last boot | grep "trims took" 2022-01-20 01:14:25.161094+0100 0x347 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk2 scan took 191.563105 s, trims took 191.215169 s

Whatever the model name if it's not made in 2021 it's got the Phoenix controller. Are you using them with macOS Monterey ?
Thanks for the info. While Monterey was on one of my drives to test, I did not test it long enough. Currently it is Catalina. I may give it another go.

I have two 970 EVO Plus drives purchase back in mid and late 2020 and they are both Model MZV7S500. The PIN is MZLVB500HBJQ.
According to Samsung this is something similar to the PM981a not the 970 Evo Plus.
These drives should not be used with macOS or APFS.

Screen Shot 16.jpg

Last edited:
Well that's confusing MZVLB or MZLVB. On my drive it says MZLVB500HBJQ however on the retail box it says Model: MZ -V7S500.

I've had no issues since April of 2020 using them with macOS. Monterey, maybe a different story... will have to get back to you on that.

Update: So today I did an upgrade from Catalina 10.15.7 to Monterey 12.1 on one of my Samsung 970 Evo Plus drives. I have all my apps, music, videos, documents etc on it... the disk is more than half full. My boot time from OpenCore to Desktop is about 17-20 seconds. Will report back if it increases in the future.

Last edited:
The SN850 would give you much faster write times even if the X299 board won't support PCIe 4.0 speeds. You can still use it with macOS/APFS and not worry about Samsung NVMe TRIM problems cropping up later on. Our best choice for hacks is to use the WD_Black SN850 for macOS and the Samsung 980 Pro for Windows or Linux in a multiboot setup. Really can't do better than that for performance.

View attachment 539858

Up to 1,000,000 IOPS (1TB and 2TB models)

View attachment 539857
Oh shoot, I guess I got the wrong model – got the SN750 instead of the SN850.
Any reason to go SN850 instead of 980 Pro other than potential unforeseen TRIM issues? The 980 seems to be working beautifully with TRIM enabled. Are r/w speeds faster on the SN850?

got the SN750 instead of the SN850.
Your motherboard only supports PCIe 3.0 so the SN750 is a good choice and saves some money.
The 980 seems to be working beautifully with TRIM enabled. Are r/w speeds faster on the SN850?
This why we recommend the WD Black SN850 for use as a macOS boot drive if you have a PCIe 4.0 capable motherboard. It performs the best and has the highest level of macOS compatibility. Intel Optane SSDs are not compatible with macOS and are a lot more expensive as well. You should read the entire article about the WD SN850 compared to other consumer SSDs on the AnandTech site.

1643064137570.png

Last edited:
Your motherboard only supports PCIe 3.0 so the SN750 is a good choice and saves some money.

This why we recommend the WD Black SN850 for use as a macOS boot drive if you have a PCIe 4.0 capable motherboard. It performs the best and has the highest level of macOS compatibility. Intel Optane SSDs are not compatible with macOS and are a lot more expensive as well. You should read the entire article about the WD SN850 compared to other consumer SSDs on the AnandTech site.

View attachment 540243

Thank you for the reply. I understand the importance of having a faster boot drive, but I'm still left with all of my questions unanswered. Perhaps its best if I re-state my questions more clearly:

1. In macOS 12, what are the real-world read/write speeds (in MB/s) for the WD_Black SN850 on a PCIe 3.0 motherboard?
  2. Does the 980 Pro have any issues with TRIM on macOS 12? (I don't seem to have any issues with mine)
  3. If there are no issues with TRIM on the 980 Pro in macOS12 now, is there any reason to believe that we'll have any in the future?
  4. If the following were equal: r/w speeds, price, TRIM support, PCIe 3.0 + 4.0 compatibility – would there be any additional benefits to the WD_Black SN850 over the 980 Pro?

In macOS 12, what are the real-world read/write speeds (in MB/s) for the WD_Black SN850 on a PCIe 3.0 motherboard?
I've not tested one on a 3.0 revision motherboard. I would think the speeds max out at around 3,400 MB/s for reads and writes. Depends on how many PCIe lanes are available for it to use.
Does the 980 Pro have any issues with TRIM on macOS 12? (I don't seem to have any issues with mine)
The 980 Pros use a different controller than the 960s an 970s. Those use the Phoenix controller. So it may not have the same problems. We need a lot more long term testing to find out.
If the following were equal: r/w speeds, price, TRIM support, PCIe 3.0 + 4.0 compatibility – would there be any additional benefits to the WD_Black SN850 over the 980 Pro?
Yes, you can be certain that there are no problems with broken TRIM and long boot times. We've never seen it reported by anyone so far.

Back