Contribute
Register

Extremely slow 6-7 minute boot time with Monterey 12.0.1

Thank you for the reply. I understand the importance of having a faster boot drive, but I'm still left with all of my questions unanswered. Perhaps its best if I re-state my questions more clearly:

1. In macOS 12, what are the real-world read/write speeds (in MB/s) for the WD_Black SN850 on a PCIe 3.0 motherboard?
  2. Does the 980 Pro have any issues with TRIM on macOS 12? (I don't seem to have any issues with mine)
  3. If there are no issues with TRIM on the 980 Pro in macOS12 now, is there any reason to believe that we'll have any in the future?
  4. If the following were equal: r/w speeds, price, TRIM support, PCIe 3.0 + 4.0 compatibility – would there be any additional benefits to the WD_Black SN850 over the 980 Pro?
A recent 980 Pro firmware update caused my 12.0.1 / 12.1 to suffer from boot hang of 5 mins for a 2T drive with 1.2TB free. This hang did not occur until the firmware update, and was caused by the update.

The generally accepted explanation is the hang is Trim related, but I've never seen a complete story.

A WD SN750 works fine with 12.0.1. But that could change at any moment?

So rule of thumb, don't update drive firmware... unless you have to update drive firmware?! There's no rule of thumb.

This is where you need Apple to pitch in. Ooops!

For my Monterey setup, I switched from 500 960evo to Gen3 256 Apple SSD on a PCIe card. Boots almost 2x faster than my Big Sur.
Still debating if I should invest in a different NVMe, but the Apple SSD works. Yeah its only 250 and the read/write speeds are outdated.....but it just works.

For my Monterey setup, I switched from 500 960evo to Gen3 256 Apple SSD on a PCIe card. Boots almost 2x faster than my Big Sur.
Still debating if I should invest in a different NVMe, but the Apple SSD works. Yeah its only 250 and the read/write speeds are outdated.....but it just works.
Did you buy a very expensive adapter to use the Apple SSD in a PC?

Did you buy a very expensive adapter to use the Apple SSD in a PC?
No, I have some cheap ($18) Chinese adapters I bought from Amazon years ago.
"Sintech 28Pin to PCI-e Adapter Card,Compatible for SSD from MacBook Air(2013-2017 Year) and MacBook PRO(Late 2013-2015 Year) (with Heatsink)"

Also tried the OWC one (currently discounted for $29) but had problems recognizing it in certain slots on cold start.

Hi,
just my 2 cents..

Changing "SetApfsTrimTimeout" from "-1" to "0" solved the issue for me.
(OpenCore --> Kernel)

Cheers!
-----------------------------------------------
Model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB
Revision: 1B2QEXE7
Serial Number: S465NB0K672011J
Monterey 12.3.1

Hi,
just my 2 cents..

(OpenCore --> Kernel)

Cheers!
Monterey 12.3.1
Thank you Stathman. After applying your solution the Monterrey takes 10 sec now.

Hi,
just my 2 cents..

(OpenCore --> Kernel)

Cheers!
Monterey 12.3.1
By doing that you need to be sure to understand that you are disabling the Trim feature. On the long term this can lead to performance degradation, due to the nature of solid state drives. Whether one considers this acceptable for their use case is up to debate, but you really need to be aware that Trim will be disabled.

By doing that you need to be sure to understand that you are disabling the Trim feature. On the long term this can lead to performance degradation, due to the nature of solid state drives. Whether one considers this acceptable for their use case is up to debate, but you really need to be aware that Trim will be disabled.
I think this option only affects the booting procedure.
When the machine boots I get this from system information: (see attached file please).
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 121
I think this option only affects the booting procedure.
When the machine boots I get this from system information: (see attached file please).
Correct me if I'm wrong.
It means that your drive still supports it (in terms of hardware), but it won't run because it's turned off by the operating system (SetApfsTrimTimeout=0).

It means that your drive still supports it (in terms of hardware), but it won't run because it's turned off by the operating system (SetApfsTrimTimeout=0).
I'm not sure about that. I 'm getting speeds which I don't get if I turn it off. I have set it on with "sudo trimforce enable".
Is there any terminal command to check if it is actually enabled?

*edit*

From Dortania's documentation:

"Note 3: Trim operations are only affected at booting phase when the startup volume is mounted. Either specifying timeout, or completely disabling trim with 0, will not affect normal macOS running."

You can find it under 7.8 Quirks Properties -> 20. SetApfsTrimTimeout

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back