Contribute
Register

Extremely slow 6-7 minute boot time with Monterey 12.0.1

@BusterMachine - make sure you give credit to whom credit is due! The mighty @macntosh has been on top of this situation from the beginning, and I think I'm just parroting what he and others have deduced from this whole debacle.
OK, I did. And thanks to all contributing here. I have not had the time to test... but glad I did not upgrade to Monterey on my main drive which is a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus.

Last edited:
OK, I did. And thanks to all contributing here. I have not had the time to test... but glad I did not upgrade to Monterey on my main drive which is a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus.
Actually, credit wasn't really necessary :) but, thanks. Avoiding those affected drives wherever possible is probably the best option for now.

I switched from Samsung 970 evo to wd black sn750 and it’s night and day! Roughly 5 minutes from picker to desktop on the 970, and less than 15 seconds on the wd!
Thanks for the glowing testimonial. Anyone that is upgrading to Monterey should highly consider the WD Black SN750 drive for their boot drive. I hate slow boot times. It reminds me too much of how slow Win10 boots on old mechanical HDDs that many people still use as a boot drive.

I hate slow boot times. It reminds me too much of how slow Win10 boots on old mechanical HDDs ...
...or the painfully slow booting of openSUSE on some HDDs (I remember it well :sick:).

I decided to test. i backed up my files from my secondary NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB. Erased the drive using disk utility under Big Sur. I booted from a thumb drive and installed Monterey.

macOS Monterey boots in under 4 seconds every time. Only issue I ran into was the installer deleted my OpenCore EFI folder from my Big Sur EFI partition so I had to copy it back.

Last edited:
macOS Monterey boots in under 4 seconds
Most people experience the same thing after a clean install of Monterey. Then the boot times get longer as you use the drive more and fill it up with programs and data.

^ Will let you know. I am usually under or around 50% compactly. I will start putting some things on there. Thanks
Be prepared to test it for several weeks; possibly a month, or more; as the symptom may not rear its ugly head for at least that length of frequent to heavy usage.

Back