Contribute
Register

EXPERIMENTAL ATI 5770 GraphicsEnabler=Yes: Guide!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting the video signal to the right port on the graphics card on a hack is not as straight forward, as in Windows with the correct drivers.

As there are a whole bunch of people who have already done a lot of testing on the Kabyl boot file - I'd have a proper read through the thread for people with 5770s (his boot file was written to work with (almost) all 4XXX and 5XXX cards) and see what different frame buffers people have used to get the card working in different ways.

It's fairly safe to say that if people are using the Batmobile Gigabyte 5770 then Vervet is the best framebuffer to use if you are just using one or two of the DVI ports. Kabyl has set this as the default framebuffer for the boot file so for most people on this thread then they can just use the boot file and not worry about the fact that there are a bunch of different framebuffers out there.

I haven't tried the HDMI ports as I only have DVI connectors but people who do have HDMI inputs should try the HDMI ports and post back.

This is an experimental boot loader so it will need some experimenting! The good thing is that for most people with the 5770 - Vervet is the loaded by default and you shouldn't need to do anything else other than use the boot file.

The only frame buffers for 5xxx cards are the ones named after primates.

So with extensive Google research I came up with this list of frame buffers for the 5xxx cards:

Alouatta
Baboon
Colobus
Douc
Eulemur
Galago
Hoolock
Kipunji
Langur
Nomascus
Orangutan
Uakari
Vervet
Zonalis

I'd have a proper read through the thread for people with 5770s

Will do, however I'm not that worried about it as long as the dual displays work I'm good!

I may get to tinkering though ;)

I am using Asus EAH5850 and I was running 32bit driver - Uakari enabler.

I switched to 64bit driver using this guide and now I can see "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes" under Software.

I did a Cinebench OpenGL run to see if there is any performance difference. I was getting exactly the same fps before. Please see the attached screenshot. Is that right?

I have noticed one issue after switching to the new driver, whenever I boot up the screen keep on flickering with distorted windows. I have to put the machine to sleep using power button and when it wakes up the display becomes stable. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I have only switched over 30 minutes back and so far I have not noticed any green/red/blue pixels forming near the inactive screen areas.

EDIT:
I do get pixel formation sometimes and I sleep/wakeup the Mac to get it working again.

I was getting the pixels once a day or so using the old driver as well. But moving the window in the area used to resolve that issue. Now I have to just put the display to sleep and after waking up it's good.

EDIT:
Anyone knows if 2560x1440 mode will work with this driver. I am planning to get Dell U2711 but some people on this forum tried 5770/58xx/GTX460 cards with Dell U2711 but couldn't get the display to work beyond 1920x1200 with old driver.

Attachments

• Cinebench-post.tiff
    120.6 KB · Views: 258
I can confirm that on the HIS HD5770 1GB, Uakari enables the HDMI port. The image at first seemed a bit washed out, but I chose a different color profile and now it looks perfect. No flickiring after bootup or while OSX is running.

One more success report with this method. I just swapped by gigabyte silent cell for a sapphire vapor-x 5770 and all ports are working including displayport, dvi, and hdmi (with the exception of the audio). I was getting 2D animation lags on the gigabyte. Now, no more lags. Cinebench 11.5 scores went from 28-29 to 34-35.

I am getting occasional freezing with the :beachball: Mouse moves but no clicking.

I feel kind of silly asking a question on my own thread, but I noticed that there are two new frame buffers that apparently were released just for Mac. Does anyone know if they work better than Vervet? I think the two are Orangutan and Nomascus.

J

Jdutch101 said:
I feel kind of silly asking a question on my own thread, but I noticed that there are two new frame buffers that apparently were released just for Mac. Does anyone know if they work better than Vervet? I think the two are Orangutan and Nomascus.

J

All I would say is to try them at the Chameleon boot screen, using:
AtiFb=XXXX

If it doesn't work then just reboot and you won't have saved anything and can try another one. If one works better then post it up and people can get involved?

Definitely. I am using my guide though, so I don't use Kabyl's boot from Multibeast. I've got my FB set permanently at Vervet. I was just curious whether there was maybe a performance reason to use one of those two new ones. Ill give it a try this week maybe, if I have time. Always risky, since my hack is wonderfully stable and usable 100% for what I need.

If I try, I'll post results.

J

Guys I got the following two problems with sapphire 5770 and vervet (both aty and kabyl method) :

1.When watching video fullscreen and turning the second screen off the video starts playing back choppy.

2. i don't get smooth playback on my plasma set to 1080p. it looks kind of smooth and half way of the movie plays great but quick movements are choppy.
i used to have a 8800 gt and didnt have this issue! so it seems like vervet is far away from being the perfect solution!

At first I didnt notice these problems and thought everything is running great! i played starcraft 2 with all the settings to ultra and was cheering about how wonderful this works now!
but something weird is going on with vervet and smooth fullscreen video playback! anyone else experiencing this?
i'm gonna try out uakari now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back