Contribute
Register

EXPERIMENTAL ATI 5770 GraphicsEnabler=Yes: Guide!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte UD4-PA
CPU
i5 750
Graphics
5770, 5750
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
EDITED FOR USE WITH 10.6.5!

Alright, well after about 48 hours of searching the net, reading forum after forum and discovering that there isn't a concise guide out there for booting in 64bit mode without using netkas' ATY_init kext, (unless you tried the multibeast method with the 64bit GraphicsEnabler=No) I decided just to jump in with the "guide" I was asking for advice on. So for all of you relatively un-tech savvy hackintoshers out there, (myself included) here is an amendment to the first post in this thread with a detailed guide on how to get your machine booting with an ATI 5770 (thats the card I have but I imagine if you followed the same instructions, but used the pertinent *information for your card), in 64 bit goodness, under OSX 10.6.5. Tony or any of the moderators, I really hope you don't mind me making a guide and want to go ahead and thank Trauma!, Netkas, Rominator, Spanky Delux, Lnx2Mac, Macman and anyone else I missed who deserves recognition for their efforts in the x86 community, for their energy and enthusiasm in writing all the software and programs that make this all possible.

First of all what you need to begin:

A) A ROM. file for your graphics card. You can obtain this by installing a copy of Windows and using GPUZ or you can use FreeDOS, though I'm not familiar with that method.
aa) If you have Windows to the point where its usable for you, you need to download and run a program called GPU-Z, (google it) which is a program for obtaining information on your GFX (ATI) card. When you open the program, there will be a bunch of information, including a field which is titled: *Bios Version. It will have a long number sequence and then beside that box, there is a little image. If you left click on this icon, it will ask if you want to save the bios. You do, and you want to save it in the default file format, I'm pretty sure its .bin
Put this file onto a thumb drive or other removable media device so you can access it under OSX

C) Install for yourself a Fresh installation of 10.6.3 (I encourage you to use a Retail version.)

D) Following Tony's iBoot + Multibeast guide, install the Combo 10.6.5 Update. (In the guide it says that you should not reboot the computer after installing this update and go right to using Multibeast, but I neglected to, and as long as you boot from the iBoot DVD in your drive, you should be able to get back to your GUI without issue.)

E) BACK UP YOUR INSTALL!!!! This step can be left out if you REALLY feel comfortable with what you're doing, but it took me a couple of tries just to boot it in 32bit mode so to prevent you from having to re-install SN over again if you mess it up, don't forget this step. You can simply use DiskUtility and Restore your Hackintosh HDD image to a spare internal/external drive and be done with it. It should take about a half hour, but you won't have to reinstall and re update etc. (Note you won't be able to boot the back up image without the iBoot DVD until you have installed Chameleon again, because the EFI boot loader, Chameleon, is normally "found" on a small 200mb partition that OS X creates normally and this will NOT transfer to your backed up image.

F) Now you can continue with Tony's guide on making your new system more "vanilla" with Multibeast 2.5.1. I have a Gigabyte board and my corresponding DSDT is available in Tony's database (Thanks!). I have read that your boards BIOS version does not need to necessarily match the DSDT version you use, but to be safe its generally encouraged not to cut corners. If you need to flash/update your bios, Lnx2Mac has a great guide for doing that too. Google it and look in the archives. It's there!

G) Under Multibeast, you can pretty much select which ever addtions you'll need to get your machine running. I selected both the UserDSDT option and "System Utilities" and the moved on to the "Advanced" tab. From there I needed to enable my audio (P55a-UD4P uses ALC889), add IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector to make my drives appear as internal, and (from the features.pdf follow the link) Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Kext for my network (the official Realtek kext in Multibeast is 32bit only). I also installed the USB Rollback which corrects errors where USB detection does not function properly. (I did not install USB3.0 as I have no 3.0 capable devices). Also select your correct SMbios.plist file according to your CPU type (I've got Macpro5,1 for an i5 750) and you should select the 64bit com.apple.boot.plist with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I did not install Kabyl's chameleon distro, since at the time I installed 10.6.5, it wasn't available in Multibeast.

gg) For those of you have already installed the kexts and are wanting to go from a working 32bit/ATY_init.kext set up to the 64bit/GraphicsEnabler=Yes mode, you need to add this step:
i) navigate to the folder "yourrootdirectory"/System/Extensions and remove (drag to the trash) the ATY_init.kext as it is not needed for the 64bit mode. I would suggest not repairing permissions just yet because your system might have a freakout and you might not be able to boot back to your desktop. Because the other kexts are installed via multibeast (I think) you shouldn't need to follow step H), but I would recommend you take a look in root/System/Extensions to find the kexts you are told to install in step H) just to be sure they are correct and have your device ID listed.

H) Once there you need to download a the package of edited kexts that Netkas extracted from the 10.6.4 Mac Mini update or a program called Pacifist (please consider donating, people work hard to make these programs) and Apple's official 10.6.5 Graphics update. If you choose to use the Graphics update from Apple, you need to mount the .dmg file and then select the package and use Pacifist to extract the following kexts (drag and drop the file inside the .dmg: ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext, ATIRadeonX3000.kext, ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin, ATIX3000GLDriver.bundle, ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle, and ATISupport.kext. and you need to edit two of them, just like you did for the ATY_init method so put them into a folder on your desktop or other convenient spot. What you need to do next is, using Text Edit, add your device ID to the appropriate section of the ATI5000Controller.kext. In the case of my card, I needed to add 0x68b81002 to this list of where all the other device ID's appear. You can stick it beside any of the other ID's and its very straight forward to see where it needs to go. You need to do the same in the ATIRadeonX3000.kext. To do this, right click on the kext, select Show Package Contents and open the "info.plist" file.
Note that step H is now obsolete unless you're not going to 10.6.5. The correct device ID's and proper kexts will all be installed with the 10.6.5 combo update

I) After that take the bios file you put onto the removable media device back in Windows, transfer it to your desktop or other convenient destination of your choice, and rename it according to your device ID. In my case it was *1002_68b8.rom (Yes, you need to change the file type to .rom) Once you have done this, it needs to go into your /Extra folder. For the uninitiated, open a Finder window and select the first option under "Devices" This should be your root folder where your system was installed.

J) After moving this file into place, you will need to navigate to /Extra and copy the file called com.apple.boot.plist to a convenient spot like the desktop. It's always a good idea to create an original copy and a back up because in a moment you are also going to edit this file to take advantage of the .rom file you just put into /Extra. Use TextEdit and edit the following text:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>yes</string>
...etc.

Which you need to ammend to resemble this: (you may copy and paste this)
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64</string>
<key>UseAtiROM</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>yes</string>

* The lines containing the UseAtiROM and the bit about "yes" will tell Chameleon to look for the .rom file we just put into /Extra.

J) Next you need to grab a customized "boot" file from below. Choose the one that is known to work for your card. The 5700 series cards use Vervet. Another popular one is Uakari These particular files were compiled/written largely by two users on insanelymac forum; Kabyl and Trauma!. I know there are others involved, including all the testers but beyond that I'm not to sure. Basically, the "boot" file is part of Chameleon but because I'm not a code wizard, I am not entirely sure of its function. Obviously it has something to do with looking for the .rom file of your GFX card and loading it into the boot string at startup. PLEASE NOTE HOWEVER THAT THIS IS NOT MY WORK AND I DO NOT WISH TO TAKE CREDIT FOR CREATING OR REPRODUCING IT. If you find it useful, I encourage you to donate something to the creator. Once you have this file you need to use the program "ShowAllFiles" that was installed along with the other x86Tools found in Multibeast. When you have done this, again navigate to your root folder (where you found /Extra) and there you will see a faded icon. (most probably with an .exe icon) You need to drag that boot file to the trash (OSX won't let you replace "hidden files") and the replace it with the one I just finished talking about. It must simply be called boot, and it will have no extention (for example: it will not be "boot.exe or boot.bin" or whatever. Just "boot")

K) Now, the last thing you need to do is use Kext Helperb7 (another x86Tool from Multibeast) to install the kexts we edited earlier. The program will automatically install the files to the right destination ("yourrootdirectory"/System/Extensions). All you need to do is drag and drop, then enter your system password and click "Easy Install". Most likely following this you will get a screen which pops up shortly and tells you you need to "Reboot your system by holding the power button until the system shuts downs, etc. etc. etc." This happened to me, but this is just because OSX doesn't like to be messed with, and this has been known to happen with the ATY_init. method after installing the kexts as well.

Note that step J has been made obsolete by the 10.6.5 combo update. All the kexts are already in the right place and are updated/modified by default from Apple

L) Reboot and cross fingers!

If you followed the instructions above, you *should* get a black screen with the words BIOS found in white letters at the top for a brief second, the default grey apple loading screen, followed briefly by the two blue screens and then your desktop! If you feel unlucky, type -v at the Chameleon boot screen to boot the machine in verboos mode, so that if you do get a KP you can try to take a photo of it before it flashes off the screen. Once at your desktop go to System Profiler (About this Mac), and select "More info..." and then choose Graphics/Displays, your new 5770 (or other ATI card) should be identified correctly, with the proper VRAM etc. If you then click on "Software" it should give you some information about your machine. The important part is the line that reads thusly:

64-bit Kernel Extension: Yes (!!!!!) Thats how you know your machine is in 64bit goodness!

NOTES: I obtained most of this guide and the files I needed by trolling the forums, tonymac, insanelymac etc. for a few hours, finally coming across the one below initially for an ATI5970 card posted by Spanky Delux

URL: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=230874 (if you can't view it, I apologize and recommend you consider becoming a member of the forum)

Also, if you do not know your device ID for your card, you should be able to look in System Profiler after you've completed step D) and there it should say something like: Device ID: 68b8 or some other four digit number. Again you can check this under GPU-Z back in Windows if you aren't sure.

Finally in conclusion, this is a pretty fail-safe guide and should now work for most ATI cards. However, possible error is simply a function of variation and since I'm not familiar with all hardware, I can't know how other components might behave. Some Hackintosh builds with different variations of hardware may have issues. Gigabyte boards are well known and loved for their compatibility with the Darwin Kernel. I have now done this a few times, so I feel pretty confident in the steps outlined above and my goal creating this guide was to make a step by step clear and concise guide for booting in 64bit mode and taking advantage of all the goodness it brings! I fully expect to get messages and replies to this thread from people with questions and I will do my best to answer, but as I said at the beginning there is something to be said for spending time looking and figuring things out yourself as well!

TONY!!!! If you find any part of this guide not to be in accordance with the regulations of your wonderful forum I apologize and would like to ask that I be allowed to correct, if possible, any mistakes or give more credit where its due. Thanks!

Dona nobis Pacem,

J

Attachments

• Framebuffers(use with.rom).zip
    19.8 KB · Views: 421
Re: GraphicsEnabler=Yes: The Guide!!

up, bump, ttt, someone tell me they got this working with a 5850. I have a Sapphire 5850

Re: ATI 5770 GraphicsEnabler=Yes: Guide!!

Jdutch101 said:
Alright, well after about 48 hours of searching the net, reading forum after forum and discovering that there isn't a concise guide out there for booting in 64bit mode without using netkas' ATY_init kext, (unless you tried the multibeast method with the 64bit GraphicsEnabler=No) I decided just to jump in with the "guide" I was asking for advice on. So for all of you relatively un-tech savvy hackintoshers out there, (myself included) here is an amendment to the first post in this thread with a detailed guide on how to get your machine booting with an ATI 5770 (thats the card I have but I imagine if you followed the same instructions, but used the pertinent *information for your card), in 64 bit goodness. Tony or any of the moderators, I really hope you don't mind me making a guide and want to go ahead and thank Trauma!, Netkas, Rominator, Spanky Delux, Lnx2Mac, Macman and anyone else I missed who deserves recognition for their efforts in the x86 community, for their energy and enthusiasm in writing all the software and programs that make this all possible.
I renamed this topic to clarify the subject.

Also there is a DOS program called atiflash that you can use to extract the BIOS.

Is it possible to use this guide if i alredy have installed ati drivers, just to remove aty_init.kext and to put .rom file in extra folder, and replace new boot file?

@Jdutch101

Nice guide, only one thing I found that I don't think you posted: My instructions I got from InsanelyMac said that you have to download the latest Chameleon (rc5) in order for this to work. Did you have to update your version of Chameleon?

slavke1976 said:
Is it possible to use this guide if i alredy have installed ati drivers, just to remove aty_init.kext and to put .rom file in extra folder, and replace new boot file?

It is as far as I have read. The only reason this guide is so detailed is that I basically started without installing ATY_init the second time I tried to get my system working. I went straight for 64bit.

J

Hackintoshron said:
@Jdutch101

Nice guide, only one thing I found that I don't think you posted: My instructions I got from InsanelyMac said that you have to download the latest Chameleon (rc5) in order for this to work. Did you have to update your version of Chameleon?

Thanks,

No actually, I didn't. I suppose that may make a difference, but all I did was use the installation of Chameleon which was installed with Multibeast. I actually would like to xfer my Chameleon to the 200mb EFI partition however, its just that I've learned so much and spent so much time getting my install clean and organized that the prospect of learning MORE stuff isn't so appealing right now. If I get ambitious I know that Tony has a guide to doing just that somewhere on his blog, so I'll just go there.

J

AllanMarcus said:
(I encourage you to use a Retail version.)

just curious, why do you state this? I thought the retail version what only way one can build a hackintosh.

Mentioned because I believe it's important to make sure the people involved in creating the great products we enjoy, get something in return. And on our forum we don't discuss or support anything other than retail versions of the OS. Forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back