Contribute
Register

EVGA GTX950 (02G-P4-2951-KR) Dual 4K Monitor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the easiest/best solution right now. This allows you to have 2 4K monitors running independently of each individual 950 and with a few simple steps can be configured and running as you were with an iMac17,1 system definition and you should be set. Hope it goes well with the new variables.

Like I mentioned I'm getting a 2nd 4K monitor at the end of this month so I will be interested to see that my GTX970 can power both displays, although this 2nd display is for my Haswell build.

Thanks again, dear wildwillow!

Allthough, some strange issues occured with the 14,2 system definition now. For instance the machine will only boot, if a display is connected to each GPU. Today I took my machine to the studio and I had to remove one of the cards, since it will not boot (keep out sign) unless I connect a display to the second card as well. But I only have one screen in the studio (luckily I had another screen to test this, but it is used by a Mac mini to display audio graphs and therefore I could not leave it connected).

Also, from time to time the keep out sign appears even if two displays are connected. Maybe because one of the displays at that time was not fast enough to "answer" to the second card?

Any thoughts on how I could improve this?

Yeah, it will be interesting to see, if your 970 will be powerful enough to drive the two 4k displays in complex situation. For example, my 950 was working just fine with two 4k displays in Finder etc. but not in Bitwig Studio.

A friend told me that I maybe should just sell my 950 and get a 980 instead. I wonder, if would be equal to the two independent 950s. My tests yesterday were amazing. Bitwig runs super fast with two 4k displays (each with one dedicated card).

Also, from time to time the keep out sign appears even if two displays are connected. Maybe because one of the displays at that time was not fast enough to "answer" to the second card?

Any thoughts on how I could improve this?
I had this random no entry sign when I installed a ThunderboltEX3 card into my Skylake Build. What I've done is replace OsxAptioDrv2Fix located in /EFI/EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI with this one here, I can't find the link to give credit but you can download it here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2-g_coTRnPnaU53Z1F6Qm5OeXM/view?pref=2&pli=1
See how this works for you booting. Make a backup of OsxAptioDrv2Fix so if the random non booting continues you can revert.

You can pick up a 2nd hand GTX980 at a pretty decent price. I keep looking since I use an AMD R9 380 Nitro on my Haswell build but it stills runs OS X Yosemite(perfectly I might add) due to AMD boot niggles since OS X El Capitan.

I had this random no entry sign when I installed a ThunderboltEX3 card into my Skylake Build. What I've done is replace OsxAptioDrv2Fix located in /EFI/EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI with this one here, I can't find the link to give credit but you can download it here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2-g_coTRnPnaU53Z1F6Qm5OeXM/view?pref=2&pli=1
See how this works for you booting. Make a backup of OsxAptioDrv2Fix so if the random non booting continues you can revert.
Tried this, thanks! Unfortunately whit this file my machine want boot at all. After the Apple logo and the progress bar it simply goes to a black screen. The strange thing is, after putting back the backup file it still does not boot anymore. Will have to look into this with a fresh brain tomorrow.

Tried this, thanks! Unfortunately whit this file my machine want boot at all. After the Apple logo and the progress bar it simply goes to a black screen. The strange thing is, after putting back the backup file it still does not boot anymore. Will have to look into this with a fresh brain tomorrow.
Did you remove the OsxOptioFixDrv2000 when you put back OsxOptioFixDrv2?

Last edited:
Yes, I removed it and put the backup file back and then rebooted the machine. Strange, can't make it boot anymore now.
Boot verbose and take a picture of what is causing the stall. Attach the image here using the upload a file feature.

Boot verbose and take a picture of what is causing the stall. Attach the image here using the upload a file feature.
Thanks for trying to help me! Since everything passes by very fast in verbose mode I made a video and exported the last frame before the screen goes dark. I am sorry for the blurry picture. I recorded the boot process several times but wasn't able to get a clearer picture.

Attachments

• Frame-04-02-2017-07-19-45.jpg
    Frame-04-02-2017-07-19-45.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 134
Thanks for trying to help me! Since everything passes by very fast in verbose mode I made a video and exported the last frame before the screen goes dark. I am sorry for the blurry picture. I recorded the boot process several times but wasn't able to get a clearer picture.
As the screen goes black and the text doesn't stop, are you able to boot in safe mode to reach the desktop.Thanks for posting the picture but it doesn't help without a stall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back