Contribute
Register

EVGA GTX950 (02G-P4-2951-KR) Dual 4K Monitor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had both displays connected, each to one card and both were working at the time of the IOReg file export. The machine was booted in safe mode.
I think we need to fix booting with both your cards installed and not in safe mode. When you mentioned that you don't have any errors when booting verbose, what happens when you boot verbose, is it Clover that complains and not macOS?

When I boot verbose, everything goes very fast. I repeated the boot process many times, but could not spot any errors. At the end of the verbose output the display goes dark (no error icon, just plain black). Instead, if I boot without verbose output, I get the keep out icon immediately.

Since I read a few articles about dual GPUs now, I was wondering if my system definition (iMac17,1) could be the problem? Some said that dual GPUs only work with the MacPro5,1 system definition.

When I boot verbose, everything goes very fast. I repeated the boot process many times, but could not spot any errors. At the end of the verbose output the display goes dark (no error icon, just plain black). Instead, if I boot without verbose output, I get the keep out icon immediately.

Since I read a few articles about dual GPUs now, I was wondering if my system definition (iMac17,1) could be the problem? Some said that dual GPUs only work with the MacPro5,1 system definition.
Ok, this was the one of the reasons I wanted to see both monitors connected individually to each card with the iMac 17,1 system definition. I wanted to if your first card was GFX0 and your 2nd was GFX1 as this can be affected by Apples display policy. You could test using a MacPro system definition but you need to take the necessary precautions to eliminate kernel panic at boot. Or test using iMac 14,2 that bypasses AGDP.

Actually, if I don't have to change it I would like to keep iMac17,1 as the machine was running wonderful before with this setting. Would you suggest to boot with nv_disable=1 in order to make another export of IOReg outside of safe boot mode?

Actually, if I don't have to change it I would like to keep iMac17,1 as the machine was running wonderful before with this setting. Would you suggest to boot with nv_disable=1 in order to make another export of IOReg outside of safe boot mode?
Unfortunately nv_disable=1 is booting in safe mode for Nvidia graphics cards, booting in safe mode is all drivers such as audio, graphics etc. For now I would suggest backing up your config.plist since you're happy with iMac 17,1 and change it for testing to iMac14,2. Since we are unable to get a workaround with graphics enabled at this point this could eliminate any issues with iMac17,1 and its easy to revert to your current config.plist.

Well, it worked right away with the 14,2 system definition. Booted up like normal, both displays on a dedicated card. This is awesome! :) On the other hand, I really would like to keep 17,1 as I got everything working incl. Messages.

I created another IOReg export for you.

Do you think there is any chance to make it work with 17,1 as well?

Attachments

• amadeus-2.ioreg
    3.9 MB · Views: 142
@wildwillow Do you know, if it would be possible to change the System Definition to 14,2 but at the same time keep the Serial, Board Serial, SmUUID, Board-ID, ROM and MLB values of the current 17,1 based setup?

Background:
All my plugins and such are registered to the 17,1 serial number. So it would be a huge pain for me to change this.

@wildwillow Do you know, if it would be possible to change the System Definition to 14,2 but at the same time keep the Serial, Board Serial, SmUUID, Board-ID, ROM and MLB values of the current 17,1 based setup?
If you've registered this system/variables and its sounds like you have with Apple Servers then I wouldn't advise to use them with a different Serial (it may be ok but no guarantees). This would surely flag your AppleID and could cause an issue with it.

Background:
All my plugins and such are registered to the 17,1 serial number. So it would be a huge pain for me to change this.
Understood, Unfortunately the only difference using these system definitions is AppleGraphicsDisplayPolicy. I'm pretty sure that a second card would register as GFX1 which is noted in the kext info.plist. At this time the only possible idea I could see is to rename your second graphics card entry currently named PEGP. See this thread for example https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/s. You can use Clover's DSDT patching for renaming and testing.

It might be easier to make new variables for an iMac 14,2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back