Contribute
Register

Ersterhernd's G5 PowerMac Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ersterhernd,

I just got my hands on a Powermac G5 (complete unit, still works). I'd love to do a case mod for it. What tools/parts did you use? I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff. I'd love some help. I'd have to get a GTX 970 fit in the case. How much did this cost? My PSU is semi-modular (ATX), do you know if I could get my hands on something like you did?

Thanks

Hi fatberns,

With the PowerMac G5, the world is your oyster for modding. The possibilities are virtually endless, as you've probably seen on this forum. My tools are rudimentary. A dremel 3000, drill, hacksaw & single blades, files etc. All basic stuff.

For parts, I'd recommend a water cooled micro ATX setup. See my second PowerMac G5 project. I'd use a single 140mm intake fan up front and LaserHive's single 120mm mATX kit on the rear. This would give you literally a whisper quiet G5, you'd barely hear it running except when the video card fans ramped up.

Many on this forum have disassembled their ATX PSU's to fit in the bottom of the case, I didn't but certainly could have. I chose to leave the ATX PSU intact and drop it out the bottom. Whatever configuration you decide upon, make sure to plan very carefully. Measure twice, cut once.

I use my second G5 as my primary machine to this day.

Cheers!

Hello there,

I am also prepping for my first build. Looking forward to knowledge share as we go along. I have cleared the chassi and cleaned it. Now I am looking into components and tools.

Looking forward to follow your work.

Best regards
Mark.

IMAGE_69FDE64F-EC12-4B4F-8ECD-E09B5C66A552.JPG

Can you give me dimensions of the motherboard tray and of the backplate. I am looking foward you answer. I'm asking cuz I live in Bulgaria and the Lazer Hive does not ship their products here.

would be great to have rear plate dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back