Intel 4000 HD
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15z (5523), and I'm trying to make a dual-boot system with clover.

After creating the Usb Installer using Unibeast (USB, UEFI, El Capitan), I have modified my BIOS settings as following:
a) Set SATA Operation mode : AHCI
b) USB Debug : On (As instructed here)

I booted to my USB and Clover loaded perfectly. I selected Boot to OSX from USB, and an Apple logo appeared with a progress bar which filled ~ 70% and then the apple logo was replaced by a "STOP" sign and the progress bar completely removed.

Then I added -v to boot arguments so I could see what was going on behind the scenes. And this came up.

I let it run for 10 but minutes but that AppleUSBHostPort::resetGated kept on showing. Maybe it is just a bad USB pen drive? I currently do not have any other >8gb pen drive so I am stuck with this.

Any ideas on how I could fix this? Maybe convert my
RealSSD mSATA 32GB drive to a bootable drive and install from there ?

Any help/suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks.

p.s: I have read the laptop compatibility and the clover-uefi guide, so please don't redirect me to those.

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15z (5523), and I'm trying to make a dual-boot system with clover.

After creating the Usb Installer using Unibeast (USB, UEFI, El Capitan), I have modified my BIOS settings as following:
a) Set SATA Operation mode : AHCI
b) USB Debug : On (As instructed here)

I booted to my USB and Clover loaded perfectly. I selected Boot to OSX from USB, and an Apple logo appeared with a progress bar which filled ~ 70% and then the apple logo was replaced by a "STOP" sign and the progress bar completely removed.

Then I added -v to boot arguments so I could see what was going on behind the scenes. And this came up.

I let it run for 10 but minutes but that AppleUSBHostPort::resetGated kept on showing. Maybe it is just a bad USB pen drive? I currently do not have any other >8gb pen drive so I am stuck with this.

Any ideas on how I could fix this? Maybe convert my
RealSSD mSATA 32GB drive to a bootable drive and install from there ?

Any help/suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks.

p.s: I have read the laptop compatibility and the clover-uefi guide, so please don't redirect me to those.

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Thanks RehabMan.

I followed the instructions there and successfully created the USB installer. Now I got a different error which I'm happy about because it is different! Here, take a look:

Sight_2016_01_03_164116_851.jpg

I can see this is related to CPU Power managment but I don't exactly know how to fix it. In the Clover guide it is said it appens on Sandy Bridge processors thus a change in a kext shall be made. Is that what I need to do even though I have an Ivy Bridge processor ?

Thanks RehabMan.

I followed the instructions there and successfully created the USB installer. Now I got a different error which I'm happy about because it is different! Here, take a look:

View attachment 170313

I can see this is related to CPU Power managment but I don't exactly know how to fix it. In the Clover guide it is said it appens on Sandy Bridge processors thus a change in a kext shall be made. Is that what I need to do even though I have an Ivy Bridge processor ?

Your config.plist is likely wrong.

I am using the config_HD4000_1366x768.plist (renamed to config.plist ofc) with no changes made. I looked upon this problem on forums and found NullCPUPowerManagment kext might just come in handy. Would I just drag this kext to the kexts/Other folder or do I still need to modify something in config.plist ?

Laptop :
Dell Inspiron 5523,
6 GB RAM DDR3,
Intel Core i5 3317u;

I am using the config_HD4000_1366x768.plist (renamed to config.plist ofc) with no changes made. I looked upon this problem on forums and found NullCPUPowerManagment kext might just come in handy. Would I just drag this kext to the kexts/Other folder or do I still need to modify something in config.plist ?

Laptop :
Dell Inspiron 5523,
6 GB RAM DDR3,
Intel Core i5 3317u;

Post EFI/Clover folder (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory, especially if you have an overabundance of themes installed.

NullCPU is never needed with Clover.

Great. It worked!

I removed everything from themes folder except for the bluemac one. And also replaced the config.plist again (I had copied the wrong one the first time). And then I tried but didn't work. I then enabled USB 3.0 again, and BAM! It booted the installer!

Now I'm stuck trying to install Windows, for it gives some complaint about Windows being able to be installed only on "GPT" partitions on EFI systems. Anyway I am pretty sure I have strictly followed instructions from youtube videos and forum posts, but still, it seems impossible.

Thanks a ton RehabMan, I was very nearly giving up on this project, glad it finally worked.

Great. It worked!

I removed everything from themes folder except for the bluemac one. And also replaced the config.plist again (I had copied the wrong one the first time). And then I tried but didn't work. I then enabled USB 3.0 again, and BAM! It booted the installer!

Now I'm stuck trying to install Windows, for it gives some complaint about Windows being able to be installed only on "GPT" partitions on EFI systems. Anyway I am pretty sure I have strictly followed instructions from youtube videos and forum posts, but still, it seems impossible.

Thanks a ton RehabMan, I was very nearly giving up on this project, glad it finally worked.

Dual boot Windows UEFI is covered in post #2 of the guide...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

Yes that was great, except that I fixed it myself.

There is no option to leave "free space" in Disk Utility in El Capitan. So whoever needs to accomplish such thing, needs to first create a partition with "Mac OS X Journaled" file system and then resize that specific partition in terminal by running the following commands (only the red colored text are commands):

#see which volume is the "victim". (In our case disk1s2)
diskutil list
#resize the upmentioned volume to a much smaller size, 3gb in this case, so whatever is left will show up as "Free Size"
diskutil resizeVolume disk1s2 3g

Then one may use Disk Utility and select the disk which contains these volumes and click "Partition", then select the 3GB partition, and click the - (minus) to remove it. This leaves you with 2 partitions: the OS X partition and the other one with FREE SPACE (as required for Windows setup).

Please update that post with this information.

Oh and I'm having a really hard time with DSDT and such stuff, should I open a new thread or continue on this one?

Yes that was great, except that I fixed it myself.

There is no option to leave "free space" in Disk Utility in El Capitan. So whoever needs to accomplish such thing, needs to first create a partition with "Mac OS X Journaled" file system and then resize that specific partition in terminal by running the following commands (only the red colored text are commands):

#see which volume is the "victim". (In our case disk1s2)
diskutil list
#resize the upmentioned volume to a much smaller size, 3gb in this case, so whatever is left will show up as "Free Size"
diskutil resizeVolume disk1s2 3g

Then one may use Disk Utility and select the disk which contains these volumes and click "Partition", then select the 3GB partition, and click the - (minus) to remove it. This leaves you with 2 partitions: the OS X partition and the other one with FREE SPACE (as required for Windows setup).

Please update that post with this information.

Oh and I'm having a really hard time with DSDT and such stuff, should I open a new thread or continue on this one?

Easier to just create an HFS+J "placeholder", and then format as NTFS in the Windows Installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back