Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you fix it?

Asking because I`m suffering of the same issue here, even after editing the Kext file.

Forget about it.

I have managed myself.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean "use spaces"?
Sorry Mission Control, after you are on your desktop you can go into Mission control, make sure there are two spaces in Mission Control, hit the plus icon if not, from there in your dock you can right click and choose which app get's used in which monitor and space

Hey there, I'm thinking on buying the Gigabyte RX460 4GB for my first Hackintosh build, mainly for FCPX reasons (otherwise I would opt for a GTX1050). But a couple of questions arise:

Would this card be working with full acceleration and metal support?
Is it possible to force FCPX to use the RX460 and not the iGPU or will there be crashing issues?

Last edited:
Hey there, I'm thinking on buying the Gigabyte RX460 4GB for my first Mackintosh build, mainly for FCPX reasons (otherwise I would opt for a GTX1050).
Using incompatible hardware for first hackintosh build is always bad idea. But it is good for experience gain :)

Yes. But not OOB.

Is it possible to force FCPX to use the RX460 and not the iGPU or will there be crashing issues?
Maybe. There are many techniques, but not the one.

Last edited:

You have a couple of choices; in your Clover config.plist, set Inject-ATI to be false and go about your usual computing. This will use the generic AMD Frame buffer and give you full metal support and acceleration. Pretty close to OOB plug and play. Or set Inject-ATI to be true and set a frame buffer name into place along with a patch to allow Clover to use the buffer. (go to this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rs-for-new-amd-radeon-drivers.197273/page-251 and search backwards for the patch(es) by Mork. The one for Sierra uses the Berbice frame buffer, you will also get metal support, full acceleration and some cosmetic niceties. -- there is also one for 10.11 much further back in that same thread, if you are still using that.)

Also, possible but you will have to do some checking because it seems to depend on the version of FCPX you are using, as well as the version of Clover, the version of macOS beta, etc., etc.

If you are also considering the RX470 or RX 480, or the newly released RX5nn versions, those cards require some kext editing and Clover patching, but most folks that use them seem to really like them for FCPX editing.

You have a couple of choices; in your Clover config.plist, set Inject-ATI to be false and go about your usual computing. This will use the generic AMD Frame buffer and give you full metal support and acceleration. Pretty close to OOB plug and play. Or set Inject-ATI to be true and set a frame buffer name into place along with a patch to allow Clover to use the buffer. (go to this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rs-for-new-amd-radeon-drivers.197273/page-251 and search backwards for the patch(es) by Mork. The one for Sierra uses the Berbice frame buffer, you will also get metal support, full acceleration and some cosmetic niceties. -- there is also one for 10.11 much further back in that same thread, if you are still using that.)

Also, possible but you will have to do some checking because it seems to depend on the version of FCPX you are using, as well as the version of Clover, the version of macOS beta, etc., etc.

If you are also considering the RX470 or RX 480, or the newly released RX5nn versions, those cards require some kext editing and Clover patching, but most folks that use them seem to really like them for FCPX editing.
Jerry, I am in 10.12 release version on my Hackintosh. I have an x79 chipset MoBo with i7 3820, this means that I have no integrated GPU. I do however happen to have an old Nvidia card that I've heard I can use to enable full acceleration. My problem is that in my bios there is no option to set the default display PciE. I have my RX 480 reference card in slot 1 and gtx 660 in slot 2. If you or anyone can help me go about this process, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Jerry, I am in 10.12 release version on my Hackintosh. I have an x79 chipset MoBo with i7 3820, this means that I have no integrated GPU. I do however happen to have an old Nvidia card that I've heard I can use to enable full acceleration. My problem is that in my bios there is no option to set the default display PciE. I have my RX 480 reference card in slot 1 and gtx 660 in slot 2. If you or anyone can help me go about this process, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

If you can't set the Nvidia card as the first to boot i think your stuffed, as this was the onbly way i could get it running on my machine (X99 Broadwell-E). I've read of some people hacking the ROM on their RX480, so that a secondary card is not needed, but i haven't tried myself personally.

Check out this post, that's how i got my RX480 going in my machine, that along with post 2 of the same thread:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/enable-all-cores-r9-fury-cards.209892/page-8#post-1434631

If you can't set the Nvidia card as the first to boot i think your stuffed, as this was the onbly way i could get it running on my machine (X99 Broadwell-E). I've read of some people hacking the ROM on their RX480, so that a secondary card is not needed, but i haven't tried myself personally.

Check out this post, that's how i got my RX480 going in my machine, that along with post 2 of the same thread:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/enable-all-cores-r9-fury-cards.209892/page-8#post-1434631
hacking the rom is in the least of my interest. But I really do need final cut pro, so It might be my final option, I'll check out your thread thanks for the reply :)

Hey guys! Just bought my XRX RX 480 GTX (Black Edition) and i'm going to replace my 780ti soon. Quick question: has anyone successfully used a RX 480 with an HP z800? Got some old cards (9400Gs / Fx 1800 / Fx 3800) Laying around to be the first boot option, but just wondering: Will the DisplayPort on the RX work? Thx!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back