Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gigamaxx : I deleted my entire hard drive and re-installed Sierra. I used Multi-beast with iMac 17.1. I did not inject Intel with multi-beast. I tried all of the recommended steps but they don't work. I get black screen when trying to load just off of the RX 480 with no other display cable connected. When I use integrated graphics, I get the same messages for display and PCI as listed at the bottom for each of the steps.

Tried injecting fake ID 0x67EF1002 with the intel settings for skylake you mentioned with all of the other settings in graphic settings left blank. I only got metal support for Intel graphics.
I tried modifying to add 0x67DF1002 in 9150 kext first. Then in 4100 kext. Same message as below.

===================
My PCI slot: "This computer doesn't contain any PCI cards or devices. If you installed or connected, a PCI card or device, make sure they're properly installed."

Display:
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67DF
Revision ID: 0x00c7
Kernel Extension Info: No kext loaded

It's good you have the SKL CRB working this is the first step and it eliminates Intel injection which may cause problems with RX in certain apps. It sounds like a motherboard issue or possibly a power supply issue if the 6-8 pin connector is not working and supplying power to the card. Do you have other pc slots to try putting the graphics card in? There may be some bios settings to look at as well. Try an old card or other pci device to check the slot(s).

Gigamaxx, off topic but any thoughts for me for an issue I'm having: if I do a power cycle on my computer and then use sleep it works. however, after that it will sleep and then a few seconds later wake up. I have had this issue in the past but I can't figure it out. using 17,1 for power support for skylake, maybe I should try an older one.

Tried 14,2, now it never sleeps, wakes up right away.

just power cycled it and now its working... but later it will probably stop again. idk

Last edited:
Gigamaxx, off topic but any thoughts for me for an issue I'm having: if I do a power cycle on my computer and then use sleep it works. however, after that it will sleep and then a few seconds later wake up. I have had this issue in the past but I can't figure it out. using 17,1 for power support for skylake, maybe I should try an older one.

Tried 14,2, now it never sleeps, wakes up right away.

just power cycled it and now its working... but later it will probably stop again. idk

I've noticed that 12.4, 12.5 have sleep/wake/power issues. On my Haswell setups sleep/wake/power restarts are all messed up. They used to work flawlessly in 12.3 and below. I haven't had much use of the Skylake system lately, I'll check that one out as well. In the early Sierra versions sleep didn't work with the Skylake then it did, sleep worked with Haswell now it doesn't. I haven't changed any clover config.settings but I have changed clover versions as you need to to keep up with the changes in Sierra.

In other words, we probably have to wait and find and follow solutions and work arounds or it may just be a need to wait for updated clover 64uefi drivers and other kexts along with the clover bootloaders. Maybe an older clover version will work if you recently updated to one of the later versions. But if you're injecting kexts it's recommended to use 3999 and above. If you have a simple config.plist with no injections an older clover version may smooth out the issue. I think that either Apple changed something up in 12.4 or clover changed something and it's causing headaches for sleep.

It's good you have the SKL CRB working this is the first step and it eliminates Intel injection which may cause problems with RX in certain apps. It sounds like a motherboard issue or possibly a power supply issue if the 6-8 pin connector is not working and supplying power to the card. Do you have other pc slots to try putting the graphics card in? There may be some bios settings to look at as well. Try an old card or other pci device to check the slot(s).

My motherboard only have one PCI slot for graphics card. The RX 480 card has a 6-pin power supply. I have a separate hard drive for Windows, which boots up and utilize the AMD RX 480 just fine. Unfortunately I don't have any other PCI cards.

EDIT:: Re-installing Sierra 10.12.4 again from scratch with the Rx480 in the PCI slot resolved the PCI issue.

EDIT2: Although I used the latest Multibeast, it still had Clover boot version 3766. I updated to clover boot version 4049 and was able to fake inject 0x67EF1002 with EDID true and inject ATI true. Graphics card display the RX 480 card with device ID of 0x67EF but PCI has the same issue again (states this computer doesn't contain any PCI cards). -____-

Last edited:
My motherboard only have one PCI slot for graphics card. The RX 480 card has a 6-pin power supply. I have a separate hard drive for Windows, which boots up and utilize the AMD RX 480 just fine. Unfortunately I don't have any other PCI cards.

EDIT:: Re-installing Sierra 10.12.4 again from scratch with the Rx480 in the PCI slot resolved the PCI issue.

EDIT2: Although I used the latest Multibeast, it still had Clover boot version 3766. I updated to clover boot version 4049 and was able to fake inject 0x67EF1002 with EDID true and inject ATI true. Graphics card display the RX 480 card with device ID of 0x67EF but PCI has the same issue again (states this computer doesn't contain any PCI cards). -____-

That is normal. As long as your System Report -- Graphics/Displays shows the card, it is being recognized. Lately, you will not see listings under PCI unless it is for a card such as extra USB ports or something similar.

----
edit: I phrased that poorly. It is normal for this to not be listed, but you will occasionally see it listed, especially if you are using the beta OS software. But, it being there or not is nothing to worry about as long as you find the card under the Graphics section.

Last edited:

Injecting ATI has been causing issues with black screen I believe due to the framebufffer assignments, you may also need to check which framebuffer is assigned. Bernice, Dayman, and Baladi may have different consequences when using injection.

I avoid these by not injecting ATI and manually editing plists. I get my naming by editing the 9510kext and CU fix in 4100x I never lose support or have port issues and performance never lags.

I don't think you're supposed to inject ATI and inject EDID at the same time, it's one or the other normally. Injecting ATI uses what is already in clover for ATI configurations. Injecting EDID requires placing fixes manually in clover in order to work. At least that's what I've understood it to be.

I've noticed that 12.4, 12.5 have sleep/wake/power issues. On my Haswell setups sleep/wake/power restarts are all messed up. They used to work flawlessly in 12.3 and below. I haven't had much use of the Skylake system lately, I'll check that one out as well. In the early Sierra versions sleep didn't work with the Skylake then it did, sleep worked with Haswell now it doesn't. I haven't changed any clover config.settings but I have changed clover versions as you need to to keep up with the changes in Sierra.

In other words, we probably have to wait and find and follow solutions and work arounds or it may just be a need to wait for updated clover 64uefi drivers and other kexts along with the clover bootloaders. Maybe an older clover version will work if you recently updated to one of the later versions. But if you're injecting kexts it's recommended to use 3999 and above. If you have a simple config.plist with no injections an older clover version may smooth out the issue. I think that either Apple changed something up in 12.4 or clover changed something and it's causing headaches for sleep.

I think I figured it out, I believe it was a USB 3 hub I had plugged in. turns out I only really use it for power for a few devices and charging and since its self powered I don't need to leave it plugged in. hopefully it keeps working!

That is normal. As long as your System Report -- Graphics/Displays shows the card, it is being recognized. Lately, you will not see listings under PCI unless it is for a card such as extra USB ports or something similar.

----
edit: I phrased that poorly. It is normal for this to not be listed, but you will occasionally see it listed, especially if you are using the beta OS software. But, it being there or not is nothing to worry about as long as you find the card under the Graphics section.

That's good to know. Thank you! While I can fake ID to 0x67EF1002, I still get black screen. Do you know what it means when the bootleg states: "card not posted because GEN_CNTL = -1" ?

5:630 0:000 Framebuffer @0xD0000000 MMIO @0xE0000000 I/O Port @0x0000E000 ROM Addr @0xEF540000
5:630 0:000 PCI region 1 = 0x00000000, region3 = 0x00000000, region5 = 0xEF500000
5:630 0:000 Use region5 as MMIO space
5:630 0:000 BIOS_0_SCRATCH=0xFFFFFFFF, 1=0xFFFFFFFF, 2=0xFFFFFFFF, 3=0xFFFFFFFF, 4=0xFFFFFFFF, 5=0xFFFFFFFF, 6=0xFFFFFFFF
5:630 0:000 RADEON_CRTC2_GEN_CNTL == 0xFFFFFFFF
5:630 0:000 card not posted because GEN_CNTL = -1
5:630 0:000 ATI card non-POSTed,

5:630 0:000 Set VRAM for Ellesmere =4294967295Mb
5:630 0:000 ATI: get_vram_size returned 0xFFF00000
5:630 0:000 ATI Radeon EVERGREEN+ family
5:630 0:000 Framebuffer set to device's default: Baladi
5:630 0:000 N ports defaults to 6
5:630 0:000 (AtiPorts) Nr of ports set to: 6
5:630 0:000 ATI Ellesmere AMD Radeon RX480 -1MB (Baladi) [1002:67DF] (subsys [1002:0B37]):: PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1,0x0)\Pci(0x0,0x0)
5:630 0:000 Intel GFX injection not set
5:630 0:000 RCBA disabled; cannot use it
5:630 0:000 setting specified layout-id=1 (0x1)
5:630 0:000 stringlength = 4198
5:630 0:000 CurrentMode: Width=3840 Height=2160
5:630 0:000 Beginning FSInjection

CU fix in 4100x

I think you're right. I can get fake ID 0xEF1002 with EDID = false with just ATI = true. However, I can't get the Rx 480 to be recognized without injecting ATI. However, even when recognized, I use kext to patch to my card's port configuration, I can't get it to work. "About this Mac" will still show the intel skylake IGPU as the graphics display. I tried just modifying the 9510 and 4100 kext to include 0x67DF1002 but it doesn't work.

I think you're right. I can get fake ID 0xEF1002 with EDID = false with just ATI = true. However, I can't get the Rx 480 to be recognized without injecting ATI. However, even when recognized, I use kext to patch to my card's port configuration, I can't get it to work. "About this Mac" will still show the intel skylake IGPU as the graphics display. I tried just modifying the 9510 and 4100 kext to include 0x67DF1002 but it doesn't work.

After you modify the kexts you need to run Kextwizzard before rebooting or it ruins the kext edit and may make the kext unusable if it gets flagged.

If you modify the kexts don't use inject ATI, it will show R9 xxx in about this Mac but that is normal for the newer AMD cards. With the kext fixes you don't need any clover manipulations or injections, it gets picked up natively. The R9 xxx can be easily fixed using iHex edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back