Contribute
Register

Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my Asus RX480 working with Lilu and Whatevergreen with 10.12.6. Problem is, that Displayport is not working and HDMI is giving out at native 3440x1440 only 50hz which makes screen look kind of bad.

I'll investigate this matter when I've got time. Also Sleep seems to work out of the box 100%, including audio.

Other parts I've got are Asrock Extreme4 Z77, i7 2700k @ 4,6ghz, mixed 16gbs of 1600mhz ram and for audio Asus U7 usb.

Does this still work if at Clover Boot Menu > Graphics injector> Model is showing "HD Graphic 7000"

Yes, that's an error from the Clover developers it should be HD530/HD630.

Just got my Asus RX480 working with Lilu and Whatevergreen with 10.12.6. Problem is, that Displayport is not working and HDMI is giving out at native 3440x1440 only 50hz which makes screen look kind of bad.

I'll investigate this matter when I've got time. Also Sleep seems to work out of the box 100%, including audio.

Other parts I've got are Asrock Extreme4 Z77, i7 2700k @ 4,6ghz, mixed 16gbs of 1600mhz ram and for audio Asus U7 usb.
Thanks for your inform.
I have a RX 460, try to connect with DP on 10.12.6 but it's not working. it's always get black screen and automatic restart while booting. So i came back with iGPU on my mobo. I will take a shot some others day with HDMI on my graphic card. Thanks again.

got problems in running XFX RX580 Pulse under 10.12.6 ... don't know why... it should be native... but screen goes black after apple logo is appearing for a while with the loading bar...

I use HD530 as primary IGFX with CSM disabled and IGFX loaded ALWAYS... under a gigabyte z170 .... any hint?

got problems in running XFX RX580 Pulse under 10.12.6 ... don't know why... it should be native... but screen goes black after apple logo is appearing for a while with the loading bar...

I use HD530 as primary IGFX with CSM disabled and IGFX loaded ALWAYS... under a gigabyte z170 .... any hint?

Are you specifying a frame buffer with Clover? Baladi has worked fine for me in 12.6 with XFX 480.

Sierra 12.6 doesn't need any kext patching or find replace methods, if you have those for 12.5 try removing them and let the RX 580 boot natively with R9 xxx def.

Does this still work if at Clover Boot Menu > Graphics injector> Model is showing "HD Graphic 7000"

Yes this is it you can change it, also trying different version of clover I think 4114 has normal 530 and 630 naming.

Are you specifying a frame buffer with Clover? Baladi has worked fine for me in 12.6 with XFX 480.

Sierra 12.6 doesn't need any kext patching or find replace methods, if you have those for 12.5 try removing them and let the RX 580 boot natively with R9 xxx def.

I know everything already. The problem - I guess - is that of different nature:

• new BIOS of some new motherboards (I guess they are both the video bios and mobo bios together) loads PEG1 instead of iGFX at boot even if you specify IGFX as Primary in bios options. That's because they are now able to recognise the attached video cable and doing so, the BIOS post and the initial Clover boot page is visible even if the IGFX is set to Primary/Enabled in BIOS. That leads consequently to black screen during OSX boot.
  • The use of LILU plus EVERGREEN kexts in Clover fix the situation but it has a drawback: you cannot flag anymore "Inject ATI" in Clover config and so you cannot specify anything: nor the frame buffer neither the ATI connectors. So all my develop work posted here is not applicable anymore. :(
  • What I still don't know at the moment is if this is specifically related to XFX RX580 Pulse or not ... for sure I can say old cards RX480 series don't work this way...

Hi,

A few months ago I made a new hackintosh with the i7 6700k, Asus Z-170 Pro and the XFX Radeon RX480. I used the guide posted here for the graphics card and everything went smoothly. At LuxMark I received over 16000 points.

Recently, I reinstalled MacOS Sierra and I configured the graphics card just like recently, according to the guide from the first page of this thread. The card is correctly recognized and I have acceleration, metal support, 30-bit color, 36 compute units but in LuxMark I received only 5400 points! In the LuxMark window I found that the program shows for AMD clock 300 MHz instead of 1300! Under Windows everything is OK.

I tried different settings in Clover, I checked again entries in AMD9510Controll.kext and AMDRadeonX4100.kext, I used Kext Utility to correct permissions. I do not know what else I can do. Does anyone know what the problem is? I will be grateful for any help.

Hi,

A few months ago I made a new hackintosh with the i7 6700k, Asus Z-170 Pro and the XFX Radeon RX480. I used the guide posted here for the graphics card and everything went smoothly. At LuxMark I received over 16000 points.

Recently, I reinstalled MacOS Sierra and I configured the graphics card just like recently, according to the guide from the first page of this thread. The card is correctly recognized and I have acceleration, metal support, 30-bit color, 36 compute units but in LuxMark I received only 5400 points! In the LuxMark window I found that the program shows for AMD clock 300 MHz instead of 1300! Under Windows everything is OK.

I tried different settings in Clover, I checked again entries in AMD9510Controll.kext and AMDRadeonX4100.kext, I used Kext Utility to correct permissions. I do not know what else I can do. Does anyone know what the problem is? I will be grateful for any help.

In Sierra 12.6 (latest version) you don't need to apply any fixes to kexts. The only issue is the name R9 xxx if you made the kext edits to Sierra 12.6 that may be the problem. if you have copies of original kexts form 12.6 before edits try those. In Sierra 12.6 Skylake graphics fixes have changed. Do you know about the lilukext and WhateverGreenkext fixes for AMD cards? We can now run them without IGPU as primary display. Once installed and working correctly you can disable IGPU in Bios menu.

Place them in Clover EFi folder in kext folder in 10.12 and or Other. I also placed them in System/Library/Extensions folder where the 9510 and 4100 kexts are. Use kext wizard before reboot. These work in Sierra 12.5, 12.6 and in high Sierra beta. High Sierra beta will activate HDMI and Displayport Audio for Polaris cards. You will know if they are working if you see AMD Radeon Pro 480/575 in About this Mac, then go to Bios and disable IGPU and test.

Attachments

• Kexts for RX in Sierra 12,6.zip
    365.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
In Sierra 12.6 (latest version) you don't need to apply any fixes to kexts. The only issue is the name R9 xxx if you made the kext edits to Sierra 12.6 that may be the problem. if you have copies of original kexts form 12.6 before edits try those. In Sierra 12.6 Skylake graphics fixes have changed. Do you know about the lilukext and WhateverGreenkext fixes for AMD cards? We can now run them without IGPU as primary display. Once installed and working correctly you can disable IGPU in Bios menu.

Place them in Clover EFi folder in kext folder in 10.12 and or Other. I also placed them in System/Library/Extensions folder where the 9510 and 4100 kexts are. Use kext wizard before reboot. These work in Sierra 12.5, 12.6 and in high Sierra beta. High Sierra beta will activate HDMI and Displayport Audio for Polaris cards. You will know if they are working if you see AMD Radeon Pro 480/575 in About this Mac, then go to Bios and disable IGPU and test.

Yes, I heard about lilukext and WhateverGreenkext fixes and my card works without iGPU.

Fortunately, I had the original kext, so I replaced it, fixed the permissions, reboot and ... everything works :)
Many thanks @Gigamaxx, as always can count on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back