Motherboard
AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I recently upgraded to a new SSD and did a fresh install of El Capitan. Most things have worked pretty well from the get-go, but I have had persistent issues with my USB ports, and specifically with USB 3.0.

Initially, I was able to use at least some of my USB ports with a WD External drive I have, but I don't think I was ever getting 3.0 speeds out of it. The drive also mysteriously stopped working with one of the USB ports on the front of my case, but I kept using the one next to it for a while.

Today, I was editing some video that had the footage reading and writing the WD drive. It was just running a bit slow at first, but after a while would not let me do anything with the drive on that port. Disk utility showed the drive, but said there were no partitions on it. After restarting several times and trying a couple other things, even this went away and I started getting the "USB device needs power" notification when I tried to plug it in. Other ports do not even give me this much, but it should be noted that they still work with my keyboard and mouse.

I have looked through the forums for the past couple hours and have tried various things, including changing EHC1 to EHC01 (and EHC2 to EHC02) in the DSDT patches section, checking my BIOS settings, installing FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, installing GenericUSBXHCI.kext, ticking the Fix USB box in clover configurator, and a few other things, but to no avail.

I’ve read through this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/ several times now but it has not done me much good, partly because the fixes he’s mentioned have not worked and partly because it’s somewhat beyond me. I’m thoroughly frustrated at this point and wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Specs are as follows:
El Capitan 10.11.4
Intel 4770 i7 3.49 ghz
Gigabyte Z87X-UD5-TH
32gb RAM
Geforce GTX 660

Quick update:

Removing USBInjectAll.kext from /System/Library/Extensions ended up restoring some functionality, as my drive at least appears in disk utility now on all of my ports. However, the partition is still not displaying on the WD drive. Hoping this isn't an issue with the HDD itself...

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying the HDD on a friend's macbook shortly.

Quick question though...this is what I see in system profiler. I have a feeling this isn't correct since I have 2 USB 2.0 and 8 USB 3.0 ports, but I don't know if I'm just misinterpreting this.

systeminfo.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying the HDD on a friend's macbook shortly.

Quick question though...this is what I see in system profiler. I have a feeling this isn't correct since I have 2 USB 2.0 and 8 USB 3.0 ports, but I don't know if I'm just misinterpreting this.

View attachment 196091

Your profile does not indicate the hardware you have... but I see nothing wrong in the image you provide.

Keep in mind that SystemInformation->USB is completely inadequate to diagnose USB problems.

Okay, thanks.

Tried the HDD on a macbook and it did the same thing, so yeah it looks like the drive is the issue. Trying to recover the partition now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back