Contribute
Register

El Capitan on Lenovo P50

Status
Not open for further replies.
It matters not at all if the card is whitelisted for a lenovo machine or not. The card in my x230 is an atheros but the computer sees it as an intel 6300. I never tried to get the wifi working in windows, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't worth the effort it would take to do that, my thought would be to use the cellular slot and just run two cards if windows use is important to you. It will of course work fine in linux as well!

Also as I just read that someone put in a whitelist removal request for this machine.....that is literally NEVER going to happen, with the insyde bios and the way its encrypted the only way to do this is using something like a jtog connector hooked directly to the flash memory and then flash it from another machine. Im guessing thats more involved then most people want to do on this new of machine (myself included!).

that is literally NEVER going to happen
NEVER say never, as it's been done with other machines, as you just said you would have to flash the chip directly from the board.
This is exactly what I'm going to do with my handy SPI programmer and my good ole Thinkpad X1. I agree it's more involved than most people are comfortable with, but I think it's well worth the trouble to get reliable WiFi + BT and get rid of my godawful WiFi usb. With the added benefits of using any card you wish, especially if you want to upgrade it in the future.
Also hoping that I can get the bios unlocked for advanced menus and finally change the DVMT-prealloc.

Yeah, I know that it can be done directly flashing the chip remotely. I just assume most ppl wouldn't want to do that on this new of machine, I also have 3 years of warranty on mine, so that flat will not happen. When I get a break I will attempt to refresh a card as I have experience, and the desktop machine that has the hardware and software I need to make that happen.

When I get a break I will attempt to refresh a card as I have experience, and the desktop machine that has the hardware and software I need to make that happen.

It would be awesome if you flash a card that would work for this machine.
I'd be very interested to know how the process works, as I would like to try it also.

Edit:
It is a sad day for my P50, doubt there will ever be a solution for internal wifi(for both Windows and Mac) at least this point in time. Can't even hardware flash bios as it is locked down with newer RSA signed keys and no luck at rebranding newer BCM cards. Rebranding older cards may work but will also need an adapter to NGFF. But on a good note, at least I believe I have the Nvidia card working.

Last edited:
Ok, so I have been asked to help develop an iOS class at my university, and will receive credit for it (my last elective). As such....this project IS going to now get my full attention. First thing of course is wifi..... It has been at least 3 years since I did my x230...same issue wifi cards and whitelist yada yada.... as I mentioned I used linux and a desktop machine to re-assign hardware addresses in the actual firmware of the wifi card and then used fakepciid to reassign them in X ( or macOS if you wish) and that machine (i did a lot of other work besides) is still perfect to this day. I seem to remember that there were issues (or no info) on refreshing broadcom cards. Im currently working on final projects for the quarter, but once that is over I will start to give figuring out a wifi solution that works.

Ok, so I have been asked to help develop an iOS class at my university, and will receive credit for it (my last elective). As such....this project IS going to now get my full attention. First thing of course is wifi..... It has been at least 3 years since I did my x230...same issue wifi cards and whitelist yada yada.... as I mentioned I used linux and a desktop machine to re-assign hardware addresses in the actual firmware of the wifi card and then used fakepciid to reassign them in X ( or macOS if you wish) and that machine (i did a lot of other work besides) is still perfect to this day. I seem to remember that there were issues (or no info) on refreshing broadcom cards. Im currently working on final projects for the quarter, but once that is over I will start to give figuring out a wifi solution that works.

Also in general I am going to try and pay attention more to the forums.... As a note I have a full skylake 6700k system that I use as my main machine. I also can provide a step by step VMware player (or whatever) solution to running X that works with current Sierra.....downloaded from the App Store no shady use my image stuff. I go to a school in Washington.....and finally fighting tooth and nail they are going to let me ACTUALLY learn some Apple stuff. As a note....hackintoshing since 2006.

I. But on a good note, at least I believe I have the Nvidia card working.
Please could you outline how you got the quadro to work.
I currently have the HD530 up and running but it reports 7Mb Graphics memory and is flickery and the GUI lacks transparency.
I have installed the OSX Nvidia drivers for 10.12.2 - the Driver Manager Preferences display all slots empty. I have tried setting the config.list to nvidia inject, the BIOS startup as discrete graphics and set the flag "nvda_drv=1" in clover - all to no avail.
Thanks

To recap:
I have audio (AC298), trackpad (+nipple) Integrated Graphics HD530 (1.5Gb) and a Bluetooth (CSR8510) dongle working. I wish to get the battery meter, backlight control and NVidia m2000m working and will purchase a compatable Wifi / Bluetooth card for an almost complete system. Other things that will need attention are Webcam
So here are the verbose grabs + the Clover files

Attachments

• IMG_20170510_090016.jpg
    IMG_20170510_090016.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20170510_085948.jpg
    IMG_20170510_085948.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20170510_085943.jpg
    IMG_20170510_085943.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20170510_085938.jpg