Contribute
Register

eelhead's G5 Mod [REDUX] New pics and sorted first post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: eelhead's G5 Case Mod [Done]

eelhead, I start the mod. I do this (for now)

I cut the tray of the old case, them I fit in the G5 with my old mobo and graphic card. Because I'm doing with my dad, he's very creative with this kind of things.

So, we decide to use a screw with the head down, and adjust the tray cutted from the old case with some washers. Not exactly beautiful, but as yet there is the possibility of using the mobo tray, we don't use the little things where you put the originals G5 screws (I don't remember the word in english, sorry)

For this we used something caled Soldimix, soldi from welding in spanish (soldar) and mix... well, I don't know. I guess this is a kind of epoxi, I only say to my dad what I need and he look in the deposit. Here a photo:

DSC00195.jpg

Later, very quickly I put the tray with the mobo and the graphic card, for a better adjust. Later, I put some tape for don't moving it. I need to wait 24 hours, so tomorrow at 18hrs, I will see what I can do.

For now, looks like this: (I will take the tape of course)
DSC00196.jpg

Now I have a question. From the old case, I have this cables:
DSC00198.jpg

So, I'm thinking if I can cut them for make my front panel. They had in the other side this little black things (I don't remember word) and going to the mobo. Some of them had this words:
DSC00199.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

Maybe again I'm very stupid, but I can using it? In that case, I need to cut the plastic, get the interior of copper cable and input in the G5 front panel cable?
Later, how I can leave them subject to the connector? I don't know if I'm wrong, but with hot silicone?

In that way, I can do the same with the fans, no?

Thank you very much for all your help!

Abel.

Awesome your getting the motherboard in!!

You can use those wires!!!!! Those are the ends you need! I had t buy mine because I didn't have another PC to use parts from. You can use what you can with those :D
Always better to recycle your old parts, it's cheaper so you don't have to spend money!

Edit:

Ok here are photos of front cable to IO set up

ProntPanelCable.jpg

Jumpercableandplugs.jpg

Cablesandjumpers.jpg

TYPO ALLERT!!!!!! MENT 1 - 18 NOT 1 -20!!!!!!!! THERE IS ONLY 18 PIN CONNECTOR!!

Hi Eelhead - Thanks for getting back with the photos of your PSU mod. I'll probably do something simular, although I might use the 2 smaller Apple fans instead of the big 120mm on the top. Did you consider using the 2 smaller fans?

Cheers,
Simon

simonb76 said:
Hi Eelhead - Thanks for getting back with the photos of your PSU mod. I'll probably do something simular, although I might use the 2 smaller Apple fans instead of the big 120mm on the top. Did you consider using the 2 smaller fans?

Cheers,
Simon
Well I had to open the top for the modular plug panel and I was thinking that I am replacing a 600w with an 850w that I would like some more air flow. So I decieded to make the 120mm work from the top. Also I have the open spaces in the cavity of the PSU case filled with the extra lengths of the PSU cable and that also would restrict air flow.

Ooook, I was thinking cut the cables from the old case, and only introduce it in the connector, I feel scary of cut the able... :shifty:

I don't have check out the mobo tray yet, but I guess the aluminium touch the epoxi and now is "epoxed" to the case too. Now I see the gus mod and I think: why you cut the originals standorff??? :banghead:

But well, I was thinking is the only way, att the end, If I use the mobo tray (available in 45 days) this was a good start, but I'm thinking maybe I will leave like is right now... lol

abelpinate said:
Ooook, I was thinking cut the cables from the old case, and only introduce it in the connector, I feel scary of cut the able... :shifty:

I don't have check out the mobo tray yet, but I guess the aluminium touch the epoxi and now is "epoxed" to the case too. Now I see the gus mod and I think: why you cut the originals standorff??? :banghead:

But well, I was thinking is the only way, att the end, If I use the mobo tray (available in 45 days) this was a good start, but I'm thinking maybe I will leave like is right now... lol
Oh I didn't see you cut the standoffs :eek:

They snap right out with pliers :oops:

They snap right out with pliers ?

What are you saying? I should leave them? I take it off because I feel too much separation, and the pci don't stack as I hopping, for that reason I cut them. I have in a box, because I'm thinking put all them at the same higher, for use in a future, if I decide to use the mobo tray or, if I decide to make this most beauty. Remember, I use a flat head screws on bottom, and subject the tray with some washers. Before using the epoxy, put everything in place, put the epoxy on the case and then presented the motherboard tray and pci. So I think I hit the tray. But no record either. (I use a translator in a part of this fragment, hahaha)

Maybe tonight I will start with the front panel. I will cut, I don't have more options. But I need to study a little music, so I will do later of that... Thank you again!

¬¬

Well... for the other that I left, I will do it like that.

Ok, the tray was glueded to the case with the epoxi. So, I lost all that. But well, this is the first time when Abel meet the electronic.

I have a this moment in front of my a old Gigabyte mobo (the actual with OSX is Intel). I trying to understand the thing for the front panel.

I have this two:
file.php

And
file.php

So, as I can understand, you need connect number. The second diagram have color, and some of them match with the colors of the cable case.

Now the things is I feel confused with where connect. I'm thinking follow the second by color, but I dont have for example the audio sense. I have in the cables from the old case, a tiny speaker with two cables (red/black) but no the green and blue. Really, I'm stuck with the cables and the mobo in front of me.

And each color means a polarity?

Last edited by a moderator:

:crazy:

I don't know about the colors, I'm sorry. I did mine with all black wires :oops:

I wouldn't look at the colors I would look at your mobo and what connects to that. Do not look at the two speaker wire because that one is for the simple speaker. You want to use a HD audio header which is a 9 or 10 pin post on your motherboard (well it was on mine).

The two wire speaker for me was on my F_Panel header next to my LED+ and LED-.

You can use your pluges there but don't go by true color code, what your doing is making up your own wire harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back