Contribute
Register

eelhead's G5 Mod [REDUX] New pics and sorted first post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: eelhead's G5 Case Mod [Done]

^^^^ Nice Minhack! UK supplies FTW :D

As for the PSU simon, I did get the modular plugs secured by using two of the G5 standoffs JB welded to the to of the PSU. What I did if you look at the photos is use part of the original PSU casing with the vents. I used the vents as the hold down points of the modular plugs.
I can get a better pic if you need to see it.

Ok, so eelhead, the thing going fine.

Here in Venezuela we have a page for Mac things, in fact, the name is cosasparamac, something like: thinksformac... So, I feel very sad when I notice the high price of the shipment to Caracas from USA for the weight, so, for don't leave pass the idea, I put a advice looking for a G5 or Mac Pro tower. I was thinking nobody goings to reply, because is little hard a PowerMac going bad...

But, for my surprise, a guy write to me. The G5 that he offer to me, stop to work. The processors broke up, and he decide to sell in part. And he contact me. We negotiate, I give him 500bsf and he sell me the case, with all the fans, the transparent plastic, and the inside G5 panel, and other parts that I don't know where they was. So, was a good deal. 500bsf is something like 120$ (4,30bsf per dollar, regulated by the goverment) or 50$ (10bsf per dollar). In any case, I think was fine. My mom is not happy. She thinks this is spend money for nothing. :(

The case have a scratch in the left side. The guy was moving and somebody put the PowerMac in a bad place. The other thing, is in the inside, some kind of liquid spilled because there are some corrosion. Ah, he give me the case with all the cables, bay, and even all the screws. The cover panel for the psu too, this piece is the most damage, looks very ugly for the corrosion... but it's minimal. In conclusion: he only take of the mobo, optical drive and hard drive. Later I will try to put a photo.

So, now I have the most important thing: the case and of course, the desire. I don't know how to start. I want the most "easy, quickly, and clean way". Maybe is the tray way, but I want to know I few things:

- I will be able to put another mother board if I want to update my pc?

- Can I use the originals fans?

- Can I use the originals cables? Even the cables of the front panel?

I was a little afraid about this: a few years ago, my brother buy a new case for his computer. I remember when they change all the stuff from the old case to the new "and futuristic, lighted" case... well, since I know, the motherboard burned. He cry a lot. So, my pc right now is ok. I think I've never wanted more than now so I want to be very carefully... What things I need to now for a safety and happy way for do it this?

Thanks for all!!!

That's great you have a case!!!

- I will be able to put another mother board if I want to update my pc?

- Can I use the originals fans?

- Can I use the originals cables? Even the cables of the front panel?

If you do a motherboard tray in it then yes you will be able to upgrade the case that the motherboard can hold, say ATX & XATX. You can always use all of those with enough PCI openings if you need them.

You can use the original fans, you have to wire them for 5v because at 2v they might be to loud. The one thread here has wire guides viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1849
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=12845
if not aquamac forums have them in the G5 section. http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk5

You can use the Sata cables from the HDD(s) and if you wire up your own front IO you will need that little cable. You will have ot use that to convert to molex ATX plugs. Other then that most of the G5 cables do not work on the ATX motherboard, unless you are stripping them all out and not using the ends.

Re: eelhead's G5 Case Mod w/ Wire Diagrams[Done]

Wire diagrams the front panel is 2004 G5
The rest for fans should be the same until the change over to Mac Pro.

Attachments

• PowerMac G5 Front Panel.jpg
    PowerMac G5 Front Panel.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 1,155
  • PowerMac G5 Back Fan @7v.jpg
    PowerMac G5 Back Fan @7v.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 508
  • PowerMac G5 Back Fan @12v.jpg
    PowerMac G5 Back Fan @12v.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 948
  • PowerMac G5 CPU Fan.jpg
    PowerMac G5 CPU Fan.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 991
  • PowerMac G5 HDD Bay Fan @12,5v.jpg
    PowerMac G5 HDD Bay Fan @12,5v.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 646
  • PowerMac G5 Pci Fan @12,5v.jpg
    PowerMac G5 Pci Fan @12,5v.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,479

eelhead said:
LMAO No mine didn't either, I'm laughing because I too used a twist tie and have been with no issues :lol: ;)

haha cool :D i also used some duct tape to hold the two ends of the twist tie together. maybe i will use some electrical tape instead

Thanks MiniHack - I saw these ones before and although the Mountain Mods look nicer, I think I'll have to go with the cheaper Lian Li's. I still need to get the multi-tool as well so its going to cost a bit.

eelhead said:

As for the PSU simon, I did get the modular plugs secured by using two of the G5 standoffs JB welded to the to of the PSU. What I did if you look at the photos is use part of the original PSU casing with the vents. I used the vents as the hold down points of the modular plugs.

Hi EelHead - I think i understand - if you could post a picture that would be great just so I can fully understand where you're coming from.

Thanks, Simon

simonb76 said:
Thanks MiniHack - I saw these ones before and although the Mountain Mods look nicer, I think I'll have to go with the cheaper Lian Li's. I still need to get the multi-tool as well so its going to cost a bit.

eelhead said:

Hi EelHead - I think i understand - if you could post a picture that would be great just so I can fully understand where you're coming from.

Thanks, Simon
I will do so this evening when I get home, 1500 (PST) :D

Greetings eelhead (and everyone else),
Let me start by saying that I absolutely love your G5 mod. I was browsing the net today looking for some ideas, and I came across this thread.
I have a G5 that died on me several years ago, but I kept the case cause I love the design. I have been running the MacPro now for a while for my music studio, and I wanted to add another computer to run my samples. I would love to have a G5 case moded - it can be either windows or hackintosh, no preference - but I know how to work on musical instruments and not on computers. Given that I live in Tucson, I wondered if you, eelhead, would be interested in putting the computer together. I will get the parts and certainly compensate you for your work. Hopefully, we can work something out.
All the best!

eelhead said:
simonb76 said:

eelhead said:

Thanks, Simon
I will do so this evening when I get home, 1500 (PST) :D

So Sorry a day late!! but here is the pick of it and of course another inside shot.

IMG_5316.jpg

IMG_5320.jpg

Eelhead, I think you've mentioned this before, but you mounted the HDD cages under the optical drive by screwing it in right?

Also, JW what is that silver sticker on the bottom left of the case for? I was about to remove it, but hesitated haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back