Contribute
Register

eelhead's G5 Mod [REDUX] New pics and sorted first post

Status
Not open for further replies.
eelhead said:
All good, I just wasn't understanding the right side thing was all :D

Ok so the metal cut out of the G5 on the right is as low as I could get to the side of the case. The screws you see on the right are what the rear IO plate is screwed to the motherboard tray.

The mini bolts in the second picture are actually needed. They are how the rear IO plate is fastened to the G5 case. You can see I got way too close to the edge and I had to use a washer on two of then to hold the IO plate in place. The other reason I got close on that side was because I wanted the 80mm fans to sit flush on the rear IO plate section.

Oh, I gotcha. So for the fan side, you're doing more of a clamping action by using the washer rather than using the bolt through the mesh.

And as you said in an earlier post, you used the original G5 standoffs to mount the mobo tray to the G5?

I'll be creating a thread soon that outlines every tiny step, to make this build completely foolproof, even to the average joe.

kevinnphamm said:
I'll be creating a thread soon that outlines every tiny step, to make this build completely foolproof, even to the average joe.
OK but I an guarantee that no guide is foolproof as there are to many fools in this world lol
But we all look forward to what you will bring to the table :D

Lol, I JBwelded 7 standoffs to the side of the G5 and followed that up by JBwelding the backpanel to the mesh. That motherboard isn't going anywhere.

eelhead said:
Sorry they don't like me there lol

Well, you know Eelhead it is definitely THEIR loss..... :thumbup:

So I'm trying to figure this out... Everything works flawlessly, except my optical drive. It's not even a software issue.

My optical door (G5) won't open correctly. You hear the DVD tray trying to come out, but then it just hits the back of of optical door. I have already removed the back plate on the optical drive and the front face. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back