Contribute
Register

Early Adopter's Guide to Intel's Haswell CPUs and 8-Series Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this article on the net talking about how Apple requested a SPECIAL ORder HIGH EnD set of Haswell CPUs that support the 5200 onboard graphics.. Would that basically kill off the Haswell Hackintosh boards listed here. I don't see any of them supporting the 5200 graphics. Here is the link to the article. So I guess I should take my motherboard and cpu back to the store and purchase the old Ivy Bridge...... What do you guys think......??

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/26...-high-end-haswell-processors-for-macbook-pro/

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/26...-high-end-haswell-processors-for-macbook-pro/

Article: Early Adopter's Guide to Intel's Haswell CPUs and 8-Series Motherboards

I found this article on the net talking about how Apple requested a SPECIAL ORder HIGH EnD set of Haswell CPUs that support the 5200 onboard graphics.. Would that basically kill off the Haswell Hackintosh boards listed here. I don't see any of them supporting the 5200 graphics. Here is the link to the article. So I guess I should take my motherboard and cpu back to the store and purchase the old Ivy Bridge...... What do you guys think......??

The reason you don't see any of them supporting the 5200 is due to the fact that the 5200 does not use a socket and is soldered directly to the motherboard.

Article: Early Adopter's Guide to Intel's Haswell CPUs and 8-Series Motherboards

The reason you don't see any of them supporting the 5200 is due to the fact that the 5200 does not use a socket and is soldered directly to the motherboard.

Good point however.... If the new MacBookPro with Haswell comes out with the other graphics onboard ..... How will we ever get the Mac OS to install on our systems....

Good point however.... If the new MacBookPro with Haswell comes out with the other graphics onboard ..... How will we ever get the Mac OS to install on our systems....
The top of the line iMac 27" has an i7-3770 so expect the i7-4770 in the next revision.

The top of the line iMac 27" has an i7-3770 so expect the i7-4770 in the next revision.
Hmmm sounds good. On another note.. I got my build on a workbench using the z87mx-d3h... the wired thing is I got it to start the install then it hangs... I did it again and it worked but stalled at 2 minutes remaining.. Do you think its the board.... Also can you recommend a board that has mSATA that would be a great hackintosh feature.. Even if I have to revert to Ivy Bridge.. can you let me know about the mSATA...If i revert to Ivy bridge I know I will have to purchase a new board and CPU..

The CPU box says support for 4600 so should i opt for a different CPU.

I finally plumped for the Gigabyte H87-HD3 motherboard (in terms of DIMM slots, PCE-e slots, ports etc.). It seems to fit with my maximum bang-per-buck strategy and being thoroughly mainstream, has as good a chance as any of being compatible with Mavericks. I am prepared to use Ubuntu if Mavericks fails to fire up.

I am a developer rather than a gamer and I am particularly interested in GPU computation. On the same basis, here is a quick analysis of performance per £ of NVidia GPUs showing the thoroughly mid-range 650Ti to be best value on current (UK) pricing.

GPUs.jpg

I finally plumped for the Gigabyte H87-HD3 motherboard (in terms of DIMM slots, PCE-e slots, ports etc.). It seems to fit with my maximum bang-per-buck strategy and being thoroughly mainstream, has as good a chance as any of being compatible with Mavericks. I am prepared to use Ubuntu if Mavericks fails to fire up.

I am a developer rather than a gamer and I am particularly interested in GPU computation. On the same basis, here is a quick analysis of performance per £ of NVidia GPUs showing the thoroughly mid-range 650Ti to be best value on current (UK) pricing.

GPUs.jpg
Looks impressive however I think I will be breaking my system down and returning the CPU and motherboard this weekend. No telling what Apple will do and the CPU's have been out for a few months. I don't think its worth the risk for anyone to even use the Haswell as a Hackintosh right now. It may have been better not to even post the list of Haswell boards and CPUs... Yeah I know it says early adopters but I think we dropped the ball on this one. I don't think this current crop of boards is going to work. Apple is going to pull something. I just have a feeling about this. The new MAC Pro is out. the new mac air has Haswell. I am thinking there is going to be a big difference with the next crop of macbook pro coming and we all should just wait and see. I was very hopeful that the Haswell list here would work but as each day goes by I am beginning to think that all the early adopters here are going to get a royal burn on this one. Just my thoughts. Does anyone agree or can anyone shed some light on this.

Looks impressive however I think I will be breaking my system down and returning the CPU and motherboard this weekend. No telling what Apple will do and the CPU's have been out for a few months. I don't think its worth the risk for anyone to even use the Haswell as a Hackintosh right now.

Yes, I agree it is high-risk. I am happy with that risk because Linux is my insurance position. I am sure Apple would like to close off the Hackintosh market altogether.

Yes, I agree it is high-risk. I am happy with that risk because Linux is my insurance position. I am sure Apple would like to close off the Hackintosh market altogether.

for most of us the risk is too great......:thumbdown:....... I loved Linux however there are just a few programs I can't do without. I have yet to find a Linux based applicaiton on par with Logic Pro, Final cut..etc.... Hackintoshes rock. I will always have one. All I am saying is that we should have stuck with Ivy Bridge until the new Apple Products based on Haswell make it to market.

On another note I have access to a Haswell Macbook Air. I was able to wipe the hard drive funny thing it let me install OS X Mountain lion from my old install USB Stick that I used for my MacBook Pro (Late 2012) it then pulled some update from the software update. If this is the case why am I having issues intstalling on the Haswell board.

Any suggestions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back