Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROCK X570
CPU
RYZEN 3500x Threadripper 12CORE
Graphics
AMD RD580X
Hey there!

I have a working Hackintosh in Catalina and I love it. I work professionally both in video and music. I desperately need a better gpu for renders, and don't want to go the RADEON VII / 6900xt route cause I want those CUDAS! The problem is, I don't want to keep having to swap in and out my rx580 for the 3080 every time I want to use my PC or vice versa. And since I'm using a Ryzenx cpu I don't have an igpu so that dang HDMI port on my MOBO doesn't even give signal.

Is there ANY work around for this? Should I buy an E-GPU for the 580? I need the thunderbolt port for the UAD Apollo. I don't even want to use the GPU for the MAC side, I just need it for audio production. Any way to get a dang video signal without a gpu?

help help help my head spinnin.

Thank you!!!

Hey there!

I have a working Hackintosh in Catalina and I love it. I work professionally both in video and music. I desperately need a better gpu for renders, and don't want to go the RADEON VII / 6900xt route cause I want those CUDAS! The problem is, I don't want to keep having to swap in and out my rx580 for the 3080 every time I want to use my PC or vice versa. And since I'm using a Ryzenx cpu I don't have an igpu so that dang HDMI port on my MOBO doesn't even give signal.

Is there ANY work around for this? Should I buy an E-GPU for the 580? I need the thunderbolt port for the UAD Apollo. I don't even want to use the GPU for the MAC side, I just need it for audio production. Any way to get a dang video signal without a gpu?

help help help my head spinnin.

Thank you!!!
The way I see it you are replacing the graphics card every time you want to run another OS, and you want to avoid doing this every time. Correct?

I think you have 2 choices :
(1) Run your current system using your preferred OS (maybe MacOS?) and build a second system to run the other. If you budget allows this may be the simplest way to achieve what you want without needing to reconfigure the system or replacing the graphics card.
(2) If building a second system is not feasible, you might be able to search around for ways to disable the 3080 when booting MacOS. That way you might be able to run MacOS using the RX 580 without (too much) interference from the 3080. This will only be feasible if your motherboard has a second PCIe x16 slot to host the RX 580.

If you opt for (2), you must make sure your power supply is capable of supplying power to both graphics cards at the same time. Note also that for most motherboards (probably including yours) the available bandwidth for the graphics cards will be reduced from x16 to x8 if both PCIe x16 slots are occupied. You will also have to test whether such a configuration is actually possible for your system (i.e. Will MacOS Catalina still boot successfully in the presence of the 3080 and whether the graphics card will interfere in other ways even if you can boot MacOS successfully?). There is no guarantee such a configuration will work.

Don't waste money on an eGPU box even if your system has available Thunderbolt ports. It might work in Windows, but it is unlikely to work in MacOS.

you need to find the PciRoot of the 3080 than use the WhateverGreen patch to disable-gpu.so something like -->
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
disable-gpu Data 01000000) this should disable 3080 at boot so Catalina is only seeing
the rx580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back