i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I thought that I'd just post this since I haven't seen any recent threads on it.
I'm using windows 10 and parallels 10. I didn't want to create just a virtual machine copy, but a hard drive copy of windows that I could directly boot into and also run a virtual machine of while running mac.
After some experimenting i've have decided that the best way to multiboot AND run a virtual version of the harddisk would be using separate hard drives. I currently have to ssd hard drives 500gb samsung (would have gotten 250gb if I knew they had to be separate) and 250gb crucial.

I've used a successful bootcamp file from my macbook pro. Opened it and had parallels "copy" a new version into the documents applications(parallels) folder. When it runs it fails. Just click the red button and shutdown the virtual machine. Then configure this new bootcamp. Click on hardware tab, then edit partitions and make sure that both partitions are selected. I don't know if or how this matters, but I have locations sata 0:3 selected. Your bootcamp or windows hard drive and parallels virtual machine should now both run.

Also of note the windows hard drive is formatted in GUID scheme not master boot.

I used winclone mac application to copy my bootcamp hard drive from my macbook pro to the hard drive to be used on hackintosh. Of note I liked doing this because I could keep my bootcamp drivers for reading mac formatted harddrives and using mac keyboards for brightness (only applicable for laptops) and sound. When updated from win7 to win10 bootcamp drivers got removed. I was unabled to install bootcamp drivers onto windows hard drive on hackintosh without them being installed originally on a mac computer bootcamp.

Usually the product key can then be changed from properties on mypc change product key, but windows 10 has some issues with this I haven't done this yet, but I plan to use the command line to change the product key using the instruction on this page.
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-change-windows-10-product-key/

Another note: for virtual machine software to work on hackintosh I had to enable "intel virtualization" in the motherboard bios. Vt-d is still disabled and mac does not run with this enabled. After enabling said function parallels works seemingly fine.
Bootcamp file.
View attachment My Boot Camp.pvm.zip

Any comments on other people's success would be great.

Great work and tips!

I'm currently thinking about how to best dual boot El Capitan (or sierra in the near future) and Windows 7 or 10.

I'd like to be able to use the Unity feature on VMware Fusion 8, and use basic Windows stuff from inside OS X. Also I'd like to use the brightness and volume buttons on my mac keyboard. This was not possible by doing a "clean" install of Win 10.

I have a late 2013 rMBP. Guessing I would have to use this as the "bootcamp donor" of either Win 7 or 10, right?

I'm in the same boat as you. Got a 1TB SSD for OS X and a 250GB for "bootcamp".

Thanks for the insight on this rather tricky procedure.

I thought that I'd just post this since I haven't seen any recent threads on it.
I'm using windows 10 and parallels 10. I didn't want to create just a virtual machine copy, but a hard drive copy of windows that I could directly boot into and also run a virtual machine of while running mac.
After some experimenting i've have decided that the best way to multiboot AND run a virtual version of the harddisk would be using separate hard drives. I currently have to ssd hard drives 500gb samsung (would have gotten 250gb if I knew they had to be separate) and 250gb crucial.

I've used a successful bootcamp file from my macbook pro. Opened it and had parallels "copy" a new version into the documents applications(parallels) folder. When it runs it fails. Just click the red button and shutdown the virtual machine. Then configure this new bootcamp. Click on hardware tab, then edit partitions and make sure that both partitions are selected. I don't know if or how this matters, but I have locations sata 0:3 selected. Your bootcamp or windows hard drive and parallels virtual machine should now both run.

Also of note the windows hard drive is formatted in GUID scheme not master boot.

I used winclone mac application to copy my bootcamp hard drive from my macbook pro to the hard drive to be used on hackintosh. Of note I liked doing this because I could keep my bootcamp drivers for reading mac formatted harddrives and using mac keyboards for brightness (only applicable for laptops) and sound. When updated from win7 to win10 bootcamp drivers got removed. I was unabled to install bootcamp drivers onto windows hard drive on hackintosh without them being installed originally on a mac computer bootcamp.

Usually the product key can then be changed from properties on mypc change product key, but windows 10 has some issues with this I haven't done this yet, but I plan to use the command line to change the product key using the instruction on this page.
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-change-windows-10-product-key/

Another note: for virtual machine software to work on hackintosh I had to enable "intel virtualization" in the motherboard bios. Vt-d is still disabled and mac does not run with this enabled. After enabling said function parallels works seemingly fine.
Bootcamp file.
View attachment 147838

Any comments on other people's success would be great.

Could you clarify the last part. I know that hacks above 10.9 cannot run with intel VT-d but without you cannot use a VM, so how did you "enable" it to make parallels function without causing massive issues with the system boot itself? Please clarify.

Could you clarify the last part. I know that hacks above 10.9 cannot run with intel VT-d but without you cannot use a VM, so how did you "enable" it to make parallels function without causing massive issues with the system boot itself? Please clarify.
VT-d is not the same as Intel Virtualization Technologies. Disable it in firmware, or drop DMAR table in clover options if this isn't possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back