4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Plus
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello!

When I try running Boot Camp Assistant, it says "You must update your computer's Boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistant." When I try installing windows on a separate partition, manually, it tells me that it won't install because the disk is formatted GPT and must be formatted MBR in order to install.

I'd really like to be able to solve this solution without doing a new install. Can any of the following be done?
  • Use Boot Camp Assistant anyway?
  • Install Windows even with GPT?
  • Change from GUID to MBR without erasing the drive?
  • Clone my current drive to a second drive formatted MBR?

I'm running a GA-Z77-DS3H with Mountain Lion.

Thanks so much.

Hello!

When I try running Boot Camp Assistant, it says "You must update your computer's Boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistant." When I try installing windows on a separate partition, manually, it tells me that it won't install because the disk is formatted GPT and must be formatted MBR in order to install.

I'd really like to be able to solve this solution without doing a new install. Can any of the following be done?
  • Use Boot Camp Assistant anyway?
  • Install Windows even with GPT?
  • Change from GUID to MBR without erasing the drive?
  • Clone my current drive to a second drive formatted MBR?

I'm running a GA-Z77-DS3H with Mountain Lion.

Thanks so much.

Bootcamp does not work with PC-Macs and is not needed. If you want to install Windows, best to put it on a separate drive. If for some reason you must install it on the same drive with OS X, and you have already installed OS X, it can be done as long as the Windows partition is one of the first 3 partitions you see in Disk Utility.
First thing you need is a method to boot your build - either rBoot or UniBeast USB.

Launch disk utility, shrink the OS X partition by 100Gb (you could get by with 75Gb if you had to) format this partition only as MSDOS FAT32, insert your Windows install media and reboot.

At the BIOS post hit the function hot key that allows you to choose a boot device and choose the NON-UEFI version of your WIN7/8 install drive and boot it.

At the first install screen select custom, next screen select advanced, next screen click on format.
On the disk management screen click on the FAT32 partition and then click on the format button.
When complete, continue and install.
When you are finished with Windows, and at this point that is all that will boot, insert your rBoot or UniBeast USB and reboot. At the BIOS post hit the function hot key that allows you to choose a boot device and choose rBoot CD or UniBeast USB boot it.
At the OS X desktop, reinstall Chimera bootloader with the standalone installer or with MultiBeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back