Contribute
Register

Dual Boot macOS 10.12 Sierra and Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already have Windows 10 installed on a SSD and would like to install sierra on a separate SSD in the same system.

Do I follow this guide --> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/ and install it the same way?

Are there any additional things/features/settings I should pay attention to or know of?

Thanks!
This question has been asked, and answered, many times. A forum search and research would have told you the answer.

Installing on separate drives just disconnect the other OS drive while installing to prevent accidental formatting of the wrong drive and install on the empty drive.

Installing your boot loader is a different problem. Is your Win10 installed Legacy Mode or UEFI Mode?

Sorry. I have been searching through this forum and had a hard time finding correct answers. So I tried to get an updated answer.

My windows is installed in legacy mode. Will that be a problem?

Sorry. I have been searching through this forum and had a hard time finding correct answers. So I tried to get an updated answer.

My windows is installed in legacy mode. Will that be a problem?
Not at all. Just install Clover in Legacy Mode so it can see the Windows Legacy boot icon and boot it.

That's good news.

So I'll install Sierra in Legacy as well so I can choose which OS i want to boot from clover right?

That's good news.

So I'll install Sierra in Legacy as well so I can choose which OS i want to boot from clover right?
You install Sierra the same regardless of the boot loader. It is the Clover boot loader you install Legacy to be able to boot either Sierra or Windows Legacy install.

Oh I see.

Another question, the installation guide states:
"UEFI Boot Mode is recommended for 7/8/9/100 Series CustoMac desktops and all UEFI capable systems. Legacy Boot Mode is recommended for 5/6 Series CustoMac desktops and all BIOS based systems."

How do i determine which series I'm on?

Your legacy installed Windows is installed Master Boot Record formatted HDD. You seem to have 2 recovery partitions - one is you old system so you can roll back Windows 10 to your old system and the other is the Windows 10 recovery/refresh. These are disk hogs.
OS X requires GUID partition tables + OS X formatting or GPT+ - this and MBR are mutually exclusive - you cannnot have both on the same drive, so you either need another drive for OS X or you have to re-install Windows. If you intend to keep the Win10, I would back up all of my files and do a clean install if I were you.

i have windows 10 installed on mbr formatted drive but can convert it to gpt without data loss. can i install OS X after that or do i have to do a clean install?? please help.

i have windows 10 installed on mbr formatted drive but can convert it to gpt without data loss. can i install OS X after that or do i have to do a clean install?? please help.
The problem with converting to GPT is that you now lack an EFI partition. You can delete the system reserved partition, create an EFI partition and get your EFI boot files into it so you can now boot Win10 UEFI, but how large is the EFI partition? You need at least 200MB EFI partition before OS X will install on the drive.
Your best bet is a clean install of Win10 UEFI or just leave it installed MBR and install OS X on a separate drive with Clover installed Legacy mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back