Contribute
Register

Dual Boot Hackintosh/Windows 10 - Issues w/ Loading OSX after upgrading Windows Disk to NVME

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Hi Everyone! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer on my issue. I read through many threads to see if I could find an answer but I couldn't find anything that quite lined up with the issue I am facing.

I have a dual boot Intel i7 7700-k Windows 10/OSX machine. The windows and OSX installs are on separate hard drives and I used Clover Bootloader to choose between the two operating systems.

I had a 250GB SSD for the Windows install and a larger HDD (I think 2TB) for the OSX install. I was running out of space on the SSD I was using for Windows so I decided to upgrade the Windows drive to a 4TB NVME.

I built this computer in 2017 and have not had any issues until just yesterday when I installed the NVME drive.

During the process of upgrading, I opened my computer chassis, disconnected the HDD with the MAC install, backed up the 250GB SSD with Windows on it, and then restored my backup to the 4TB NVME drive.

Next, I rebooted the computer with just the NVME drive attached. Windows booted up with no sign of the Clover Bootloader. I thought this was odd, but maybe since the OSX drive was disconnected, it didn't need to show up.

Then, I shut down the computer, reconnected the HDD with OSX on it, and restarted it. Clover Bootloader still did not show.

Next, I plugged in the USB drive with Clover Bootloader on it that I used when I first built my Hackintosh, I restarted the computer, went into the BIOS and selected the USB drive as the boot drive. This brought Clover Bootloader back. However, when I selected the OSX option, the Apple logo displays along with the progress bar. However, the screen hangs there with just a tiny bit of the progress bar showing as complete. I waited several minutes to see if the progress bar would go any further, and it wouldn't. I also tried booting into verbose mode by pressing CMD+V during the start up process to see if I could identify what was causing it to hang. Verbose mode did not activate, so I don't have any more info on why it's hanging.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to:
1. Bring back bootloader without inserting my bootable USB drive?
2. Be able to boot into OSX again?

Is there any more info I need to provide for someone to diagnose this issue?

Hi Everyone! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer on my issue. I read through many threads to see if I could find an answer but I couldn't find anything that quite lined up with the issue I am facing.

I have a dual boot Intel i7 7700-k Windows 10/OSX machine. The windows and OSX installs are on separate hard drives and I used Clover Bootloader to choose between the two operating systems.

I had a 250GB SSD for the Windows install and a larger HDD (I think 2TB) for the OSX install. I was running out of space on the SSD I was using for Windows so I decided to upgrade the Windows drive to a 4TB NVME.

I built this computer in 2017 and have not had any issues until just yesterday when I installed the NVME drive.

During the process of upgrading, I opened my computer chassis, disconnected the HDD with the MAC install, backed up the 250GB SSD with Windows on it, and then restored my backup to the 4TB NVME drive.

Next, I rebooted the computer with just the NVME drive attached. Windows booted up with no sign of the Clover Bootloader. I thought this was odd, but maybe since the OSX drive was disconnected, it didn't need to show up.

Then, I shut down the computer, reconnected the HDD with OSX on it, and restarted it. Clover Bootloader still did not show.

Next, I plugged in the USB drive with Clover Bootloader on it that I used when I first built my Hackintosh, I restarted the computer, went into the BIOS and selected the USB drive as the boot drive. This brought Clover Bootloader back. However, when I selected the OSX option, the Apple logo displays along with the progress bar. However, the screen hangs there with just a tiny bit of the progress bar showing as complete. I waited several minutes to see if the progress bar would go any further, and it wouldn't. I also tried booting into verbose mode by pressing CMD+V during the start up process to see if I could identify what was causing it to hang. Verbose mode did not activate, so I don't have any more info on why it's hanging.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to:
1. Bring back bootloader without inserting my bootable USB drive?
2. Be able to boot into OSX again?

Is there any more info I need to provide for someone to diagnose this issue?
at the clover boot menu, press space bar and then select verbose mode from the list...

You need to change the boot disk order in the bios, so your macOS UEFI disk is the first/priority drive in the bios boot menu. If the Windows drive is first Clover will never show.

Alternatively press/spam the F8 key when turning the system on. You should see an option for both drives, selecting the macOS drive will show the Clover boot loader, selecting the Windows drive will use the Windows boot loader.

Back