Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I'm a mac professional that's new to the whole Hackintosh/CustoMac thing but really considering it.

Here's what I'm looking for. The experts here can let me know if I'm completely off my rocker.

Is it possible to do a stable 12 core (dual 6 core) build using most of the Pro Socket parts? Would I need a different motherboard? Again... I'm a novice so don't laugh. I really want to learn how to do this. I'm a professional freelance artist and 3D animator that needs to upgrade to the most powerful Mac I can get but cringe when I think about spending $8000 on a new Mac Pro that still uses outdated tech. I'd rather take a chance at building my own.

Thanks

if you currently have a single cpu mac pro, then you cant.
youd need to change the mobo, and a mobo for the mac pro will be $$$

alternatively, you could try your hand at a dual cpu hackintosh.

currently the most popular dual cpu builds are the evga sr2 for lga1366, or the asus Z9PE-D8 WS for lga2011

Yea... I'm looking to do a Hackintosh build with dual processors. All I have right now is an old iMac with an old Intel Core 2 Duo. Bought it way back when I was only doing Graphic Design. Now I'm doing full fledged animation and FX and want a powerhouse to crank out my renders.

Samisnake it looks like you gave me the answer I need with those dual cpu builds you suggested.

If anybody else has any other suggestions for the best places to get hardware for a dual cpu build please let me know.

Thanks

Also... one more question. Is the Evga SR2 board compatible with the 6 core i7 processor or just the Xeon?

Thanks.

you can only use xeon cpus in a dual cpu config.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back