Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z270X-UD3
CPU
Intel Core i7-7700K
Graphics
ASUS RADEON RX560 2GB OC
So recently I discovered that my second drive that I have in my hackintosh was not set up correctly. I use a SSD for the system and a HDD for almost everything else (documents etc.). The HDD is exFAT formatted, because if needed I could recover files from a windows machine. The SSD is not APFS converted and I use HFS +J. I run macOS High Sierra. The problem is that the HDD does not remember my finder preferences that I set up as default. The "Date Modified" column always says "1 January 1980 @ 0:00". The directories & files inside show correct modified/created dates. I do not have problems with Read/Write permissions. I can't change the permissions from "Get Info", there is no lock and no field that shows which users/groups have permissions, it only says "You have custom access".

Disk Utility shows that Owners: Disabled. How do I go about fixing this ? Official apple documentation does not mention anything close to this ?

The HDD is exFAT formatted, because if needed I could recover files from a windows machine.
Your issue is probably caused by a limitation of the exFAT file system.

exFAT is a file system developed for flash drives and has little or no resilience which means that the slightest error can result in the loss of all of your data. Sharing the drive between operating systems multiplies the risk of corruption.
If you value your data do not use exFAT.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will have to do a backup and reformat the drive at some point. The intention of formatting the drive to exFAT was that if my machine broke I could connect it to another machine and do work, because I could read/write on both Win and macOS. I do not swap them every now and then.

What would be a file system that in a case of an emergency I would be able to transfer files from my HDD that was used in my hackintosh without much hassle. Should I stick with HFS+ or use FAT32 ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back