Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Does my motherboard support Thunderbolt 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI
CPU
i7-6700 OC @ 4GHz
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,
I've built my Hackintosh using the GA Z170N Wifi and am currently trying to set it up to be used with a Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface. The integrated USB C Port doesn't work, and I read that you need to get a PCIe Card (GC Alpine Ridge). I also read though, that not all motherboards support this card and I'm not sure whether mine will, before I go ahead and buy it.
If it doesn't work, are there any other Mini-ITX Motherboards, which will support such a card or even have native Thunderbolt?
Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I've built my Hackintosh using the GA Z170N Wifi and am currently trying to set it up to be used with a Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface. The integrated USB C Port doesn't work, and I read that you need to get a PCIe Card (GC Alpine Ridge). I also read though, that not all motherboards support this card and I'm not sure whether mine will, before I go ahead and buy it.

If it doesn't work, are there any other Mini-ITX Motherboards, which will support such a card or even have native Thunderbolt? Thanks in advance!

No, your motherboard does not support Thunderbolt 3 as it does not have the Thunderbolt hardware onboard. Having a USB-C port does NOT mean having Thunderbolt support.

Your motherboard also does not have a Thunderbolt add-in card connector, which means no support for Thunderbolt 3 cards like the GC Alpine Ridge you mentioned.

As far as I know, for current ITX motherboards only the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac has Thunderbolt 3 support :

The older ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac also has Thunderbolt 3 support :

You will also need a new 8th generation or 9th generation i3/i5/i7/i9 CPU to go with either of the above motherboards.

The even older ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac also has Thunderbolt 3 support and works with your CPU :

But it has been phased out and is no longer available new.

And by the way, if you are running Mojave the GTX 960 is not supported due to lack of Nvidia drivers.

Last edited:
No, your motherboard does not support Thunderbolt 3 as it does not have the Thunderbolt hardware onboard. Having a USB-C port does NOT mean having Thunderbolt support.

Your motherboard also does not have a Thunderbolt add-in card connector, which means no support for Thunderbolt 3 cards like the GC Alpine Ridge you mentioned.

As far as I know, for current ITX motherboards only the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac has Thunderbolt 3 support :

The older ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac also has Thunderbolt 3 support :

You will also need a new 8th generation or 9th generation i3/i5/i7/i9 CPU to go with either of the above motherboards.

The even older ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac also has Thunderbolt 3 support and works with your CPU :

But it has been phased out and is no longer available new.

And by the way, if you are running Mojave the GTX 960 is not supported due to lack of Nvidia drivers.
Thank you for the detailed answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back