Contribute
Register

Does my inexpensive laptop support OS X Mavericks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've searched throughout Google and this website for a post related to my laptop's specifications.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find an answer to the following situation.

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 3531 laptop for basic college functions, and I have tested multiple Linux distributions and Windows installations that support UEFI.

This laptop came with an Intel Celeron N2830 Bay Trail-M processor with Intel HD Graphics. (I'm not certain of which version of HD Graphics as it doesn't say on the system specifications or on any Google results that I've found)

I have the App Store version of Mavericks 10.9.1 backed up on my external HDD for recovery purposes, and I have all of the necessary software to make a bootable USB installer with the Clover bootloader.

I did manage to boot to the default Mavericks bootscreen, but it didn't progress further than the bootscreen. I'm not certain if that was due to a kernel panic or unsupported hardware.

This is why I surrendered and came forth to this forum to see if I can get closure on this problem.

Optional: Has anyone else managed to boot into OS X with a Bay Trail-M processor?

I've searched throughout Google and this website for a post related to my laptop's specifications.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find an answer to the following situation.

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 3531 laptop for basic college functions, and I have tested multiple Linux distributions and Windows installations that support UEFI.

This laptop came with an Intel Celeron N2830 Bay Trail-M processor with Intel HD Graphics. (I'm not certain of which version of HD Graphics as it doesn't say on the system specifications or on any Google results that I've found)

I have the App Store version of Mavericks 10.9.1 backed up on my external HDD for recovery purposes, and I have all of the necessary software to make a bootable USB installer with the Clover bootloader.

I did manage to boot to the default Mavericks bootscreen, but it didn't progress further than the bootscreen. I'm not certain if that was due to a kernel panic or unsupported hardware.

This is why I surrendered and came forth to this forum to see if I can get closure on this problem.

Optional: Has anyone else managed to boot into OS X with a Bay Trail-M processor?

OS X does not support BayTrail Intel HD graphics.

[Solved] Does my inexpensive laptop support OS X Mavericks?

Thank you for giving me closure on this. You have saved me days of struggle attempting to work with this laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back