Contribute
Register

Does Intel's New X79 Support Lion? [SOCKET 2011]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: If intel new X79 support lion?

kurtface said:
Lion 10.7.3 Asus X79 Pro, i7 3930K, 32GB G-Skill F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH, Asus GTX 580

Gtx 580 Dual Monitor setup, Sound and Bluetooth all working like a dream.

Gtx 580 kext from osx86

Multibeast 4.2.1
No EasyBeast install
No UserDSDT Install

ALC8xxHDA
AppleHDA Rollback
Non-DSDT HDAEnabler = ALC892
Universal = VoodooHDA 0.2.1

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
FakeSMC + Plugins
NullCPUPowerManagement
hnak's AppleIntelE1000e

Chimera v1.7.0 did not work.
Chimera v1.5.4 from the Multibeast 3.9.0 for Snow Leopard works fine.

This was a fresh install onto a new SSD.

Hope this Helps.

Re: If intel new X79 support lion?

Got my Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 System working this morning, dead easy just followed the iboot and Multibeast guide, used easy beast as no DSDT. Now running with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Only issue was that I had to add the PCIRootUID=1 to get the install to complete, but a real breeze after that. Thanks to TonyMac.
• GPU:Sapphire Radeon HD6850
• Cooler:Xigmtake Aegir SD 128264
• HDD:Seagate Barracuda 500GB Drive
• Optical: Pioneer DVR-S19LBK

I wonder what the Geekbench scores are on these X79 bad boys? I would imagine well north of 15000. Much thanks to those on the bleeding edge who have shown X79 systems are possible on Lion!

Well I finally got to building my new system today :D :D I think it is high time we can say to the question of this thread "Does Intel's New X79 Support Lion?" --- YES it does.

BUILD:
Asus X79 Sabertooth
Intel i7-3960X
Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz (32 Gb) - 8-8-8-24 1.5v
MSI Nvidia GTX580 Twin Frozr II GPU
Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler
Kingston SSDNow OS Drive

First created a fresh Lion USB Boot Disc using Multibeast 1.2 and Lion 10.7.0.

Booted using default Bios settings except for activating an XMP profile for the memory (8-8-8-24 - 1600mhz - 1.5v)

Did Lion install, ran Multibeast 4.3.2, rebooted, updated to 10.7.3 and reinstalled Multibeast 4.3.2.

System is working like a charm so far:
- Have Audio, Lan, Graphics
- System shuts down and restarts perfectly
- Display sleeps and wakes
- All USB Ports detected (No USB 3.0)
- All SATA Ports detected
(Detected as Asus X79 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller thanks to kurtface's AppleAHCIPort.kext which I modified a little cosmetically to say ASUS X79 :))
- Haven't tested PC sleep function, don't use sleep and won't waste time on it.

I ran Multibeast 4.3.2 with the following options:
- Easybeast
- System Utilities > Repair Permissions
- Kexts > Audio > ALC8xxHDA + AppleHDA Rollback + ALC892 (NON-DSDT)
- Kexts > Disk > IOAHCIStorageInjector + 3rd Party SATA + TRIM Enabler (for SSD)
- Kexts > Nvidia 4xx/5xx Support > 10.7.2/10.7.3 Combo (ONLY installed this after updating to 10.7.3)
- Kexts > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins > Motherboard + Nvidia
- Kexts > Network > hnak's IntelE1000e

NOTE: ONLY after updating to 10.7.3 did I run Multibeast again to install Nvidia 4xx/5xx support. Before this step graphics card was not detected properly. After installing the Nvidia 4xx/5xx support from Multibeast I then downloaded and installed Nvidia CUDA Driver 4.2.7 from Nvidia's web site. This made the graphics a lot smoother, still a little jittery entering launchpad etc but not so noticeable after installing CUDA. I'm sure further updates to Lion will improve graphics even more and Mountain Lion even more.

Fixed CPU unknown using kurtface's fix of adding the following to smbios.plist
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1281</string>

Really not much in the way of anything that needs fixing or tampering with so it's back to work and getting all my apps installed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.34.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.34.57 AM.png
    31 KB · Views: 391
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.35.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.35.15 AM.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 366
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.34.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.34.49 AM.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 357
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.34.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.34.42 AM.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 374
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.34.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.34.29 AM.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 391
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.33.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.33.52 AM.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 363
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.32.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 1.32.56 AM.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 374
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 12.59.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-18 at 12.59.13 AM.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 404
Yes it is possible.

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79
Processor: i7 3930K (overclocked to 4.1GHz)
Memory: 32GB DDR3
Video: GTX 580 Ti
Hard Drive: 1TB (Western Digital)

Recognizes all 32 GB of memory and all 6 cores. Apple uses 6 core and 8 core procs, so I knew it would work well.

Installation method:
1. Lion 10.7.2 from USB stick (Unibeast)
2. There was an issues with the boot loader Chameleon recognizing the boot sector size. Prior to going through the install I had to change the boot sector using these steps:
- Boot to Unibeast install
- properly format the HD to prep for HD
- before installing go to root of the usb stick
- dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0r2
( Replace disk0r2 with the partition found using the command "diskutil list". You want to use the partition that will install OSX. you will ruin the boot partition of your disk if you do the wrong one, so heads up. I found the solution here: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chame ... 29/#ic1582 )
3. Loaded on the same USB stick was Multibeast 4.2.1, and download Chameleon RC5
4. Run Chameleon, and reboot to ensure that your boot sectors are recognized by Chameleon. If not use the USB stick to boot the HD unitl it works.
5. Boot to OSX on Hard Drive and run Multibeast to load all your drivers.
- When running Multibeast with the x79, I found you have to check the following:
o "Easy Beast"
o "Drivers & Bootloaders>Audio>Non-DSDT HDAEnabler>ALC892"
o "Drivers & Bootloaders>Network>hnak's AookeUbtekE1999e Ethernet"
( This is what worked for me! ) You will also have to install your graphics.
6. Install whatever you want, you now have a working Hackintosh with 6 cores!

Only thing I am still trying to work on is getting on board USB 3.0 to work.

Enjoy!

geekmailbx said:
Yes it is possible.

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79
Processor: i7 3930K (overclocked to 4.1GHz)
Memory: 32GB DDR3
Video: GTX 580 Ti
Hard Drive: 1TB (Western Digital)

Recognizes all 32 GB of memory and all 6 cores. Apple uses 6 core and 8 core procs, so I knew it would work well.

Installation method:
1. Lion 10.7.2 from USB stick (Unibeast)
2. There was an issues with the boot loader Chameleon recognizing the boot sector size. Prior to going through the install I had to change the boot sector using these steps:
- Boot to Unibeast install
- properly format the HD to prep for HD
- before installing go to root of the usb stick
- dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0r2
( Replace disk0r2 with the partition found using the command "diskutil list". You want to use the partition that will install OSX. you will ruin the boot partition of your disk if you do the wrong one, so heads up. I found the solution here: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chame ... 29/#ic1582 )
3. Loaded on the same USB stick was Multibeast 4.2.1, and download Chameleon RC5
4. Run Chameleon, and reboot to ensure that your boot sectors are recognized by Chameleon. If not use the USB stick to boot the HD unitl it works.
5. Boot to OSX on Hard Drive and run Multibeast to load all your drivers.
- When running Multibeast with the x79, I found you have to check the following:
o "Easy Beast"
o "Drivers & Bootloaders>Audio>Non-DSDT HDAEnabler>ALC892"
o "Drivers & Bootloaders>Network>hnak's AookeUbtekE1999e Ethernet"
( This is what worked for me! ) You will also have to install your graphics.
6. Install whatever you want, you now have a working Hackintosh with 6 cores!

Only thing I am still trying to work on is getting on board USB 3.0 to work.

Enjoy!

Try this one :D

I am sooo JEALOUS! I am currently on page 8 reading every single post. I feel like selling my z68 build and start on this x79!!!!!

screenshot20120419at084.png

hows this? :headbang:

btw all the prices are excluding VAT so don't be alarmed when you UK guys see the ultra cheap prices on the jpg.

but everything comes to around £2000. ouch *bleeding* already.

My question is, is it worth it? I read here and elsewhere, too often, of getting the OS installed, and yet the actual performance results are often discouraging. To those who have successfully installed the OS, how is performance versus Windows 7 or Ubuntu? I read comments about poor graphics performance, no CPU scaling, no speedstep... is this really the best OS to use with Sandy Bridge-E?

This won't be my first build, I'm happy to work through the issues, but only if it's worth it. I've got a 2600k build running OSX... will this run any better with current driver support? I welcome thoughts.

mattchid said:
My question is, is it worth it? I read here and elsewhere, too often, of getting the OS installed, and yet the actual performance results are often discouraging. To those who have successfully installed the OS, how is performance versus Windows 7 or Ubuntu? I read comments about poor graphics performance, no CPU scaling, no speedstep... is this really the best OS to use with Sandy Bridge-E?

This won't be my first build, I'm happy to work through the issues, but only if it's worth it. I've got a 2600k build running OSX... will this run any better with current driver support? I welcome thoughts.

My build is performing like an absolute beast.

No USB 3.0 but will try the Lacie Kext above and see what happens, although the Asus board uses an ASMedia chip for USB 3.0

I can honestly still say my system will outperform windows (any flavor) on this same hardware. OSX outperformed windows hands down on my previous hardware and I expect the same from this system. Judging from the last 3 days of performance I would not even waste my time loading windows to even test or prove it.

Here's a screen grab of the system running Prime95 with all 12-cores clocked at 100% and CPU temp (maxed) at 53 Deg C thanks to the H80 cooler. While it was all clocked out at 100% I could still open other apps like there was nothing running in the background. In fact this Prime95 test was run while I was typing this response. I have worked with Windows my whole life EXTENSIVELY, I know Windows inside out and I can assure you that Windows normally falls to pieces with a scenario like above. The screen grab also shows 100% functioning Intel hyper-threading.

I do not care what Cinebench or Geekbench says about my system as I have found benchmarking apps to be horribly inconsistent. What I do know is what I see and what I use on a daily basis and nothing will touch this system, I think this build will even give the latest greatest Mac-Pro a real run for its money.

@mattchid yes it is worth it. If you go with hardware like mine and others in this topic that works 100% then you will not have any problems. It took me 35-40 minutes to install Lion, update it to 10.7.3 and have everything working with Multibeast. I had no fiddling whatsoever other than inserting the CPU id into the smbios.plist file and modifying AppleAHCI kext. I have done several builds over the last 2 years, this was hands down the smoothest and most trouble-free yet !!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-20 at 10.30.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-20 at 10.30.47 AM.png
    533.9 KB · Views: 349
I use a 3960x myself right now, but I have an ASRock x79 board, and for whatever reason i've had trouble in the past. I've tried just about every flag on Unibeast, but can't get past the apple screen before install. It's either my motherboard (though other z68 ASRock boards just like mine have no problems), or my 6670 or 560ti that give problems, ive tried both.

Either way, even getting installed is proving a hassle, though its good to hear performance is good. I will say this for benchmarking apps, like geekbench, they can indicate bad driver support. If a machine score dramatically lower than it should, you know there's an issue somewhere. I recently built a box for work with an Xeon E5 and was getting dramatically lower scores than my 3690x, which told me the drivers were off, fixed that, scores jumped.

Thanks for the insight, i guess I'm going to have to troubleshoot my hardware issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back