Contribute
Register

Does Intel's New X79 Support Lion? [SOCKET 2011]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mitchellk

Would you kindly post up a detailed Story/Description on "User Build" Section?
Or are you not allowed to do that because you have unsupported hardware?

either way it would be wicked if you did!

Would love to see pictures!

:headbang:

Here are some pictures of my build. Many thanks to everyone in this thread that helped make it possible!

front.jpg

inside.jpg

mitchellk said:
No USB 3.0 but will try the Lacie Kext above and see what happens, although the Asus board uses an ASMedia chip for USB 3.0

The Lacie kext + patch is working great on my Asus RIVE! I haven't actually tested any USB 3 devices -- as I don't have any -- but the USB3 ports started working. You should try it.

Thanks psydafke for link to the patch.

MK500 said:
Here are some pictures of my build. Many thanks to everyone in this thread that helped make it possible!

Excellent, looking mighty sweet. I think that system is going to give you good service for some time to come. When Mountain Lion arrives I think we'll see even better support for the latest CPU's and chipsets. Good times !!!

Thanks for the heads up on the USB 3 kext, I'll try it this weekend and report back, I have USB 3 drives to test with.

@c0nartiste I'll post pics and details of my build over the weekend

mitchellk said:
MK500 said:

Excellent, looking mighty sweet. I think that system is going to give you good service for some time to come. When Mountain Lion arrives I think we'll see even better support for the latest CPU's and chipsets. Good times !!!

Thanks for the heads up on the USB 3 kext, I'll try it this weekend and report back, I have USB 3 drives to test with.

@c0nartiste I'll post pics and details of my build over the weekend

@MK500 woohoo! It's looking very sexy.

@mitchellk yea wicked! Yea when ML does eventually arrive I reckon were going to partying with it haha!

MK500 said:
mitchellk said:
No USB 3.0 but will try the Lacie Kext above and see what happens, although the Asus board uses an ASMedia chip for USB 3.0

The Lacie kext + patch is working great on my Asus RIVE! I haven't actually tested any USB 3 devices -- as I don't have any -- but the USB3 ports started working. You should try it.

Thanks psydafke for link to the patch.

awesome build! i'm still debating if I should go with the asus rampage extreme, the sabertooth, or the pro. I'm leaning towards the extreme if everything works dandy on it. is the p280 case pretty quiet?

djlild7hina said:
awesome build! i'm still debating if I should go with the asus rampage extreme, the sabertooth, or the pro. I'm leaning towards the extreme if everything works dandy on it. is the p280 case pretty quiet?

The P280 is super quiet. It sounds the most like a Mac Pro -- better in some ways. I have two Noctua slow fans (NF-P12-1300) up front pulling air into case and past the 6 hard drives. I keep the top two case fans on L and the rear on H. All are slow and quiet. The fans on my CPU heatsync are Noctua and run slow also. Then the big deal is the 3-fan cooling system on my GPU, which is the quietest GPU cooling system I've ever heard...and also one of the best coolers (Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II Cooler). The GPU cooler is a nightmare to work with; but well worth it for the sound. My PSU fan runs pretty slow as it is 1000W and my system runs peak 450W at the plug. Note that the motherboard fan was by far the loudest of the bunch until I set it to silent in BIOS (silent is 3000RPM...normal is 6000!). So that adds up to 12 fans all running slow!

I HIGHLY recommend the Rampage Extreme. I also was bouncing back and forth between all the ASUS boards, but basically it came down to the following:

Am I willing to pay around $100 more for every possible feature; knowing I'll probably have this board for 4 years? When you put it in the context of the overall cost of the system, it doesn't seem like that much $ extra. I sometimes replace components over my average 4yr system life, but almost NEVER motherboards (too much hassle).

I really appreciate the OC Key for Hackintosh use - it requires no software. I grabbed a spare LCD and USB keyboard and just leave it plugged in off to the side. You can hook a monitor to the OC Key even if the other end isn't connected to your video card. The keyboard goes into the white USB port on the motherboard; which is dedicated to ROG Key. I also connected the "remote OC Key switch" pins on the motherboard to my case reset button...since I never use it for reset. Now I can monitor ALL the details of my board no matter what is happening on the main machine. Temps, fan speeds, volts, everything. And I can even see the stats when the machine is powered off! I can watch my CPU slowly cool down (my monster heatsync stores heat for quite a long time). You can tweak overclock from here also, although some things seem to require a reboot (I'm still learning that part). It's kind of like one of those guys with the monster car engine mod tweaking their engine from the laptop :)

@ mk500 :O think you just sold me on the asus extreme :) might as well go all out if i'm going to be spending that much haha. i was debating between the p280, antec 1100, or the corsair 600t. ended up going with the 600t but something in my machine is kinda loud (maybe it's just because i'm right next to it) i'm assuming it's my fan connected to my antec 212+ or my hd5850.

Ok ive been following this thread for a while and i'm still having issues

My system Specs:
Intel Core i7 3820
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Nvidia GT 520 (looking to upgarde)
850 Watt PSU
Asus Blu ray Drive
WD 360 GB and 160 GB Hard drives (Installing Lion on 160 GB one)
Custom blue/ultra violet themed Water cooling
NZXT Phantom 410 Mid tower case

I used unibeast to install lion --> Boots with unibeast and Working fine
Updated to 10.7.3 --> Still Boots unibeast and working fine

But once i use multibeast and install the kexts mentioned a few posts ago by a someone with the same motherboard, i never get off of the apple startup screen. (Safe mode wont even start)

Current issues:
CMOS reset issue :evil: (this is infuriating and most annoying issue)
low resolution
USB 3.0
CPU not recognised
No temps or any type of monitoring
Unable to restart, shutdown

On the plus side, my bluetooth, LAN, and Usb ports work (but not a 3.0 speeds) without needing multibeast.This was typed on the installation of lion that i have probably now messed up due to a different variation of kext ill be installing after i type this post... :banghead:

Feel free to ask anything, i will deliver
My first hackintosh? sorry for any newbishness
Any pointers?... :|

C4rl_05z said:
Ok ive been following this thread for a while and i'm still having issues

My system Specs:
Intel Core i7 3820
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Nvidia GT 520 (looking to upgarde)
850 Watt PSU
Asus Blu ray Drive
WD 360 GB and 160 GB Hard drives (Installing Lion on 160 GB one)
Custom blue/ultra violet themed Water cooling
NZXT Phantom 410 Mid tower case

I used unibeast to install lion --> Boots with unibeast and Working fine
Updated to 10.7.3 --> Still Boots unibeast and working fine

But once i use multibeast and install the kexts mentioned a few posts ago by a someone with the same motherboard, i never get off of the apple startup screen. (Safe mode wont even start)

Current issues:
CMOS reset issue :evil: (this is infuriating and most annoying issue)
low resolution
USB 3.0
CPU not recognised
No temps or any type of monitoring
Unable to restart, shutdown

On the plus side, my bluetooth, LAN, and Usb ports work (but not a 3.0 speeds) without needing multibeast.This was typed on the installation of lion that i have probably now messed up due to a different variation of kext ill be installing after i type this post... :banghead:

Feel free to ask anything, i will deliver
My first hackintosh? sorry for any newbishness
Any pointers?... :|
That is why you are advised to instaal with the UserDSDT (without actually using a DSDT), because it uses a script that fixes things like bios reset (AppleRTC patch) per default.

Also for USB3 take a look in multibeast for kexts

For restart/shutdown, there is an Evoreboot kext in multibeast that should work.

Some more info or pics from Kernel Panics help a lot in solving problems...

Greetz and success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back