Contribute
Register

Does Carbon Copy Cloner Really Make a "Bootable" Hackintosh HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ashman70,
How can I (!) do this? Do you have an instruction How to "copy" a boot loader to a cloned HDD?

Thx. Oli

install chimera or clover. not copy. you can't copy a boot loader (unless you do sector to sector copy like clonezilla).

using the clonezilla live cd

Thanks for the advice. Because hackintosh are renowned for problems when applying core updates, I opt for Clonezilla Live USB (basically the same as CD, but for those that want to use a USB Drive/Stick) to ensure the entire disk/partition/boot data is backed up.

It might not be as fancy or friendly to use as Acronis, Norton or Time Machine running in your OS X GUI, but such backups don't need to be updated frequently, hence using this kind of thorough backup alongside an incremental backup solution is ideal. There is a great guide to Clonezilla

Here's my procedure, in my case from a 500Gb HD to 480GB SSD. Clonezilla kind of worked and it did boot, but as it proportionally reduced the partitions, OSX got confused about the partition sizes and I was worried that as I used up more partition space, OSX might write files off the end. So I restarted, and this is what worked:

1. Use Disk Utility to create a partition (can be max size) on the SSD (via USB harness)
2. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone mounted partition to SSD. This should make it bootable, but that's unnecessary for me, and should create recovery partition, but it didn't.
3. Use Clover installer (actually HP Probook Installer Clover Edition) within OSX to install Clover (and ONLY Clover) onto SSD.
4. Mount HD EFI partition, copy its files into a folder on HD. Unmount. Mount SSD EFI partition. Copy the copied files onto the SSD EFI partition
5. Disconnect drives and install SSD into laptop
--- The machine can now boot into OSX, but there is no recovery partition yet ---
6. Use Recover Partition Creator 3.8 to do what it says (requires access to "Install OS X yyyyyy.app")

Reboot - the Clover bootloader now provides options for normal or recovery boot-up.

Hello,
I used a bootable clonezilla usb stick for cloning from a 320 gb hdd to a 500 gb ssd. In clonezilla I did not use the expert mode. The clone process worked just fine and I am able to boot from my ssd but in OSX it just shows me a 320 gb drive. Could that be the fault of clonezilla? or can I change it somewhere in the system.

Thanks for your help

Okay I fixed the problem. First I had to use GParted on a live USB to create a hfs+ partition on the free space of the disk.
After that I was able to delete the partition in OSX and resize the my main partition to the free space. Now I can finally use my whole disk space

for a full working OSX I hook the HD to working Mac pc. create a image with Disk utilities and then i can restore where ever i want >i have backup USB Hd then install boot loader. with Mavrick

http://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=alternative

I used Clonezilla on my last clone & it took a little over 2 hours to do a 1.5TB disc, that has 3 slices. I think it's a bit faster because it calculates the bland space on the disc & knows it doesn't have to copy it to the other drive. Clonezilla is open source so they keep coming out with new versions all the time & there's a 32-bit & 64-bit version made with Ubuntu LINUX & the same from Debian LINUX, so it can be a bit confusing if you're no a UNIX/LINUX geek & you're just looking for something that works on a Mac. Just remember that underneath our cool looking Desktop beats a heart of UNIX/LINUX. I used the Ubunitu 64-bit "alternative stable release" & chose ISO. I was able to download the .ISO & burn a CD within 5 minutes. It goes quickly & works great.

I am trying to use clonezilla to get 1 TB hd to 256 GB sdd and It seems it can't resize the partition of 939 GB to fit on 256GB SSD one

I used the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner today to make a "bootable" copy/clone/image of the original hackintosh hard disk drive.

CCC said that the cloning process was successful. But when I plugged in the cloned drive in place of the original drive, I am not able to boot.

I made absolutely no changes to hardware, firmware, or application software.

The original and duplicate HDDs are exactly the same size and model number. The BIOS does not even sense the change in drives!

I am using the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac as a 15 day trial.

As I was reading threads on this topic, I came across an email that stated that Carbon Copy Cloner cannot make a clone of a Hackintosh drive.
To make the Hackintosh drive bootable, he suggested using Chimera or Chameleon bootloader. Really??? :crazy:

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

I think the best way is "dd if=/dev/DiskWithOldEFI of=/dev/CloneDiskEFI

Hi,

I used CCC to clone El Cap from one ssd to another, rebooted into Clover from first drive and loaded osx clone where I installed Clover onto the clone. Rebooting into new bootloader on my cloned drive I noticed Clover using the config.plist and kexts from first drive. Anyone have any idea how to keep them separate?

Thanks

My thing is a Snow Leopard trying to CCC to a new hard drive. It works but not the boot part. i have to boot into the Chameleon of the old OSX, direct it to the new, and then unplug the old OSX. So far I tried CCC, Super Duper and a few apps on the windows side from another disk's partition. oh and I lost the original Snow Leopard disk, probably because I'd instlalled it from USB... er.

With that in mind I was wondering if anything has developed lately to make it easy to get booting going? I might even consider having a Windows 7 install ont eh same drive just to see if EasyBCD might be enough to boot into OSX.

-SOLVED- Member Going Bald told me "This is a known error with some HDDs, especially WD Greens/Blues" and the answer is found here:

See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/boot0-error-the-official-guide.65706/

I tried the 2nd option and am good to go. Thanks much!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back