Contribute
Register

Does Carbon Copy Cloner Really Make a "Bootable" Hackintosh HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

just some general questions in addition relating "clone boot drives".

My config: 1) SSD 120 GB (OS and apps) and 2) HDD 1 TB (Home Folder, Data)

I have done a TM-Backup of my whole machine.

Afterwards - in addition and as it is recommended, - I cloned my boot drive (SSD) with CarbonCopyCloner (newest version) on an external drive (HDD, 250 GB), in order to have an exact copy of my current boot drive, therefore to have the option to go back/downgrade any time, as I am planning to update to Mavericks.
After cloning, I installed chimera boot loader via Multibeast (ML Version), again: as recommended.

So far so good.

1) HOW can I prove or be sure enough, that I have (with this clone) a bootable drive?
The clone is an external hdd case and I just plugged it in via usb, then I tried to boot from it (as the other internal drives where still attached to their sata ports). I pressed f12 (gigabyte board to select my clone) and/or I selected the clone at chimera boot loader window.

---I wasn't able to boot. Black Screen or endless gray screen (with apple logo).
SO do I need to unplug my SSD (main boot drive) and attach it to a SATA Port OR CAN I JUST TEST it with another method?
WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD to prove, that you have an bootable drive (exact clone of your main boot drive).

2) Assuming I am sure I have a bootable copy of my boot drive; I will upgrade to Mavericks and I don't like it or anything else will just go wrong.
--> In this worst case scenario, what is the process I have to complete to get my system BACK (with Mountain Lion installed on my SSD, as before)?
Boot with "backup clone", than wipe out the SSD and clone the clone again (funny sentence ;) on my SSD and install bootloader again)?

OH, I tried to boot the cloned drive with my MacbookPro (selecting it as boot drive of course) and I was able to reach the login screen, than after typing in my PW it was said, "you can't log in as (user name) at this time, login failed".
--> if this additional informations helps to assume whats going on.

Thank you in advance for any help. Probably some clarifying hints will help other users as well.

Cheers!

UP :)

I'd like to read somebody's answer concerning Galerius's questions .

Thanks

I'm also interested.

I've made SuperDuper clone of my SSD in 128 Gb USB 3.0 flash drive, but after reading this thread, I'm doubtful about the ability to boot my system from it.

So I my next iteration will be to buy some HDD, install in my USB 2.0 external case, make EXACT clone with EASEUS (as recommended), and then, I presume my chances of get booting in case of hackintosh-disaster will be higher...

Am I wrong? Any improvements?

Thanks.

I'm also interested.

I've made SuperDuper clone of my SSD in 128 Gb USB 3.0 flash drive, but after reading this thread, I'm doubtful about the ability to boot my system from it.

So I my next iteration will be to buy some HDD, install in my USB 2.0 external case, make EXACT clone with EASEUS (as recommended), and then, I presume my chances of get booting in case of hackintosh-disaster will be higher...

Thanks.

As long as you've successfully/correctly installed the bootloader on the backup drive, you should be able to boot from it by hitting the appropriate key at the BIOS splash screen to select boot drive and selecting the drive from which you want to boot. There is no need to disconnect other drives to check it out. If it doesn't work, then either the bootloader is incorrectly installed or the backup is bad. It's best to use the same bootloader for the backup drive as the boot drive (e.g., Clover for UEFI enabled systems and Chimera/Chameleon for BIOS systems).

-bth

I'm also interested.

Thanks.

what kind of bootloader do you use:
1. UEFI/GPT-EFI= Clover
2. MBR=Chimera
3. capable Bios

Here's how my system is setup (after years of trial and error):

So altogether I have 3-4 drives: mac/win dual booting on an ssd, which I cloned using the clonezilla live cd to a random emergency drive that Ive stored away as well as an image on my external hdd. Then I have that external being backedup everyday using CCC to another internal hdd.

... a few sidenotes:

- I used multibeast to insall the bootloader directly on my dual boot ssd
- I only save my OS and programs/plugins on my ssd, anything else gets saved to my external hdd
- I've tested the dual boot clone i made w clonezilla and have absolutely no problems, works great
- I literally just now tested the image I made by restoring it w clonezilla CD & it booted up great
- Ive tried CCC, Acronis, EaseUS, etc... but I like that clonezilla is linux bases and cross compatible, but
from what I remember CCC made bootable clones just fine
- Finally, just remember to mind your boot list and all should work great

Hope this helps, Ive found the only way to truely test a backup is to put it to use. A big thanks to Tonymacx86 for everything you guys do... if any of you guys appreiate their work and the community theyve built jump in occasionally and throw a bone to these users. We all gotta start somewhere.

I used clonezilla and the new drive (500GB SSD) booted up perfectly. So perfectly that the new drive thought it only had the 120GB capacity of the original. A quick resizing in disk utlity and everything is working great! thanks

for your advice!

Last edited:
I used clonezilla ... A quick resizing in disk utlity and everything is working great! thanks for your advice!

Hello,

Can you give me more details about this, please? No problems with missing boot loader? How to resize the clone (if the destination drive was bigger than the source: have you boot from source and than resize the destination drive with disk utility from source OS?

Thanks for a quick reply.

bye oli

... then simply install the boot loader of choice and you are done.

Hello ashman70,
How can I (!) do this? Do you have an instruction How to "copy" a boot loader to a cloned HDD?

Thx. Oli

Hello,

Can you give me more details about this, please? No problems with missing boot loader? How to resize the clone (if the destination drive was bigger than the source: have you boot from source and than resize the destination drive with disk utility from source OS?

Thanks for a quick reply.

bye oli

google "how to resize partition in mac".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back