Contribute
Register

direct update to Monterey from macOS High Sierra 10.13.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Is it possible to direct update to Monterey from macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 ? If so, is there any regard I should take into consideration? Many thanks!

i am interested in the same - currently on 10.13.4 :D

Is it possible to direct update to Monterey from macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 ? If so, is there any regard I should take into consideration? Many thanks!
I believe that a direct upgrade from High Sierra to Monterey is off the table. This is due to the (64bit-only) architectural changes in Catalina. Instead, you would need to progressively upgrade using the first release of Catalina (10.15.0), which still allowed upgrading from 32bit, and so on.

If only Mojave is offered through the Store, you may need to upgrade to that first, before Catalina. What's being offered currently?

After Catalina 10.15.0, it's a little blurry whether you first need to upgrade to a later (64-bit) Catalina, or whether you can then upgrade directly to the latest and greatest. Seeing what the Store offers at that point is probably a good indicator. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am interested in the same - currently on 10.13.4 :D
See my post above; but also be aware that GeForce 1060 might no longer be supported in macOS. As I understand it, Apple has dropped NVidia support significantly in Monterey. I suggest you do some research to be sure. Cheers.

but also be aware that GeForce 1060 might no longer be supported in macOS. As I understand it, Apple has dropped NVidia support significantly in Monterey.
The 1060 lost support years ago, after High Sierra. Didn't work with Mojave or newer macOS versions.
All Nvidia Kepler support has been completely dropped in Monterey. 100%. Everything gone after Beta 6.
It was expected. Kepler support lasted about 9 years so it was time.

The 1060 lost support years ago, after High Sierra. Didn't work with Mojave or newer macOS versions.
All Nvidia Kepler support has been completely dropped in Monterey. 100%. Everything gone after Beta 6.
It was expected. Kepler support lasted about 9 years so it was time.
I rest my case :)

Time to start shopping for AMD cards that don't cost a fortune. Best of luck.

I believe that a direct upgrade from High Sierra to Monterey is off the table. This is due to the (64bit-only) architectural changes in Catalina. Instead, you would need to progressively upgrade using the first release of Catalina (10.15.0), which still allowed upgrading from 32bit, and so on.

If only Mojave is offered through the Store, you may need to upgrade to that first, before Catalina. What's being offered currently?

After Catalina 10.15.0, it's a little blurry whether you first need to upgrade to a later (64-bit) Catalina, or whether you can then upgrade directly to the latest and greatest. Seeing what the Store offers at that point is probably a good indicator. Cheers.

I would say that an upgrade from High Sierra to Catalina is a good starting point for sure. That works with his current setup.

See my post above; but also be aware that GeForce 1060 might no longer be supported in macOS. As I understand it, Apple has dropped NVidia support significantly in Monterey. I suggest you do some research to be sure. Cheers.

If he has Nvidia drivers installed under High Sierra, it would actually allow him to run up to Big Sur (in VESA mode).
I've seen this occur in my tests. So he could install the Big Sur before swapping out for a new card.

As for cards, my recommendation at the moment for anyone wanting to run Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey is to go for a RX580 as minimum. Radeon VII, RX5500, RX5700, RX6800 & RX6900 are good bets also. RX6600 cannot as yet run anything less than Big Sur but works in Monterey 12.01.

I would say that an upgrade from High Sierra to Catalina is a good starting point for sure. That works with his current setup.

If he has Nvidia drivers installed under High Sierra, it would actually allow him to run up to Big Sur (in VESA mode).
I've seen this occur in my tests. So he could install the Big Sur before swapping out for a new card.

As for cards, my recommendation at the moment for anyone wanting to run Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey is to go for a RX580 as minimum. Radeon VII, RX5500, RX5700, RX6800 & RX6900 are good bets also. RX6600 cannot as yet run anything less than Big Sur but works in Monterey 12.01.
thank you very much for the clarification, then I will upgrade to Catalina. Should it be using the first release of Catalina (10.15.0) as macntosh pointed out? Is this confirmed? Or eventually I could upgrade from my High Sierra 10.13.6 to latest Catalina release?

I would probably just backup data and start afresh, in his situation, but he wants to upgrade, so there's little choice than the route I described. Anything above Catalina v10.15.0 [and possibly v10.15.1] simply won't allow an upgrade path from any prior version of macOS. I've kept a copy [v10.15.0] myself for just that reason, because one never knows when it might be needed, especially when toying with older hardware.
OP#2 has an NVidia GeForce 1060, which is very old and not supported in later iterations of macOS. Trs96 highlighted just how unsupported it was (Post #5). Perhaps he'd have some success with the GeForce Kepler Patcher, or perhaps not. Going forward, he's better off with Polaris+, anyway.
That's the general consensus; Polaris, and upward, depending on the piggy bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back