Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys. I'm following the CustoMac Mini buyer's guide, already got the case and HDD. The rest of the parts I'm getting at Micro Center, including the processor.

My dilemma: do I spend the extra $100 for the i5 CPU? :confused: I'm already about $90 over my funding, so it would really have to be worth it. I am planning on doing some low-end gaming, like Minecraft, and running a small game server, if that helps. Otherwise I will only be browsing/typing/ listening to music.

Of course I don't want to buy the i3 and regret in in the future, but then again I'm trying to save up for a car...

Thanks for any advice!

Hey guys. I'm following the CustoMac Mini buyer's guide, already got the case and HDD. The rest of the parts I'm getting at Micro Center, including the processor.

My dilemma: do I spend the extra $100 for the i5 CPU? :confused: I'm already about $90 over my funding, so it would really have to be worth it. I am planning on doing some low-end gaming, like Minecraft, and running a small game server, if that helps. Otherwise I will only be browsing/typing/ listening to music.

Of course I don't want to buy the i3 and regret in in the future, but then again I'm trying to save up for a car...

Thanks for any advice!

My advice is, if you're already that much over budget and you're trying to save up, stick with the i3. It's a very capable processor.

Agreed. It's a very decent processor, especially for what you describe you'll be doing. I've got both chips in two different hacks and the day to day operations speed is imperceptible.

On the other hand, transcoding a .mkv Blu Ray rip into a .m4v file takes about 5 hours on the i3, and about 2.5 or so on the i5. So if you are doing processor intensive apps (looks like you aren't) the i5 is the better choice.

I iniatilly bought a i3 2105 for htpc purpose and I was planing to buy a i5 2500k for my main build (fractal mini, see my signature). I get so surprised how the i3 worked that I put it on my main computer and bought a celeron for htpc.

After that I get another i3, but ivy bridge - i3 3225 and it is even better than sandy bridge version.

Thanks for clarifying guys. Looks like i'll stick to the i3!
I'd actually recommend you get the i5. It's a true quadcore and can really accelerate certain tasks, especially as more and more programs begin to leverage multiple cores. You would hate to have to upgrade in only a year or two, because you can't run a program as fast as you would like.

Thanks for any advice!

Have you seen this thread yet :?:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/deals-day/95017-ga-b75m-hd3-24-99-microcenter.html

TRS 2013-04-10 at 10.29.11 PM.png

I believe the bundle deals may work with Mini-itx boards as well, check with Micro Center.

I've mentioned this in another thread too, but what case are you putting this into ? As you're mentioning 'Mini' I'm assuming you may go for ITX so size matters. If you have one of them ultra compact ITX cases stick with the I3. If you want musclecar power, save up a few pennies and go for 3770S or T. The i5 is a great cpu, but it's one of the 77W TDP's. I have it in one oof the Streacom small cases, and temps go up to about 60C, even with an extra extraction fan running at 1500RPM.
Apple use Q's in their mini's, and they have very good reason to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back