Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 15 L501X Waste of Money & Time ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My God vladlenas! You're a fuc****g genius!!! :eek:
I think now is better, what do you think?
Novabench.png
Cinebench.png
Geekbench.png
Only one question: are your kexts enough to enable full graphics or I have to download official NVidia driver to? As I told to you I was thinking to make a new clean installation.

Thank you so much man, you're my idol! :clap:

Attachments

• Cinebench.png
    Cinebench.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Novabench.png
    Novabench.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 262
  • Geekbench.png
    Geekbench.png
    76 KB · Views: 314
trozminster said:
OK, so time to post my experiences so far with my Dell XPS 15 501x i3-370 with NVidia GT420M with Optimus.

I have a "successful" boot from the HD, with 1024x768 resolution only (using the internal GPU). I'm stuck at getting the NVidia card used as the primary card. :cry: :banghead:

To get this far I used Tony's iBoot, Multibeast & retail method, with iMonz's help for Multibeast options.

I got my DSDT from Windows that was pre-installed before the OSX install, patched it with everything I could, following tips in DSDTSE, including information about the 420M copied from the successful Acer Aspire 4741G DSDT (although no Optimus with this system). However I later removed the DSDT as it clashed with NVEnabler later on. Hence I think the install should be possible without it. I won't post it because I don't entirely trust the edits I made. I suggest learning how to do it yourself with DSDTSE.

I used the regular iBoot, with -x and PCIRootUID=1 flags on both initial boot and after SL install. Yes, it takes several minutes to get going each time. But it will work with those flags with the same system I have eventually!

Updated to 10.6.5 with the combo update (I think 10.6.6 will give a KP on install with AppleIntelHDGraphics).
In Multibeast, I followed iMonz's guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=246548, and installed those options.
Then, delete AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext from /S/L/E. Run System Utilities in Multibeast again to rebuild caches.
Reboot. That should do it. Boot with -v only (PCIRootUID fix enabled in Multibeast) and hey presto, that should boot.

Then, I installed Tony's Nvidia update and deleted the PCIRootUID=1 from kernel flags in the boot.plist.
But the Nvidia update didn't do anything…
I also did the 10.6.6 update, that KPd just before finishing installing (on AppleIntelHDGraphics) so I deleted those kexts again, in Single User Mode.

I then installed NVEnabler 64.kext, which removed the long wait at the start of the boot process after "NVidia 420M 0MB" etc. but achieved little else.
Relevant bits of the log shows:

Code:
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVDAGF100HAL loaded and registered.
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: init : begin
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : probe
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : ROM shadow enable
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : patch PRAMIN
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: False ROM signature: 0xffff
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : patch PROM
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: False ROM signature: 0xffff
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : patch bios at 0xc0000
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: dcb table at offset 0x0320
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: unknown dcbtable version 0x00
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: cannot find gfx bios
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler::probe fails
Mar 24 17:49:14 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: PEGP: Not usable

Other enablers also not working but I guess why would they - the onboard graphics work and so without anything telling it to switch, how can it.
And that is the lock to which I do not have the key.

All the other working solutions for the 420M DO NOT involve Optimus switching - and it doesn't look like anyone is working on it.

I would guess that the solution lies in patching DSDT to ignore onboard GPU and load the 420M - or better still switch (yeah right).

But right now I'm searching Dell's website looking for their returns policy.

Send yuo DSDT and IoregistryExplorer.dump I look
Your PCIRootUUID = 0

Code:
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVDAGF100HAL loaded and registered.
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: init : begin
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : probe
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : ROM shadow enable
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : patch PRAMIN
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: False ROM signature: 0xffff
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : patch PROM
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: False ROM signature: 0xffff
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : patch bios at 0xc0000
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: dcb table at offset 0x0320
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: unknown dcbtable version 0x00
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: cannot find gfx bios
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler::probe fails
Mar 24 17:49:14 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: PEGP: Not usable
This is bad

iMonz said:
Novabench.png
Cinebench.png
Geekbench.png
Only one question: are your kexts enough to enable full graphics or I have to download official NVidia driver to? As I told to you I was thinking to make a new clean installation.

Yuo must install nVidiaUpdate I think figures increase after update.

iMonz said:
You mean NVidiaUpdate by TonyMac or the official one? Thx.

as you like

iMonz said:
Novabench.png
Cinebench.png
Geekbench.png

Hello vladlenas
What I can do in my DTSE to obtain this results in Novabench ?
I edit my DTSE with the settings that you post in the page 12 and I have the same specs of your computer, but i cant obtain the same results of Imonz :banghead:

Thanks.

Attachments

• novabench.tiff
    63.2 KB · Views: 234
  • dsdt.aml
    41.2 KB · Views: 102
vladlenas said:
Send yuo DSDT and IoregistryExplorer.dump I look
Your PCIRootUUID = 0

thanks vlad.

i've attached a few configurations, don't know if that helps.

i'm not really using the edited DSDT, as I've tried to inject some values in there but it conflicts with NVEnabler and I'm not really sure what I'm doing with it.

I've also attached my clean DSDT, extracted with edits to make it compile only.

In System Profiler, it sees BOTH graphics cards, loads no kexts for either and gives basic res for the built in GPU, which is the one being used.

Attachments

• with ATY_Init and edited DSDT.zip
    306.9 KB · Views: 55
  • with ATY_Init and NO DSDT.zip
    275.8 KB · Views: 61
  • with NVEnabler 64 and NO DSDT.zip
    273.3 KB · Views: 64
clean dsdt

and yes, there is no PCIRootUID value specified so it uses 0.

Attachments

• clean dsdt.aml
    40.6 KB · Views: 112
Thanks for the help vlad you are my hero :thumbup:
my system are working very well now. But dont sleep, when I close the lid the system shutdown (fan, hd, screen) but when you open the lid and try resume the screen and the HD dont start and i need force the shutdown to resume.
Do you know how correct this problem?
Thanks You

icaruscr said:
Thanks for the help vlad you are my hero :thumbup:
my system are working very well now. But dont sleep, when I close the lid the system shutdown (fan, hd, screen) but when you open the lid and try resume the screen and the HD dont start and i need force the shutdown to resume.
Do you know how correct this problem?
Thanks You
I have not solved this problem but there is an output:
In terminal add this (sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 5) the deep sleep works
It is more about it herehttp://www.insanelymac.com/forum/in...showtopic=247741&st=0&p=1639045&#entry1639045 thanks theSlug.

P.S.And please write here for all that I have sent you of secrets should not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back