Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 15 L501X Waste of Money & Time ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
iMonz said:
Uhmmm :eek: ...there could be something wrong in my installation... :lol: :lol:

Write me you installed kext

Into Extra/Extensions
FakeSMC
NullCPUPowerManagement
VoodooPS2Controller

Into S/L/E
All the normal Kexts plus

VoodooBattery

From MultiBeast 3.2:
VoodooHDA
IOAudioFamily (yours one)
IOUSBFamily Rollback
USB 3.0 NEC/Renesas
Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Ethernet

And than I installed NVidiaUpdate by tonymacx86

Here there is my DSDT.aml (attached).

Anyway, can we talk on other way easier? I don't know...Skype? IRC?

EDIT: attached the entire list of kexts.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml.zip
    16.3 KB · Views: 99
  • E-E.txt
    66 bytes · Views: 118
  • S-L-E.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 176

Attachments

• 10.6.7.tiff
    188.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Gekbench.tiff
    136.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Audio.tiff
    102.6 KB · Views: 139
Amazing :D .
Is really usefull to update to 10.6.7? I'm thinking to make a new and clean install with all new kexts for Audio and DSDT Injections. What do you think?

iMonz said:
Into Extra/Extensions
FakeSMC
NullCPUPowerManagement
VoodooPS2Controller

Into S/L/E
All the normal Kexts plus

VoodooBattery

From MultiBeast 3.2:
VoodooHDA
IOAudioFamily (yours one)
IOUSBFamily Rollback
USB 3.0 NEC/Renesas
Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Ethernet

And than I installed NVidiaUpdate by tonymacx86

Here there is my DSDT.aml (attached).

Anyway, can we talk on other way easier? I don't know...Skype? IRC?

EDIT: attached the entire list of kexts.

There are no problems if you understand on Polish, Lithuanian or Russian. :D

iMonz said:
Amazing :D .
Is really usefull to update to 10.6.7? I'm thinking to make a new and clean install with all new kexts for Audio and DSDT Injections. What do you think?

I in the evening to you shall tell all.

vladlenas said:
There are no problems if you understand on Polish, Lithuanian or Russian. :D
No one of those :thumbdown: .
I mean write :p .... we can write on Skype or IRC in English... or not? :p

Anyway...have you found any problem with my kexts?

Thank you for your work and patient.

OK, so time to post my experiences so far with my Dell XPS 15 501x i3-370 with NVidia GT420M with Optimus.

I have a "successful" boot from the HD, with 1024x768 resolution only (using the internal GPU). I'm stuck at getting the NVidia card used as the primary card. :cry: :banghead:

To get this far I used Tony's iBoot, Multibeast & retail method, with iMonz's help for Multibeast options.

I got my DSDT from Windows that was pre-installed before the OSX install, patched it with everything I could, following tips in DSDTSE, including information about the 420M copied from the successful Acer Aspire 4741G DSDT (although no Optimus with this system). However I later removed the DSDT as it clashed with NVEnabler later on. Hence I think the install should be possible without it. I won't post it because I don't entirely trust the edits I made. I suggest learning how to do it yourself with DSDTSE.

I used the regular iBoot, with -x and PCIRootUID=1 flags on both initial boot and after SL install. Yes, it takes several minutes to get going each time. But it will work with those flags with the same system I have eventually!

Updated to 10.6.5 with the combo update (I think 10.6.6 will give a KP on install with AppleIntelHDGraphics).
In Multibeast, I followed iMonz's guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=246548, and installed those options.
Then, delete AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext from /S/L/E. Run System Utilities in Multibeast again to rebuild caches.
Reboot. That should do it. Boot with -v only (PCIRootUID fix enabled in Multibeast) and hey presto, that should boot.

Then, I installed Tony's Nvidia update and deleted the PCIRootUID=1 from kernel flags in the boot.plist.
But the Nvidia update didn't do anything…
I also did the 10.6.6 update, that KPd just before finishing installing (on AppleIntelHDGraphics) so I deleted those kexts again, in Single User Mode.

I then installed NVEnabler 64.kext, which removed the long wait at the start of the boot process after "NVidia 420M 0MB" etc. but achieved little else.
Relevant bits of the log shows:

Code:
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVDAGF100HAL loaded and registered.
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: init : begin
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : probe
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : ROM shadow enable
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : patch PRAMIN
Mar 24 17:49:02 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: False ROM signature: 0xffff
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : patch PROM
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: False ROM signature: 0xffff
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: probe : patch bios at 0xc0000
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: dcb table at offset 0x0320
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: unknown dcbtable version 0x00
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler: cannot find gfx bios
Mar 24 17:49:03 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: NVEnabler::probe fails
Mar 24 17:49:14 Dell-Hackintoshs-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: PEGP: Not usable

Other enablers also not working but I guess why would they - the onboard graphics work and so without anything telling it to switch, how can it.
And that is the lock to which I do not have the key.

All the other working solutions for the 420M DO NOT involve Optimus switching - and it doesn't look like anyone is working on it.

I would guess that the solution lies in patching DSDT to ignore onboard GPU and load the 420M - or better still switch (yeah right).

But right now I'm searching Dell's website looking for their returns policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back