Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 15 L501X Waste of Money & Time ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am afraid that the problem is the video card integrated into the processor.
i5-460m processor integrates an IntelHD video card that is not supported by SL. My i7-740M has not integrated any video card so the only one in my configuration is the 435M that is supported by NVidiaUpdate.

Intel hd and 420M are not supported by NVidia Update package, you need specific kexts but I believe there are no official packages yet.

You do not do anything wrong. I would try to eliminate those that generate the kext kp.

By eleminate, do you mean deleting the Kexts? And cheers for the quick feedback!

Pandorizer said:
By eleminate, do you mean deleting the Kexts? And cheers for the quick feedback!
Exactly. Try to boot in safe mode and delete that kexts, clear the caches and reboot. Make a backup of the kexts before delete them.

When I boot in safe mode (after installing the 10.6.6 upgrade), it just gets me to a blank screen (probably because of the missing support for my integrated graphics). I`ll just install 10.6.3 (that`s the version of my install DVD) again and wait with any upgrades. Just to let you know, the sound on my system worked flawlessly out of the box (booting with iBoot), even the sound control buttons worked!

But back to the topic:
Do you think it is possible to use some Kexts from 10.6.3 as they seem to work with my graphics card? And also, I found this --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t238819.html, which hints out that the GT420M could be used with tonymac`s nVidia package...

Cheers,
Pandorizer

Hey - could you check his method for sleep?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... &p=1639045

Pandorizer said:
Also, just for anyone trying an install on the L501X like me: The booting process takes ages! The computer does not hang on the nVidia Geforce GT420M (0mb) line, it continues loading something. It just takes some 4-5 minutes or so. You just won`t have any accelerated graphics, just graphics in the basic VESA mode :(

So... XPS with gf 420 for hackintosh is atm bad idea, right?
I wanna buy new notebook. L501x is my #1 at the moment - but I'll wait for l502x with SB and decide :)

Also, just for anyone trying an install on the L501X like me: The booting process takes ages! The computer does not hang on the nVidia Geforce GT420M (0mb) line, it continues loading something. It just takes some 4-5 minutes or so. You just won`t have any accelerated graphics, just graphics in the basic VESA mode :(

hello i have a l501x and i read both this forum and different guides about installing double and triple os'es but i didnt manage, even installing mac os first or windows first, i couldnt install the second system. mac gave unknown error when trying to format journaled second partition and when i installed mac first windows didnt want to install on GPT. i didnt have problems installing mac and booting it but i couldnt manage the second system. could any1 please help me? i noticed darkeyes did it already so i must be doing something wrong [mac install dvd was 10.6.3 and windows was x64 sp1 enterprise and oct 2010 enterprise].

should i try with different distributions ? please help me i bought this laptop especially for mac after reading this forum :D

vrtxf said:
hello i have a l501x and i read both this forum and different guides about installing double and triple os'es but i didnt manage, even installing mac os first or windows first, i couldnt install the second system. mac gave unknown error when trying to format journaled second partition and when i installed mac first windows didnt want to install on GPT. i didnt have problems installing mac and booting it but i couldnt manage the second system. could any1 please help me? i noticed darkeyes did it already so i must be doing something wrong [mac install dvd was 10.6.3 and windows was x64 sp1 enterprise and oct 2010 enterprise].

should i try with different distributions ? please help me i bought this laptop especially for mac after reading this forum :D
OSX can be installed on disk with GUID partition table only. When you install windows first, partition table is MBR. By the way windows can be installed on GUID too, so boot with OSX DVD and make all partition you want using GUID partition table option. Format the partition where you want to install OSX in Journaled and all the others in FAT, not all in Journaled otherwise Win will not recognize the partition. After that install whatever you want, I suggest you first install windows and then osx but is not obligatory.

well i couldnt install windows on gpt, no matter what those other partitions were. it gave me this exact message, windows cannot be installed on this disk. first i formatted 1st partition journaled, second and third fat. i proceeded with normal osx instalation and after it was done and i could boot in it i put windows 7 x64 dvd in and tried to install it but without any positive outcome. i have only 1 hard drive, 640gb. i really dont know what to do, i formatted entire hard disk several times now and i got really tired. im a web programmer and i really did alot of digging, on msdn it said that windows x64 could be installed but for some reason it didnt work in any distribution i tried [with and without sp1].

do you think you could point me to a specific tutorial for this? i followed 3 of them until now [lifehacker, the one posted here in italian and the sony vaio one].

any ideas ?

Anyone has running hackintosh on XPS14 i7 successfully? Any major issues?
Any issue with the Nvidia 425M graphic?

Cheers~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back