Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 13' (Skylake - 9350) macOS Sierra Install attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I've never done a hackintosh before, but I'm really interested in trying it with my XPS13 9350. I've been looking for info about how to do it, and this is the first thread talking exactly about it, so THANK YOU for your time trying to get it up and running, I'll be following your progress!!! THANKS AGAIN!

I posted my experience with Sierra here

if anyone else is looking to try it the only thing I changed from the El capitan installation to get it to work is by adding the NVMe kextstopatch in clover from here if it isn't recognizing your SSD and darkvoid's wifi patch from the common issues thread in this forum to get the wifi to work. sometimes the wifi still doesn't work even after the patch so you may want to try booting without caches then updating kext cache to get wifi to work (I'm using DW1560 wifi card)

I tried building the hackrNVMeFamily kext from rehabman's script to drop the kextstopatch but was having trouble patching it correctly as it kept giving me duplicate class when trying to boot with it. Although was the least of the issues I was having with sierra though, the ones I listed in the first link were a bit more problematic so I just moved back to El Cap until we have more solutions for sierra to play around with

PS: save your El Capitan installation USB as you can't download El Capitan from the App store anymore

I posted my experience with Sierra here

if anyone else is looking to try it the only thing I changed from the El capitan installation to get it to work is by adding the NVMe kextstopatch in clover from here if it isn't recognizing your SSD and darkvoid's wifi patch from the common issues thread in this forum to get the wifi to work. sometimes the wifi still doesn't work even after the patch so you may want to try booting without caches then updating kext cache to get wifi to work (I'm using DW1560 wifi card)

As expected: Always must boot without caches when you're introducing a patch that will help a kext load. It is because Clover can only patch things it loads.

I tried building the hackrNVMeFamily kext from rehabman's script to drop the kextstopatch but was having trouble patching it correctly as it kept giving me duplicate class when trying to boot with it.

You forgot to delete IONVMeFamily.kext as per README.

PS: save your El Capitan installation USB as you can't download El Capitan from the App store anymore

Not true. If you previously downloaded 10.11, you can still download from the App Store -> Purchases.

You forgot to delete IONVMeFamily.kext as per README.

Not true. If you previously downloaded 10.11, you can still download from the App Store -> Purchases.
Oh I must have missed that, thank you. and in my app store it say "downloaded" under the purchased tab when I hadn't downloaded it on that installation and wouldn't let me download it. But I was looking at it from a virtual box machine so maybe it was just acting funny

Oh I must have missed that, thank you. and in my app store it say "downloaded" under the purchased tab when I hadn't downloaded it on that installation and wouldn't let me download it. But I was looking at it from a virtual box machine so maybe it was just acting funny

You must have the installer somewhere... You must delete all copies (even from the trash).

Hello :wave:

So I've been very AFK for the past few months on vacation and then as soon as I got back University started, I have been reading up on hackintosh a lot more so I feel like I might actually be getting somewhere now (whereas before I didn't know what a kext was). I'm going to be upfront - I'm still really confused, I'll let you know why later.

So far this is what I've been able to accomplish:

-Install macOS Sierra 10.12.0 (release, not testing beta anymore) on an external HDD
-Learn how to patch vanilla kexts
-Learn the basics of where certain files should and should not go
-Learn the back-end of a few of the boot-arguments

This is what I'm still unsure of:
-How can I tell if a kext has loaded - I used Helicos' CLOVER Folder that he has linked above (since our systems are about 90% Identical) but once I boot into the OS, I see the screen flickering in some places and I also note that the amount of graphics memory I have is about 1500MB whereas I know my system can go to at least 4000MB

When I got macOS Sierra 10.12.0 installed on my external HDD, here's a list of all of the issues I encountered:
-Initially I would always get a "couldn't allocate runtime area" error in verbose mode (prohibited signage without -v), the fix for me to this was simply to go into clover-configurator or just the config.plist and change the timeout settings.
-Wifi Doesn't work (I also ordered the DW1650 however just because it seems to be much more compatible)
-Bluetooth doesn't work. On the XPS 13, the wifi card and the bluetooth card are merged into one card essentially.
-Sound doesn't work
-SSD's not detecting while booted in RAID
-Touch Screen Doesn't work well - but that's okay.

I've set aside 70 GB on my SSD now to install OSX onto my laptop but:
-KP when AHCI in BIOS, How do I debug Kernel Panics?
-Unibeast installer hangs when booting into OS half-way through printing a line in verbose (first time I've ever seen that)
-Crashes when RAID but no KP output... Recently underwent BIOS Update however so perhaps that may be the case?

What I currently want to do:
-Install macOS on internal SSD 70GB Partition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back